Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Joe Ferrari & Gemma Gifford leave NCFC.

Joe Ferrari Director of Communications and Gemma Gifford Head of Media have left the Club due to a management restructure.

Edited by TIL 1010

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Restructure ?

Meaning "we decided we didn't need those positions anymore", but they have to jump through certain legal hoops to make sure there's no grounds for unfair dismissal.

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

Were the fans consulted about this?

They're still debating whether there should be free tampons......

• Haha 1

Joe’s taken redundancy and looking for new career, just spoke to him on Linked in. 18 years here, hopefully will get a great job, lovely guy and wish him all the best.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Indy said:

Joe’s taken redundancy and looking for new career, just spoke to him on Linked in. 18 years here, hopefully will get a great job, lovely guy and wish him all the best.

I remember Joe from when there was a message board on the official club site. I can’t remember when it was culled but it was clearly too much trouble to keep control of the opinions of the general public. Archant are clearly far more bad-****.

27 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I remember Joe from when there was a message board on the official club site. I can’t remember when it was culled but it was clearly too much trouble to keep control of the opinions of the general public. Archant are clearly far more bad-****.

Yes I knew him from there too, that and at the ground. He’s always been very approachable and courteous.

47 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes I knew him from there too, that and at the ground. He’s always been very approachable and courteous.

And me. Seemed a good guy.

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I posted this on the other thread:

Funnily enough I was wondering the other day if he was still at the club. I remember he had the sometimes tricky job of monitoring and moderating the message-board on the official site. There was a bit of a cabal of posters there who hated Delia with a passion unequalled by anyone here (seriously) and who also had a less than perfect understanding of the laws of libel.

Joe allowed valid criticism of the club, and of Smith and Jones, but this cabal went way beyond. Not just attacking S&J but attacking and driving away posters who didn't agree with them. He warned more than once that they risked having the messageboard shut down (I think we were in the McNally era by then, as Archant found out the hard way about what the club wanted and didn't want published) but they carried on, and one day found they didn't have a message-board anymore. All their own stupid fault.

No idea what is behind this revamp, but I hope we are not moving either back to that McNally era, or to some purely PR "good news good/bad news doesn't exist" operation.

PS. On the Brexit thread there have been accusations that  this poster or that has multiple personalities. When I wrote my history/explanation of Cullumgate this went down extremely badly with the cabal members, who were very much pro the take-over. And one particular idiot decided that I didn't exist.. I was an alias used by Joe to spread this pro-S&J spin. Joe made a rare appearance to categorically deny this, to be met with the response:

"Oh come on Joe, we KNOW it's you!"

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

The media released by the club has been very good for a while. Hope that doesn’t change.

Indeed the new membership scheme went down well 😉😉

Get on the wrong side of Mr Webber and his good lady you'll be toast. As I suspect Steve Stone discovered not so long ago.

To be fair this may be a genuine restructuring in which case decisions have to made although I think sentiment counts for little in the equation.

Decent people lose their jobs all the time - particularly due to such restructuring, it’s just a hard fact of life nowadays and not necessarily anything ‘bad’ from the club. Hopefully these guys will find new positions, Joe has been at the club donkeys years so may have big shoes to fill (though of course the role will be different in order to comply with redundancy rules) - perhaps with local media.

Joe Ferrari says that he accepted redundancy which i believe means that his position cannot be filled for 6 months ( i am sure i will be corrected if that is incorrect ) so as he had the title of Director of Communications and likewise Gemma Gifford who had the title Head of media to me it appears a total rebranding of how the club deals with the outside world at Carrow Road is about to take place.

He was never my cup of tea after he actually rung me at home when I was a teenager threatening to ban me from the stadium because I made a close to the knuckle joke (it may admittedly have referenced rape) on the old message board. Still, thought it a tad excessive. 

He did tip me a couple of quid when I delivered him a pizza when I was at Papa John's though, so he achieved some redemption. 

Edited by canarydan23

On 22/06/2019 at 07:40, PurpleCanary said:

No idea what is behind this revamp, but I hope we are not moving either back to that McNally era, or to some purely PR "good news good/bad news doesn't exist" operation.

If there is a wide-ranging restructuring going on, and perhaps Joe and Gemma will not be the only people to leave, the question arises as to who is in charge of this. We do not have an executive or semi-executive chairman, as we did with Bowkett, and to an extent with Balls. In fact we don't have a chairman at all. And we don't have a CEO, as we did with Doncaster or McNally or Moxey.

That seems to leave the triumvirate - operating below board level - of Webber, Ward and Kensell. That would indicate them having a large amount of practical power. I hope they are coming under sufficient scrutiny at board level, no matter how good a job they might appear to be doing..

• Like 2

I'm going to raise this as a question but is there a close connection to the whole membership furore here - who is in charge of engagement at the Carra at the moment and who made the wrong call?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I'm going to raise this as a question but is there a close connection to the whole membership furore here - who is in charge of engagement at the Carra at the moment and who made the wrong call?

Shef, the membership scheme was sold to fans by Ben Kensell, who is one of these three. I think Danny Casey is head of ticketing but I cannot imagine under the management structure we have now that this was ultimately his decision. This was approved higher up, either by the triumvirate or the board. Which is not to say Casey might not get the blame!

On 21/06/2019 at 22:03, Indy said:

Amen to that. I've known Joe since his Archant days, he's an absolute gent and genuinely one of the funniest people I've ever met to spend an evening in the pub with.

I would say it is the operational side of the Club that is now in need of bolstering. Steve Stone was not on the football side apart from sorting out the finances after McNally had done the deal. Around this time the Club also had an Operations manager who was excellent , had worked at Wembley and went to Crystal Palace. This then fell to Jon Leggett who left a few months back. Another good guy.

The CEO being replaced by a Football man is great on the pitch , but the Club needs background operations to be managed and currently this appears to fall to the finance guys , and the legal dept , over seen by Ben Kensall . There could be a day to day disconnect here and making some  "marketing/  PR"  roles redundant possibly in favour of operations makes sense from the outside looking in. Don't forget that with a promotion comes a whole host of extra work under contract with Sky and some tight time frames.    , Add into that everything that has happened at Colney, and these guys are doing impressions of Azure Bottomed Insects. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

On 23/06/2019 at 09:13, PurpleCanary said:

If there is a wide-ranging restructuring going on, and perhaps Joe and Gemma will not be the only people to leave, the question arises as to who is in charge of this. We do not have an executive or semi-executive chairman, as we did with Bowkett, and to an extent with Balls. In fact we don't have a chairman at all. And we don't have a CEO, as we did with Doncaster or McNally or Moxey.

That seems to leave the triumvirate - operating below board level - of Webber, Ward and Kensell. That would indicate them having a large amount of practical power. I hope they are coming under sufficient scrutiny at board level, no matter how good a job they might appear to be doing..

The boy Webber was brought in as sporting director, but with some of the public comments he has been making, such as every department at the club having to up their game to compete in the EPL, it appears that the boy is pretty much running the show and is chief executive in all but name.

Regarding scrutiny, it appears that the club is getting players for free on purpose just because it worked with the pie man. Football has never been an exact science so to try and make frees as the way forward for the EPL has relegation written all over it. The club got lucky with Pukki - it is not going to be replicated over and over. The EPL requires quality which requires money.

Norwich City still have this obsession with attacking players and if they are not to lose 15-3 against Man City and others, where are the goalkeepers, centre-backs and DMs for this league?