Dean Coneys boots

Are we missing out on primary targets?

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Not in the slightest, keeping Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis and Beundia is key to a good premiership campaign.

We’ve already signed a very good youngster on loan who can play attacking midfield, on the wing and a very strong back up for Pukki.

We’ve also signed a very good youngster who can play as a holding midfielder, yes he might be young, but if hes good enough he’ll get his chance.

As far as I’m concerned I’d rather buy or loan players who can improve our starting 11 not just squad players, we have enough squad players as we are.

I for one wouldn’t mind if Rhodes didn’t come back here, as much as he’d love the move I don’t think he’d be any improvement on what we already have for the money he’d demand. 

Roberts isn’t a striker. Not sure why the PinkUn ever said he was. 

Who is the holding midfielder?

The thing is, who decides what signings are ‘acceptable’?  Precisely how much business is ‘right’ and by when? - thing is, we’ve extended the contracts of, what, 5-6 players, got in a decent loan signing and signed young Adshead (if ‘one for the future’).  That’s obviously not enough for the start of the season, but is surely pretty reasonable for now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

must be assuming the lad from Arsenal.

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Adshead is, he’s a ball winning midfielder from reports, is he not?

As for Roberts, his primary position is winger but the lad is very much multi purpose and probably do a job up top, he’s certainly can score.

What areas do we need to cover with affordable signings or loanees.

Wide player covered with Roberts.  Right Back in abeyance needs to be signed as a priority.  Defensive Midfielder maybe required really fancy Tom T to thrive in PL, Tettey may not thrive perhaps we may need cover here but DM's are a breed in demand.  New striker is a definite requirement and may require the bulk of our transfer kitty.

Whatever we should not spend over the odds and put our financial situation into a parlous state.

Although we would all wish to see signings early patience is likely to be required but having a deadline of Aug 8th might mean missing out on late signings.

Must trust Webber to get it right.  

Asking if we can improve what we have and get in what we need to survive - with a frugal budget-  is not pant wetting but a fair question.

Can one operate sanely in an insane market? As has been stated it is very easy to waste extraordinary money on bang ordinary players...but it is just as easy to aim a little too low and miss survival for the sake of one or two decent signings 

it is indeed a tightrope with pitfalls either side. I am all for a cautious and sensible approach but not for being so very cautious that we look the gift horse of promotion in the mouth and don’t make a decent attempt to stay up. 

• Like 1

Did we ever really need Turnbull? We have Cantwell who has done a decent enough job last season and will only get better the more he plays!

44 minutes ago, Indy said:

Adshead is, he’s a ball winning midfielder from reports, is he not?

As for Roberts, his primary position is winger but the lad is very much multi purpose and probably do a job up top, he’s certainly can score.

Adshead is an attacking midfielder. Primarily used as a 10 by Rochdale. 

Roberts has never played as a striker in his career. He scored 15 in 55 games for Celtic, which is a decent return but not sure it highlights him as a goal scorer. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I am all for a cautious and sensible approach but not for being so very cautious that we look the gift horse of promotion in the mouth and don’t make a decent attempt to stay up. 

But is Farke on the gift horse?

More seriously, everyone seems to be writing Alex Tettey off as a Premier League-standard defensive midfielder. Short memories IMHO - he was playing really well when he was in the team regularly in the first half of last season (I was never a fan, but completely changed my mind about him). He might surprise a few people. After all, he's one of the few players in the squad with PL experience.

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

But is Farke on the gift horse?

More seriously, everyone seems to be writing Alex Tettey off as a Premier League-standard defensive midfielder. Short memories IMHO - he was playing really well when he was in the team regularly in the first half of last season (I was never a fan, but completely changed my mind about him). He might surprise a few people. After all, he's one of the few players in the squad with PL experience.

To be fair I'd argue he wasn't very good when we were last in the Premier League so I'm not surprised people might not think he's up to it.

Sorry, I don't think Tettey is up to the PL anymore... He's got experience and will be a valuable squad member ,but I don't think he will cut the mustard...I mean as a regular starter

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tettey leaves this summer. He isn’t going to get much game time next season and this is the last year of his deal. Can see a return to Norway for him. 

He played in the Russ- Wes game, not sure if thats an indication but must admit I was a bit surprised he did.

I'd be disappointed to lose Tettey this summer. OK, he isn't going to play much, but he's good for cover and good to have around the place.

Also, loyalty works both ways. He could've left on a free last summer and we begged him to stay, so he signed a new contract. Unless he actively wants to leave, it would be a classless move to discard him now.

• Like 2

When I looked at our first the team the one position that I would say needs a standout starter is DM. That is not a knock at TT but that position is so critical and as I gave said before I do not think we have got it right for so many years.

I think TT will do really well and will get game time and I can see AT being great cover.

Roberts covers the wide position.

We need a second striker, a number 10 and cover at right back.

TBH I believe we need the number 10 to be really pushing Marco.

I think leaving would mostly come from Tettey. He only has a few seasons left in his career - sitting around as third choice DM (should Norwich sign another) probably isn’t he idea of the best way to spend one of them. 

Due to his wages I can’t see anyone wanting to pay a fee for him, so would require a bit of goodwill from Norwich. However, I don’t think the club would stand in his way. 

There is only so much capacity in the Norwich budget for ‘good guys to have in the dressing room’. Norwich can’t afford to let players hang around out of sentiment. 

I doubt anything has been decided yet, but I can see him as one of the more likely players to leave. 

1 minute ago, smooth said:

When I looked at our first the team the one position that I would say needs a standout starter is DM. That is not a knock at TT but that position is so critical and as I gave said before I do not think we have got it right for so many years.

I think TT will do really well and will get game time and I can see AT being great cover.

Roberts covers the wide position.

We need a second striker, a number 10 and cover at right back.

TBH I believe we need the number 10 to be really pushing Marco.

I'm not convinced that a number ten is a priority. I imagine we'll be slightly more conservative this year in midfield, and as a result Vrancic or McLean may play in the hole. 

I think a new defensive midfielder, Trybull, Tettey, Leitner, Vrancic, McLean and Stiepermann could be enough. That's seven players for three positions, which is effectively a holding player, a deep playmaker and an attacking midfielder.

Priority signings for me are the defensive midfielder, two centre forwards (one to challenge Pukki and one to be a backup), a right back to cover for Aarons and a goalkeeper to challenge Krul. 

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

He played in the Russ- Wes game, not sure if thats an indication but must admit I was a bit surprised he did.

Wasn't that mostly out of loyalty and recognition of playing with Wes and Russ for most of his time here?

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Priority signings for me are the defensive midfielder, two centre forwards (one to challenge Pukki and one to be a backup), a right back to cover for Aarons and a goalkeeper to challenge Krul. 

Agree (mostly) - assuming Rhodes is the back up striker, but I'd say any keeper would be as back up rather than to challenge.

Excited by who the CDM and striker will be - I suspect that's where most of our budget will be spent.

well the striker was free... meaning we have only spent £300k on transfer fees so far. (though clearly more on renewed contracts etc)

That is quite some CDM coming our way... or are we going to be the first team entering the Prem to spend less than most championship sides in the close season? 

Deano, our mantra is ' not how much we spend, but what we spend it on'.  I sincerely believe that there are players out there that would improve us, but not at the silly prices that feature in the press football rumour sections. Don't ask me to name them, I am not a Scout or expert but have great faith in our current recruitment policy. Our opinions and angst will have no bearing on what the Club decides. The Club is building something .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Deano, our mantra is ' not how much we spend, but what we spend it on'.  I sincerely believe that there are players out there that would improve us, but not at the silly prices that feature in the press football rumour sections. Don't ask me to name them, I am not a Scout or expert but have great faith in our current recruitment policy. Our opinions and angst will have no bearing on what the Club decides. The Club is building something .

We also have the loan market to tap in to lets not forget and that doesn’t usually happen properly until after clubs have done business, although clearly we already have Roberts.

Suspect we’ll be dipping in again before the season starts.

Confused with the GK situation, why give McGovern another contract if we want another, unless of course Oxborough is off for loan experience.

2 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

We also have the loan market to tap in to lets not forget and that doesn’t usually happen properly until after clubs have done business, although clearly we already have Roberts.

Suspect we’ll be dipping in again before the season starts.

Confused with the GK situation, why give McGovern another contract if we want another, unless of course Oxborough is off for loan experience.

Definitely what will (and should) happen. Much as it'd be lovely for Aston to be around the squad while we're in the PL, realistically he's much better off getting a full season of EPL action than playing for our U23s and possibly getting the odd game in the cups. If we do need to use a third-choice keeper at any point in the season, McGovern is an experienced international. If we don't, McGovern will be more than happy just to be around the place without kicking up a fuss at his lack of game time.

I suspect the club don’t rate Oxborough that highly.

The fact that even with the bite of the home grown rules, Farke wouldn’t regularly put him on the bench suggests he is some way behind McGovern. I wonder if Oxborough was even behind McCracken in pecking order but he also isn’t home grown. 

21 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I suspect the club don’t rate Oxborough that highly.

The fact that even with the bite of the home grown rules, Farke wouldn’t regularly put him on the bench suggests he is some way behind McGovern. I wonder if Oxborough was even behind McCracken in pecking order but he also isn’t home grown. 

Billy Johnson is also quite highly rated, isn't he? I know @Parma Ham's gone mouldy is a big fan. Billy will be 20 in September, so maybe he's also seen as a better prospect?

17 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Billy Johnson is also quite highly rated, isn't he? I know @Parma Ham's gone mouldy is a big fan. Billy will be 20 in September, so maybe he's also seen as a better prospect?

Plus Mair now so think we’re reasonably well covered in the ‘future’ GK position so guess logically a third experienced GK makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Plus Mair now so think we’re reasonably well covered in the ‘future’ GK position so guess logically a third experienced GK makes sense.

Oh god yeah I forgot we signed him earlier this week! Good position to be in, I guess - whoever develops the best out of Oxborough, McCracken, Johnson and Mair must have an excellent chance of becoming a future number one.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Oh god yeah I forgot we signed him earlier this week! Good position to be in, I guess - whoever develops the best out of Oxborough, McCracken, Johnson and Mair must have an excellent chance of becoming a future number one.

I believe McCracken has turned down a new contract and his current one expires on Sunday.

Mair is in to replace him - annoying Mair also isn’t homegrown (yet). 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Mair is in to replace him - annoying Mair also isn’t homegrown (yet). 

Is that a huge issue, though? Under-21s don't have to be registered and by the time he reaches the first team squad then he probably will have completed his three years.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Is that a huge issue, though? Under-21s don't have to be registered and by the time he reaches the first team squad then he probably will have completed his three years.

It is an annoyance at most - but a homegrown back up keeper is a good way to fill one of the quota with the least impact. If Oxborough wasn’t around Norwich would have been forced into more youth players over first teamers on the bench. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It is an annoyance at most - but a homegrown back up keeper is a good way to fill one of the quota with the least impact. If Oxborough wasn’t around Norwich would have been forced into more youth players over first teamers on the bench. 

That rule only applies in the Championship though, if I'm not mistaken. Should we be relegated, we can always loan Mair out for his development and use a different young keeper for this emergency if need be.