unique

David Turnbull to Celtic

I remember Asa Hartford failing a medical at Leeds back in the seventies, hole in the heart if I remember correctly. Of course West Brom did finally sell him to Man C. he went to the World Cup with Scotland and won the Milk Cup with us.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Interesting, but whatever the issue is could depend on the club's medical staff and what risks they are willing to take. Wasn't it Demba Ba who technically failed medicals at several clubs but played at a top level with very few issues

I think clubs just make them up as they go along. Ex-Villa defender Aly Cissokho once failed a medical at Milan because of his teeth.

I’m sure when we signed Martin Peters there was a tale about him failing a medical or something? I mean, he didn’t, but sure the gaffer said something about if he failed the medical to sack the doctor...

20 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I’m sure when we signed Martin Peters there was a tale about him failing a medical or something? I mean, he didn’t, but sure the gaffer said something about if he failed the medical to sack the doctor...

I stand corrected by the old man..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/ron-davies-prolific-southampton-striker-hailed-by-matt-busby-as-the-best-centre-forward-in-europe-8638550.html

I'm wondering, maybe Celtic feel his agent hoodwinked them with the interest from us. Holding them to ransom for a better deal, once we were out of the equation, Celtic looked for a way to reduce his value..... sounds like Millwall are doing the same thing with 1p5wich over Bialkowski.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think clubs just make them up as they go along. Ex-Villa defender Aly Cissokho once failed a medical at Milan because of his teeth.

Wonder how Luis Suarez ever made it. 😷

2 hours ago, vlad666 said:

Wonder how Luis Suarez ever made it. 😷

Yes but he's now got VAR to contend with.

A lot those goals he scored would now likely be ruled out by the camera catching his teeth offside.

(The old ones are still the best.)

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

A lot those goals he scored would now likely be ruled out by the camera catching his teeth offside.

Mesut Ozil has the same offside problem, only it's his eyes, not his teeth that cross the line first.

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Mesut Ozil has the same offside problem, only it's his eyes, not his teeth that cross the line first.

What was Dion Dublin's problem then?

Remind me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Dammit, i had the same thought but was a couple of hours too late!

As Splendid says - and further to my previous posts - that a medical is failed and Celtic nonetheless try to renegotiate the deal implies that Celtic feel they have been squeezed somewhat and are retaliating. Webber may indeed have been an accomplice to Motherwell / Turnbull / Turnbull’s Agent to ensure maximum transfer value and wages as previously surmised, indeed his TNC interview states that he knew Turnbull ‘had his heart set on Celtic’  and Webber stuck to a cute script and kept a poker face without appearing devastated at all. A player who has his heart set elsewhere would not appear to fit our model after all....indeed you wouldn’t think we would even ‘interview’ such a player.....

Such are the Machiavellian mechanics when millions are involved. 

Parma

• Like 1

A knee problem apparently, but they still wanted him “Having presented revised transfer terms to Motherwell, the clubs could not reach an agreement.”

Apples

On 26/06/2019 at 11:41, BroadstairsR said:

Or in his opponent's anatomy.

On 25/06/2019 at 23:30, splendidrush said:

I remember Asa Hartford failing a medical at Leeds back in the seventies, hole in the heart if I remember correctly. Of course West Brom did finally sell him to Man C. he went to the World Cup with Scotland and won the Milk Cup with us.

Yes he did and David Coleman with his usual lack of self-awareness described him later on Match of the Day as a 'whole-hearted' player! 

• Haha 1

Didn't Frank Worthington fail a medical due to high blood pressure because of his notorious nocturnal exploits? He was told to relax and sent on holiday but chose Majorca and couldn't stop himself making new female friends so returned and failed again.

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I presume Celtic will wait for Turnbull to have the operation and recover and then go back in to sign him in January. 

Probably saved us a few quid.

Assume Celtic wouldn't pay the full amount given he'd be out for a significant period. Wonder what our view on all this is. From what Webber said in the recent interview, I'd assume it's tough luck

The official statement from celtic was signed off "we wish David every success in the future" 

I wonder if the knee injury is more serious than is being let on. There is no reason for Celtic to publicly put the boot in..... plus they already did that. 

Apparently Celtic offered to take him on loan from Motherwell while he has his treatment and have an option to sign him next season. Motherwell turned that down - I guess they want either the player or the cash. 

As Norwich didn’t want him for first team football this season they might have still gone ahead with the deal. Turnbull never got to having his medical at Norwich so they never had to make the decision. I presume he now has to get his op, get fit and prove that he is still the player he was. 

Must be gutting for him personally to be so close to such a big move then it all to fall through. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Apparently Celtic offered to take him on loan from Motherwell while he has his treatment and have an option to sign him next season. Motherwell turned that down - I guess they want either the player or the cash. 

As Norwich didn’t want him for first team football this season they might have still gone ahead with the deal. Turnbull never got to having his medical at Norwich so they never had to make the decision. I presume he now has to get his op, get fit and prove that he is still the player he was. 

Must be gutting for him personally to be so close to such a big move then it all to fall through. 

Must be gutting for his bank manager too.

On 21/06/2019 at 00:56, Jools said:

Seriously, don't be disappointed-- We're not in the Seventies and Scottish players are the kiss of death these days -- We've already got two who can't make their dreadful national team and you'll struggle to find a Premier League squad with two Scots in it.

Be honest, you know both Hanley & McLean will play little to no part in the coming season.

You're not the only one, norfolkbroadslim 👆👆👆

On 21/06/2019 at 00:56, Jools said:

Seriously, don't be disappointed-- We're not in the Seventies and Scottish players are the kiss of death these days -- We've already got two who can't make their dreadful national team and you'll struggle to find a Premier League squad with two Scots in it.

Be honest, you know both Hanley & McLean will play little to no part in the coming season.

🤣

• Haha 1