unique

David Turnbull to Celtic

Disappointing end to this whirlwind saga as Turnbull appears to have chosen Celtic over Norwich.

Motherwell fans will be apoplectic!

Edited by unique

Yesterday's stories were clearly all agent talk, sadly we were the bait in this situation if he goes ahead. A shame, but at least this way he'll get a winners medal every season...

This means nothing to me... (oh, Vienna.) but if BYG says it’s not good, who am I to doubt it?

Not just a winner’s medal every season, but he’ll get a regular taste of losing in Europe when Celtic finally get to play against decent opposition.

I don’t suppose Farke could guarantee a regular first-team spot. Maybe Celtic can?

All a bit pointless - may have been an ok addition to the squad but all a bit ‘meh’; if he chooses the easy option up North that’s his loss.  It’s not really a position we needed to focus on but I guess you never stop looking if a potential player comes along.  

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This means nothing to me... (oh, Vienna.) but if BYG says it’s not good, who am I to doubt it?

Saying this is "not good" is likely BYG being polite. That's pisspoor.

He clearly prefers to watch paint dry every week !!! Not worth losing sleep over 

He could have had the opportunity to play in one of the most competitive leagues in the world, or could win every week in the best team in Scotland. It may have been too soon for him, he may not want to move from his home, he may have realised that playing against some of the worlds greatest was something he is not ready for.

I want players who want to be at the club proud to wear the shirt, are talented, but also have to right attitude.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Either he or his agent has handled this whole affair very poorly, doesn't reflect well on him.

If its got him (and his agent) and bigger transfer fee and wage out of Celtic off the back of drumming up interest from other clubs, I'd say they've handled it quite well?

• Like 2

That was my thought, GJL. 

Clear speculation from myself, but, if there were genuine interest from us, I wonder if we wouldn't guarentee him a place in the matchday squad, let alone the starting 11. Could of been a case of potentially watching from the stands/going out on loan, or at least making the bench for celtic. 

3 minutes ago, Redders Right Foot said:

That was my thought, GJL. 

Clear speculation from myself, but, if there were genuine interest from us, I wonder if we wouldn't guarentee him a place in the matchday squad, let alone the starting 11. Could of been a case of potentially watching from the stands/going out on loan, or at least making the bench for celtic. 

What we dont know about him is if he's a celtic fan?....the lure of any young Scot especially if he is of that persuasion is going to be hard to turn down.....even if he cant see the bigger picture of playing in a league where Kilmarnock finished 3rd to be the poorer career move

2 hours ago, unique said:

Disappointing end to this whirlwind saga as Turnbull appears to have chosen Celtic over Norwich.

Motherwell fans will be apoplectic!

Seriously, don't be disappointed-- We're not in the Seventies and Scottish players are the kiss of death these days -- We've already got two who can't make their dreadful national team and you'll struggle to find a Premier League squad with two Scots in it.

Be honest, you know both Hanley & McLean will play little to no part in the coming season.

Edited by Jools
  • Sad 1

Highly doubt he was being offered first team football at City this coming season over Stiepermann, Leitner, Vrancic etc - not in a million years! - and once he found that out, and/or realised we wouldn’t be offering him the wages that Celtic were, then I guess he headed back up to Scotland with his tail between his legs. Would think it’s one of the two, most likely both. But to go and sign for a club that had just come out with ‘we won’t be losing sleep over it’, well, I know I wouldn’t want to go there! 

5 hours ago, Jools said:

Seriously, don't be disappointed-- We're not in the Seventies and Scottish players are the kiss of death these days -- We've already got two who can't make their dreadful national team and you'll struggle to find a Premier League squad with two Scots in it.

Be honest, you know both Hanley & McLean will play little to no part in the coming season.

Looks like Jools knows as little about football as he does about politics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, well great move for him, I hope he develops at Celtic. He looks a great player, maybe a little raw for the premier League. But as a youngster his development will move quickly by playing regular football.

I am not surprised, it felt like a few conversations were going on and I did wonder about his ambitions and potential demands. It felt from the reports he could rock the apple cart or maybe his attitude would be out of sorts with the squad.

But if the Webber and farke brought him down it proved they did.

I look at Buendia and feel he is much smoother and accomplished than Turnbull, so I hope we now revert back to look at players nearer his ability. I feel Turnbull is not at that level and happy for him to be signing at Celtic.

Think he was one for the future if we signed him. Basically we were somewhat used to bump up his pay packet to Celtic for whom he will presumably start in the first team far more often than he would here. Don't see this one as a great loss really. We are well stocked in that part of the field anyway.

I agree that this was going to be the outcome , he wants regular matchday football...so no reason to lose sleep about it , yet I am starting to lose a teeny weeny bit of sleep...we do need a couple of players...DM, GK, etc... 

Jools, wasn’t McLean Scotland’s best player in their recent qualifiers? According to a number of Scottish ex-playing pundits. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Redders Right Foot said:

Saying this is "not good" is likely BYG being polite. That's pisspoor.

Can you explain why? Like I say it’s gibberish to me.

• Like 1

A little disappointed, but was suspicious when the transfer was not announced the morning after the rumours. Seems like we've been used to get Celtic to cough up another 5k or so.

Ah well, he was always going to be a fringe player this season anyway.

Because we haven't signed many players yet , each transfer rumour that appears to have something in it , ie is believable , is hyped up! This lad has talent and would have been a good signing for the future (like eg. signing Maddison). But I don't think he would have walked his way into the matchday squad each saturday.
I think most City fans (me included) want to see somebody added to the squad that would have a decent chance of actually playing , never mind making the matchday squad! And that is the difficult proposition that Webber and co are facing...these kind of players will not be cheap ( ref. PL tax)!
Good comment from Clint regarding McLean , he's most definitely one of the "stand out" Scottish players atm , you could see in the qualifier against Belgium that he was one of the few that could hold on to the ball and pass it...didn't have a lot of options though...

Certainly not disappointed by this. It looks to me that he thought he would get much more money coming to a PL club and found out that we were not going to give him much more than Celtic would have done. Then there would be the obvious thing that he would not be guaranteed a place in the team - whereas at Celtic he has much more chance of making an impact. 

It just shows how difficult it can be to get a player over the line......so he's not coming to a PL club and also one of the best clubs for player development in the country.....it's his loss.

• Like 1

Shame, looks to be a huge talent. But in our position, you win some and lose some. We signed the lad from Rochdale, but lost this one. Hey, ho. 

The massive positive is that we look to be going after the right kind of players, and more so have identified several players of similar standard for the roles we are recruiting for. 

Edited by Il Pirata

Win some, lose some. No malice from me. Terms seem to be the sticking point and if we didn't want to pay what he wanted then that is good enough.

Just because we have a bit of money now doesn't make us a soft touch. I hope we did bargain hard.

The word was last weekend he was very close to signing for Celtic and he wasn't very far away from agreeing the terms so it looks like he's used our interest to get what he wants.

He could be very good...or he could be the next Mark Fotheringham.

Apples

9 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

What we dont know about him is if he's a celtic fan?....the lure of any young Scot especially if he is of that persuasion is going to be hard to turn down.....even if he cant see the bigger picture of playing in a league where Kilmarnock finished 3rd to be the poorer career move

There’s also the consideration of not having to relocate from where he lives now. It smacks of a lack of ambition in many ways but it’s his career and we have to respect his choices. 

Whilst I was quite keen on Turnbull coming to Norwich because it represented a continuation of our successful policy of signing these promising youngsters, I never believed the hype.

It seems that almost daily these young future world-beaters come to the surface in the media, all duly interesting the usual array of the big boys, from the Barcelonas to the Liverpools.

Same with this boy, the best thing to come out of Scotland since Conor McGrandles apparently.

Why then was it that only Celtic and Norwich seemed willing to commit?

This boy might eventually turn out to be the superstar that finally propels his country into the latter stages of the World Cup, or he might not.

City's interest in him was laudable, it could have been an expensive mistake though and it seemed that our risk limit was stretched by this consideration.

2 hours ago, Clint said:

Jools, wasn’t McLean Scotland’s best player in their recent qualifiers? According to a number of Scottish ex-playing pundits. 

Just checked and yes, apparently so.

He was rated best player against world beaters Cyprus & San Marino 🙃