Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

VAR & New rules together chaos reigns

Watching snippets of the woman’s World Cup ( as an aside impressed with standard) it strikes to introduce VAR and some significant rule changes   (Hand ball, penalties etc ) at the same time, is leading to chaos and will create major frustrations next year!!! Again trying to make perfection and failing badly !!! 

Hope that lessons are learned from the Women's WC, call me a sceptic, but somehow I suspect they wont be.

Prem have already announced penalty taking won't be reviewed so that's a step in the right direction. VAR is great in principle, just never needs the ref to be involved, they should act on the info given to them by VAR rather than seeing it themselves, otherwise it slows things down far too much

Agree with the OP, we had another contentious decision this evening in the USA v Sweden game, which seems to be a poor review/interpretation in respect of the second USA goal, I really do not get how the USA player in an offside position and who is challenging for the ball, distracting a Swedish defender is not interfering with play. I also doubt that lessons will be learned. I am actually a fan of VAR but I am dreading it being used so poorly in the Prem as it has been in the Womens World Cup........

A visible stop-clock should be introduced alongside VAR.

It seems to work well in Rugby Union, and it would clarify to managers, players and fans alike exactly what time is left towards the end of a game. VAR will introduce ridiculous amounts of minutes after the ‘90’ which no doubt will add unnecessary controversy.

• Like 3

As soon as the ref knows the situation is being reviewed they should go straight over to their tv, not stand around with their finger in their ear. It’s taking far too long and the time isn’t being added on at the end of the game

9 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Agree with the OP, we had another contentious decision this evening in the USA v Sweden game, which seems to be a poor review/interpretation in respect of the second USA goal, I really do not get how the USA player in an offside position and who is challenging for the ball, distracting a Swedish defender is not interfering with play. I also doubt that lessons will be learned. I am actually a fan of VAR but I am dreading it being used so poorly in the Prem as it has been in the Womens World Cup........

I think it is a combination of VAR coming in at the same time as rules changes/new interpretations and some of those changes/interpretations being highly contentious. And also as I understand it the referees in this World Cup are having to grapple with VAR for the first time, because it hasn't been roadtested in the women's game.

The "arm in unnatural position'" for handball is one. Players have got away in the past with having their arms outstretched but not actually moving the arm to the ball, so I get the idea behind the change. But sometimes it is impossible not to have the arm out a bit, and already there are cases of players deliberately kicking the ball at an arm to get a penalty.

And that USA goal was plainly offside. The Sweden player only went for the ball because the USA attacker was offside, and that intervention immediately affected what happened to the USA's benefit. But there it is the ludicrous interpretation and not VAR to blame.

Against that,it was about time a stop was put to goalies moving before a penalty kick. It was the case that linesmen were supposed to watch for that, but I cannot remember a case where that happened. If VAR stops that then fine, and I don't understand why that shouldn't be implemented in the Premier League next season,  if it isn't going to be.

I wonder how long before there will be a call for a substitution to be allowed for an "expert" penalty taker to come on, score and then go off again. The call will be that the game is so important now that with the increase in penalties that will emerge from VAR, the top clubs need some help.

So VAR is going to be different in some leagues. Ridiculous.

I don't know. Not really a fan! Although it will iron out some ref errors, it will also cause way more hassle than it's worth and slow games down massively.

With the idea of replaying VAR decisions on big screens (if a ground has one) to also come into play, I feel this could lead to a way more toxic atmosphere than is necessary!

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wonder how long before there will be a call for a substitution to be allowed for an "expert" penalty taker to come on, score and then go off again. The call will be that the game is so important now that with the increase in penalties that will emerge from VAR, the top clubs need some help.

So VAR is going to be different in some leagues. Ridiculous.

Seems logical kg, we'd end up with penalty takers who can't actually play football. With our record last season, my Mum, who's 84, could have bettered our tally in her slippers. 

38 minutes ago, Woodman said:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/7-new-rule-changes-are-coming-premier-league-are-they-good-or-bad

Did I also read that if a keeper saves a penalty or it hits the post/bar and comes back into play, that it can't be followed up and put into the goal by the penalty taker or another player (i.e. like it is in a shoot out)?

Yep. I'm sure I saw that too. But looking at the rules again and the only thing it says on pens is about the goalkeeper not being allowed to move off the line, rattle the crossbar or do knee wobbling and the like.

Edited by BobLoz3

43 minutes ago, Woodman said:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/7-new-rule-changes-are-coming-premier-league-are-they-good-or-bad

Did I also read that if a keeper saves a penalty or it hits the post/bar and comes back into play, that it can't be followed up and put into the goal by the penalty taker or another player (i.e. like it is in a shoot out)?

Ah, ok, this clears it up

https://www.90min.com/posts/6311923-ifab-approves-several-new-law-changes-but-falsely-reported-penalty-rebound-rule-not-among-them

• Thanks 1