Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Membership scheme talks to be held

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

.....this still doesnt safeguard the possibility of fans of other clubs who cant get into their home section paying £50 to join the lottery of getting a ticket in the away section with us , jumping ahead of people who have paid £500+ on a home season ticket at carrow rd to at least prove theyre a norwich fan??

If the membership was a tenner it might be worth it but I doubt any  opposition supporter will be paying 50 quid for the chance of getting a 30 quid ticket when we play their team. 

And there you have the reason why the membership fee isn't an insignificant sum.

6000 memberships sold. And counting...
Will likely be more than that by the time the season starts

1 hour ago, GMF said:

How is season ticket holders having to pay for priority access to away tickets (something that was previously free) not a paywall? Ditto for members who now, potentially, have to acquire a second membership if they wish to acquire home and away tickets? The FSA certainly thinks it’s a paywall.

Yes I realise that. But the paywall was already there. I'm not saying I agree with it.

You mention season ticket holders and they have not done very well out of these changes. The basic membership that was included in the price has been taken away and at the same time the price differential between ST and casual match day prices has been removed. This effects nearly 25,000 fans?

It is what it is and I guess we have to decide if the tickets are still worth buying. Or not renew. However these changes were made after season tickets were renewed which also seems odd.

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes I realise that. But the paywall was already there. I'm not saying I agree with it.

You mention season ticket holders and they have not done very well out of these changes. The basic membership that was included in the price has been taken away and at the same time the price differential between ST and casual match day prices has been removed. This effects nearly 25,000 fans?

It is what it is and I guess we have to decide if the tickets are still worth buying. Or not renew. However these changes were made after season tickets were renewed which also seems odd.

I must admit it’s a bit of a sideways move by City, it’s always been very Support focused, but certainly looks in recent times it’s moved into a more commercial company as it becomes self sufficient.

Does this mean it looks at all fans casuals and season ticket holders as Customers?

I have to admit I haven't felt anywhere near as strongly about this as some. As Nutty mentioned, which I hadn't considered before, if we simply charged £30 a ticket they would need to go on general sale. There has to be some way of prioritising otherwise it would be one huge mad unfair scramble and this system dosent seem that off the wall to me.

A couple of things could have been done to improve the situation in my opinion.

Having two memberships for home and away seems harsh for non season ticket holders, particularly for those that live away and can't get to many home games. A single membership fee would be fairer.

Secondly a cap on priority memberships makes sense otherwise we have the prospect of disgruntled fans moaning they have paid their £50 and still can't get a ticket. Particularly so for the £35 members who look likely to only seldom having the option to buy tickets because the uncapped numbers of priority members will have bought them all. Either a cap or a single tier of membership fee.

54 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I have to admit I haven't felt anywhere near as strongly about this as some. As Nutty mentioned, which I hadn't considered before, if we simply charged £30 a ticket they would need to go on general sale. There has to be some way of prioritising otherwise it would be one huge mad unfair scramble and this system dosent seem that off the wall to me.

A couple of things could have been done to improve the situation in my opinion.

Having two memberships for home and away seems harsh for non season ticket holders, particularly for those that live away and can't get to many home games. A single membership fee would be fairer.

Secondly a cap on priority memberships makes sense otherwise we have the prospect of disgruntled fans moaning they have paid their £50 and still can't get a ticket. Particularly so for the £35 members who look likely to only seldom having the option to buy tickets because the uncapped numbers of priority members will have bought them all. Either a cap or a single tier of membership fee.

Cant see too many buying a £35 standard membership....if we think paying £50 for a premium carries a risk of only getting the possibility of something back ....£35 is risking throwing it away and getting nothing in return

Had a reply to my letter today in the form of a phone call from Ben Kensell.

He explained the situation again, pretty much in line with what he has said already in interviews, but I pushed him on the having to buy two memberships as an exile and that there ought to be an option for some kind of joint membership being available at less cost than the £100 outlay I and others will have to pay to enter the ticket lottery. He wouldn't say much on that other than to say that I should be able to get tickets when I want them, as long as I get in early in the process each sales window.  So that is how it will have to be for this season.

Very good to talk to him and appreciated the personal touch of a phone call. He stressed he wanted feedback on how things go with getting tickets so it will be interesting to see what happens through the season......but I shall be very disappointed if I shell out £100 for nothing and will let him know that! 

Time to get on with it now, but there is no doubt in my mind the reaction to the scheme got a lot more negative feedback than the club thought.  Plainly there will be more consultation with fans and hopefully lessons learned, but the proof of the pudding for me will be if I get enough tickets to justify the £100 outlay. 

• Like 4