Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Membership scheme talks to be held

5 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

I have a season ticket so will be at the home games. I don't really travel away that often, so this whole thing doesn't irk me as much as others. I'm just thinking that it was brought in so we could keep home games at a lower rate without losing too much money.

But what was the point of bringing in memberships at all, particularly home memberships ?

I gather we have only 1500 casual tickets which are going to sell out for virtually every match regardless of price. It would have been better to have let things stand as they were for the last time we were in the Premier League

18 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Someone on Facebook yesterday reckoned we’ve sold 7,000 premier away memberships and expect to have at least 8,000 although no idea if that is accurate.

I've seen it said that we're going to have 10,000 home premier memberships- although I don't know if that's accurate. With 1,500 tickets available per match, and probably only two matches for which I'm in the country (Palace and Spurs over the new year), there's a chance that I've paid for a premier membership and won't even be able to get tickets.

For interest, let's assume the scenario that the Club has sold 8,000 away Premier memberships.  Who knows if they have, but we have to start somewhere.

It isn't clear to me (I'm not a lawyer) where the legal protection rests here. As it is the Membership that is the issue rather than the goods themselves (i.e. the tickets). I don't know if the Consumer Rights Act apply.  

The Laws of Contract however are clear - in that a contract has an intention. It seems clear to me that the intention of joining a membership was to REASONABLY increase your chances of gaining a ticket for an away game, and in consideration you paid £50 (plus a bizzare £1.50 fee which seemed rather arbitrary) .

My point that has been made before on here is that if selling a membership for £51.50 has, in practice very little effect on whether I get the ticket or not, then the Membership has , by implication, been missold.

The main point here is the failure to cap the membership. The Club needs to be transparent. NCFC knows that they have around 3000 tickets per game, that they have 750 hard core supporters , and that in the early part of the season demand will probably outweigh supply. It would be easy to say they are going to sell a limited membership in the first instance (say 2000) and if you are buying the membership you are likely to get a ticket. After that , let them go to general sale. The benefit that the club has is the "general sale" element,  to sweep up the tickets.

What have the Club done wrong? Well we don't know yet, but if they have oversold this is a poor practice, and completely avoidable. Putting in a tier system could also be seen as a sales tactic rather than in the interest of the consumer. In old sales speak we called this the "alternate close" .  NCFC know better than anyone what the ticket buying practices are .  We wont know until  July when we can all try and buy Liverpool tickets .

Do the Club make mistakes? Well I came on here years ago and said the practice of "Opting Out" for the academy donation was not favoured by the FCA , and a few years later it quietly slipped away. I have a feeling that this will do the same thing in time...

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The main point here is the failure to cap the membership.

I think they have, perhaps we’ll find out at the end of the week

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I think they have, perhaps we’ll find out at the end of the week

You could be right FF - and if they have - assuming it isn't daft - it would help considerably in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

For interest, let's assume the scenario that the Club has sold 8,000 away Premier memberships.  Who knows if they have, but we have to start somewhere.

It isn't clear to me (I'm not a lawyer) where the legal protection rests here. As it is the Membership that is the issue rather than the goods themselves (i.e. the tickets). I don't know if the Consumer Rights Act apply.  

The Laws of Contract however are clear - in that a contract has an intention. It seems clear to me that the intention of joining a membership was to REASONABLY increase your chances of gaining a ticket for an away game, and in consideration you paid £50 (plus a bizzare £1.50 fee which seemed rather arbitrary) .

My point that has been made before on here is that if selling a membership for £51.50 has, in practice very little effect on whether I get the ticket or not, then the Membership has , by implication, been missold.

The main point here is the failure to cap the membership. The Club needs to be transparent. NCFC knows that they have around 3000 tickets per game, that they have 750 hard core supporters , and that in the early part of the season demand will probably outweigh supply. It would be easy to say they are going to sell a limited membership in the first instance (say 2000) and if you are buying the membership you are likely to get a ticket. After that , let them go to general sale. The benefit that the club has is the "general sale" element,  to sweep up the tickets.

What have the Club done wrong? Well we don't know yet, but if they have oversold this is a poor practice, and completely avoidable. Putting in a tier system could also be seen as a sales tactic rather than in the interest of the consumer. In old sales speak we called this the "alternate close" .  NCFC know better than anyone what the ticket buying practices are .  We wont know until  July when we can all try and buy Liverpool tickets .

Do the Club make mistakes? Well I came on here years ago and said the practice of "Opting Out" for the academy donation was not favoured by the FCA , and a few years later it quietly slipped away. I have a feeling that this will do the same thing in time...

I've just realised that I have broadly just described the old "away season ticket" scheme! I've had a few of those in my time and they worked well. I think the admin for the Club may have been a burden though...

12 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

But what was the point of bringing in memberships at all, particularly home memberships ?

I gather we have only 1500 casual tickets which are going to sell out for virtually every match regardless of price. It would have been better to have let things stand as they were for the last time we were in the Premier League

We’ve had a membership scheme for years and years, and I can’t see why anyone would now have an issue with it as a concept.  Yes it has gone up a bit  but in mitigation the casual ticket price has gone down. 

The problem Is the new away membership, and with a fair degree of justification.  The club were using the capped £30 away ticket price to suggest it was ‘fair’, but that doesn’t really work out as £30 is the price for all teams for all away matches in the PL (and what happens if we go back down?).

It would have been better just to leave it at one membership covering home and away - tiered if the club likes that idea - but similar to what we had. I’d have thought those with a certain number of away points could also be given early access if for a season or two as that seems to be the other main complaint, but if the club no longer likes that system it can be gradually replaced - it has always felt a bit odd to me.

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’ve had a membership scheme for years and years, and I can’t see why anyone would have an issue with it.  Yes it has gone up but in mitigation the casual ticket price has gone down. 

The problem Is the new away membership, with a fair degree of justification.  The club were using the capped £30 away ticket price to suggest it was ‘fair’, but that doesn’t really work out as £30 is the price for all teams for away matches in the PL.   

It would have been better just to leave it at one membership covering home and away - tiered if the club likes that idea - but similar to what we had. I’d have thought those with a certain number of away points could also be given early access if for a season or two as that seems to be the other main complaint, but if the club no longer likes that system it can be gradually replaced - it has always felt a bit odd to me.

Branston, I didn't make it clear that I meant this season's home membership scheme. The previous one worked well.

I agree that the new away scheme is terrible. Far better to keep last season's arrangement but give home season ticket holders less of a points advantage when buying casual away tickets than they've previously enjoyed over members. Away season tickets need to be re-introduced as the main priority though.

We dont know whether away premium memberships have been capped....but if the intention is that they are/will be surely you would have thought that the club would have mentioned this upon the first day of sale to advise people that there is only a limited number of these available to then prompt interested parties to buy one before they run out and then availability then moves onto standard membership?

....as far as I know you can still buy one online which means..

A) sales havent reached the capped level......or

B) There is no cap and the club is quite happy to take 50 quids off as many people who are willing to pay it ...and then let that number fight it out amongst themselves for 2250 tickets on 9.00am of the morning of whichever day they are available via a game of who can get one first online,on the phone or standing first in the que at the ticket office....

....I think I know which one I believe

35 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

When are the meetings?

No idea but moving on from when i am more concerned with who is attending. The Canaries Trust have a democratically elected board of representatives from within their membership ( plus a constitution ) but can anybody tell me who ACN and BEN are attending on behalf of ?

I think you are probably overestimating the number that we’re happy to pay £50 for what might be the occasional away trip - but unless we’re told we’ll never know.  

The issue is what is “fair” - and that will depend on your circumstances. 

I live in Surrey and have a s/t so travel around 300miles to and from home games. I long ago gave up being able to see us at the bigger London games as don’t generate the points/can’t do enough away games when it already takes up the day to go ‘home’ (though, oddly, I could get tkts while we were in Champs/L1, who’d have thought!!)....but my s/t did give a certain degree of priority reward for spending my £509 on it - which I think is fair enough.  Others may not like that so much, but ultimately it is the Home sales that generate £££ for the club.

So basically, everyone’s just paid £50 just for the chance to buy a ticket? This means it’s guaranteed they will never make general sale? I can see me sat in a few away ‘home’ ends this season, not by choice, but I’d rather quietly see my team than not at all.

The £25 priority membership worked fine. 

On 22/06/2019 at 11:35, TIL 1010 said:

No idea but moving on from when i am more concerned with who is attending. The Canaries Trust have a democratically elected board of representatives from within their membership ( plus a constitution ) but can anybody tell me who ACN and BEN are attending on behalf of ?

Since posting this i have been told that one of the gang of 7 who were originally consulted over this scheme before the launch is from BEN which makes it even stranger that they added their weight to the statement issued by the Canaries Trust.

I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong but I thought these groups were represented or had that opportunity be represented in the previous consultations. 

Edited by nutty nigel
I'm a bit fick innit..

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Since posting this i have been told that one of the gang of 7 who were originally consulted over this scheme before the launch is from BEN which makes it even stranger that they added their weight to the statement issued by the Canaries Trust.

Just because they were consulted doesn’t mean they agreed with it though does it ? They could have raised concerns at the time and been ignored 

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

They could have raised concerns at the time and been ignored 

If they were representative of a significant body of fans maybe not and if they were ignored possibly because they have no clout.

15 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I can't see it changing much this season, what are they going to do ? Refund every £50 and go back to how it used to be ?

There would be nothing wrong with admitting to a silly mistake and retaining the status quo Swindon.

I might post this on the EU thread as well....

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

As with the EU thread, they will continue with what they decided !

Are we still leaving the EU on 29 March? 🤔

Ya, Get rid of the rats !

And didn't you state that you don't chase me around the forum ?

Edited by SwindonCanary
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, city4eva said:

any news on when the meeting is and who will be attending

I am told by Ben Kensell that it is tomorrow and can only assume it is those who added their name to the Trust statement.

• Like 1

As a complete chancer/exile, I reckon the Southampton and Tottenham games are a certainty. West Ham and Arsenal for sure. Palace and Bournemouth probables and s an outsider Brighton. 

Sprinkle in a few cup games and my membership money will be better spent on strategic Now TV and BT Sport. 

🤠