Since 1980

The new Michael Ballack? David Turnbull

As good as it would be to sign him, we're still short of a right back, a defensive midfielder, a striker and back up to Krul. 

"The closest contender to such a feat is Cosgrove at Aberdeen, who amassed 30% of his team's goals, followed by Steven Naismith bagging around a quarter of Hearts' goals in the league."

Save £4 million, and offer this guy a new contract. If Turnbull is the new Ballack, perhaps Naismith is a born-again Bastian Schweinsteiger?

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Haha 1

Only thing that makes me wonder, if Turnbull is the hottest thing in Scotland since battered mars bars, why aren’t loads of “bigger” PL clubs after him?

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

As good as it would be to sign him, we're still short of a right back, a defensive midfielder, a striker and back up to Krul. 

Signings which I’m sure will happen. People seem to come out with this stuff every summer, players aren’t signed in order of supposed priority like on FIFA or Championship Manager. 

1 minute ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Signings which I’m sure will happen. People seem to come out with this stuff every summer, players aren’t signed in order of supposed priority like on FIFA or Championship Manager. 

Have you played Football Manager recently, though? It's bloody tough to negotiate a summer transfer window, especially as a newly promoted club. You start to understand how tricky it is for Webber et al. when they have to wait for the right moment to get the best players available for the right price.

19 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Only thing that makes me wonder, if Turnbull is the hottest thing in Scotland since battered mars bars, why aren’t loads of “bigger” PL clubs after him?

Same reason ‘big’ clubs didn’t move for Wanyama, van Dijk and Andy Robertson. The relative weakness of the Scottish League makes it hard to judge how good players actually are. 

Smaller clubs have to take these risks in the hope the talent translates and they have been robustly scouted. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Have you played Football Manager recently, though? It's bloody tough to negotiate a summer transfer window, especially as a newly promoted club. You start to understand how tricky it is for Webber et al. when they have to wait for the right moment to get the best players available for the right price.

I’m a self employed father nowadays so don’t get time! Used to literally lose days on end through playing it once upon a time though. 

Just now, Gordon Bennett said:

I’m a self employed father nowadays so don’t get time! Used to literally lose days on end through playing it once upon a time though. 

I've been a hardcore player since the start really, aside from a little lull when I didn't buy FM15 or FM16. It's come a long way over the years.

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've been a hardcore player since the start really, aside from a little lull when I didn't buy FM15 or FM16. It's come a long way over the years.

Ive never played it! Used to be really into footy games in my youth - kick off and goal on the Amiga (shoeing my age!)

Is it single player mode nowadays or can you compete against others? I’d love to have a family rivalry league which we do with the fantasy’s football

Just now, Canary Jedi said:

Ive never played it! Used to be really into footy games in my youth - kick off and goal on the Amiga (shoeing my age!)

Is it single player mode nowadays or can you compete against others? I’d love to have a family rivalry league which we do with the fantasy’s football

You can play online against others but I think you have to all be online at the same time and move along at the same pace. I tried it a couple of times in the past with friends but it's a bit of a ballache and I've never made it beyond half a season on an online game. 

FM works best when you play on your own. The only downside is that it's more addictive than heroin once you properly get into a career.

I know nothing about this player except for watching the video.

He scores lots of goals because he takes the penalties and because he is two footed and because he isn’t marked and because in Scotland a lot of goal keepers play with their eyes shut and some are possibly still drunk from the night before. 

He’s already turned down Celtic so, in the words of Gianfranco Zola maybe we are dealing with a “Charlie Big Potatoes”. 

If so he’s not for us. But maybe he’s a humble and enormous talent that Webber has scouted rigorously. Could he make our first team and set the premiership on fire? I have absolutely no idea. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

They've got bigger fish to fry. We're shopping for Mars bars when they want lobster.

Michael Ballack was great in and for Germany, but was a slow burner at Chelsea in the Prem to say the least. Not sure a comparison that particularly excites me.

3 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

who cares about him....not signing. 

moving on.................

Up until this morning, we didn't know that. Hence the discussion.