ricardo

Ricardo Remembers Part 1

10 hours ago, Surfer said:

About the same time as that Chelsea match was a relegation game at home v's Crystal Palace. We were in the South Stand and the place was rocking. I know that Palace wore their iconic white shirt with maroon and sky blue stripes down the center. I also know we won 2-1(Suggett and Stringer) although I couldn't see very much - and I know I was scared stiff every time the crowd surged as I was on the "wrong" side of the crush barrier.

I couldn't get to that match because I was involved in a concert of all things, but I remember coming out of the theatre royal and hearing a roar which must have been a goal or the end of the match - would never have thought the sound could travel that far.

Thanks Ricardo - a great read.

I know you missed him but my dad says that Alf Ackerman was one of our best ever centre forwards.

53 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Thanks Ricardo , it reminds me of situations my father recounts to me , the 50s with food rationing , the start of floodlit matches ,... I've got the book on Newspaper headlines Norwich City ... your heroes are in a few of them...gifted to me by my uncle...

image.png.27ba6b0cb454b426fb8f0ccada59dd4b.png

Wow RobFleck - that look's a fantastic piece of Norwich City history (albeit not as good as Ricardo's first hand memories)!   Can you give me more detail on it (publisher, print date, ISBN Number (unlikely I know)).

24 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Wow RobFleck - that look's a fantastic piece of Norwich City history (albeit not as good as Ricardo's first hand memories)!   Can you give me more detail on it (publisher, print date, ISBN Number (unlikely I know)).

Hi Shef , this is where my Uncle John ordered it https://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/gifts/sports-books/personalised-football-books/norwich-football-book/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daly said:

Tom Johnstone was the center forward who looked like he had been in the ring with Sonny Liston, do you remember Roy Hollis,Terry Ryder, Don Pickwick and the center half Reg Foulkes, he lived at the back of my school Unthank College on Newmarker Road Remember leaving my bike in Argyle Street for one penny

Yes Daly,  Pickwick and Foulkes were part of that strong halfback line (along with Ron Ashman) that seemed to be a feature during the mid fifties. When I think of Don Pickwick I am always reminded for some reason of a later wing half named Mal Lucas. Probably because they were both short stocky combataive players with a touch of class and had a similar style. I thought Reg Foulkes was a really fine centre half. His absence was probably the reason everything fell apart in that awful 56/57 season. (more about that in part2)

I remember the names of Hollis and Ryder being talked about but I think both must have left when I started. Tom Johnstone is a difficult one and I am sure I must have seen him at least once but have no recollection of it. He was still with City at the start of 54/55 when I went more regularly. I can remember seeing his name in the sports sections as a regular scorer for Leyton Orient in later seasons.

Just to say a big thank you to all who have responded to my post. It has stirred some happy memories for me as well as some sad ones but your responses have encouraged me to take it a bit further.

What a great write up, Ricardo and described so vividly. What I'd give to be able to go back and go to a game at Carrow Road in the 60s or early 70s. I see old black and white footage but it's hard when you weren't there (or even born) because you can't imagine seeing it all in crystal clear and colour with your own eyes!

Edited by alex_ncfc

Very evocative, Ricardo. I remember those sets of steps you mentioned that seemed littered around what one might call the inner suburbs. Some of them leading down to bomb sites from the Baedeker Raids. Great places for kids to play in those innocent  short-trousered days.

The description of the ground, in all its ramshackled quaintness, could easily apply to the whole battered and hard-up country. It is true that sport generally, and football in particular, mirrors changes in society, but there you have a physical example.

One aspect of what in PR-speak is called “the match-day experience’ you didn’t mention was the half-time entertainment. There used to be bands (the Boys’ Brigade? The Sally Army?) that would march up and down the pitch, and then exit – I think – in a gap between the South Stand and the River End.

Give me that over the shouty public-participation nonsenses they have nowadays. But I imagine the groundsman would not be in favour. And of course that is certainly one change for the better – the quality of pitches. I would say it is almost true that nowadays the pitch at Carrow Road at the end of the season is in better shape that those at the start of the season only a few decades ago.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

One aspect of what in PR-speak is called “the match-day experience’ you didn’t mention was the half-time entertainment. There used to be bands (the Boys’ Brigade? The Sally Army?) that would march up and down the pitch, and then exit – I think – in a gap between the South Stand and the River 

Yes indeed Purple. I will have to put a bit about that in part 2. The problem i am finding is that with so many memories flooding back its more difficult to decide what to leave out rather than include. Initially I thought I could do it all with one post but that is obviously no longer a runner.

RICADO

Add to it the Police Gate at the East side of the Main Stand where a packet of 10 fags got you in for half a dozen games 

For the directors in those days it was a license to print money 

• Haha 2

Som

3 hours ago, daly said:

RICADO

Add to it the Police Gate at the East side of the Main Stand where a packet of 10 fags got you in for half a dozen games 

For the directors in those days it was a license to print money 

Some ex Police colleagues of mine used to use the entrance, they once took an eighty five year old  in saying he was in C.I.D.

• Haha 1

On 20/06/2019 at 08:27, lake district canary said:

I couldn't get to that match because I was involved in a concert of all things, but I remember coming out of the theatre royal and hearing a roar which must have been a goal or the end of the match - would never have thought the sound could travel that far.

My father was in Poringland and heard the noise when Stringer scored 

All your memories mirror mine Ricardo.  I lived on Plumstead Estate so must have been near you.  Surprised you don’t remember Tom Johnston as he scored when we won away at Arsenal in the Cup which was my first ever away game in 1954 was it? Bobby Brennan was sent off and cricketer Arthur Milton was playing for Arsenal. Johnston became a legend at Leyton Orient and I think has a stand named after him.   I used to pay 3d to leave my bike at the back of the Barclay.  There is an exhibition opening at The Bridewell soon celebrating 70 years of twinning with Rouen and 1959 Cup Run memorabilia etcis to be included.

2 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

All your memories mirror mine Ricardo.  I lived on Plumstead Estate so must have been near you.  Surprised you don’t remember Tom Johnston as he scored when we won away at Arsenal in the Cup which was my first ever away game in 1954 was it? Bobby Brennan was sent off and cricketer Arthur Milton was playing for Arsenal. Johnston became a legend at Leyton Orient and I think has a stand named after him.   I used to pay 3d to leave my bike at the back of the Barclay.  There is an exhibition opening at The Bridewell soon celebrating 70 years of twinning with Rouen and 1959 Cup Run memorabilia etcis to be included.

Thanks Myra, I remember all the excitement of that win at Arsenal through hearing my uncles talking about it. It was very close to the time that I began to get interested. Having thought about it the only match I have any real recollection of was against Northampton and we won about three or four one. Im a bit hazy about that but it might have been Johnny Summers at centre forward. It must have been very close to the end of the 53/54 season.

Yes, I remember people still lamenting the loss of Johnstone a couple of seasons later when things all fell apart.

I was at the Chelsea fog match ,bunked off school to get tickets, the queue started at the far end of carrow bridge .used to travel to matches via neaves  coaches from catfield ,was half a crown to get in .also there when man Utd ripped stand apart and guy went through roof.remember little hut at back of barclay  selling programmes and stickers ECT. Great atomosphere at the time .my first playets i remember were ron Davies, Hugh Curran and Tommy Brycland 

Really enjoyed reading that Ricardo, thank you. I am a mere sprogg having attended my first game in 1974.

I am also looking forward to part 2 when you able to pen (keyboard!)  it.

48 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Went to the Cup game at Arsenal I think Alex Forbes their ginger haired half back got sent off.

Great win against all odds as Arsenal team full of Internationals

The demographics of looking back into the past in such a way are as interesting as the footballing stuff for me. So many cyclists.Then they used bicycles because they could not afford a car. Nowadays we cycle to avoid the car.

My first real memory of a game was the FA Cup 5th. Round home tie against Sunderland in February, 1961. (I had been to a few reserve games before that.)

Not because of the game it's self (decent enough and won by a latish Charlie Hurley header into the River End goal, I think) but more because of the Sunderland supporters.

They came in vast numbers and they left such an impression upon this sheltered Norfolk boy that the event still sticks in the memory.

This was my first real taste of the northern hordes and it seemed as if Hadrian's Wall (poor history/geography teacher) had been breached as these heathens decked in red and white invaded first the City and then Carrow Road it's self. They put the ****e up me as they dangled drunkenly and precariously from the roof structures of the old South Stand and seemed menacing as they generally took over parts of the ground. I had never seen such fanaticism, heard such noise, witnessed such (bad) behaviour. They even spoke a foreign language.The White Walkers had nothing on them. They were the cause of nightmares for this parochial country boy from the sticks.

It was indeed an age thing though and at an age where impressions could be deeply etched. They probably weren't that bad and I have surely seen much worse since, but the the lasting impression of the Roker Boys in full flow is the perfect indication of the place supporting a football team has it's place in our growing up and personal development. I learnt a lot that day. There was life beyond the countryside and it came in a different form of being.

A bit similar the "where were you when Elvis died?" thing, football experiences can stand out for many reasons.

I hasten to add that these are the musings and memories of a young, local boy who had not been further than Cromer and not intended in any way as being insulting to our friends in the North. Clearly I have moved on from the impressions of youth.

Edited by BroadstairsR

On 20/06/2019 at 09:44, ricardo said:

Just to say a big thank you to all who have responded to my post. It has stirred some happy memories for me as well as some sad ones but your responses have encouraged me to take it a bit further.

Definitely worth doing 👍

Broadstairs, yes I recall that FA Cup game against Sunderland. There were thousands of away supporters spilling out of pubs as I walked down King St. They had practically taken over the Ferry Boat and the Kingsway.

We seemed to draw Sunderland quite regularly in the FA Cup. I think it was '56 when they knocked us out in the 5th round at Roker Park. That was in the days of Len Shackleton and Charlie (cannonball) Flemming.

I remember Charlie Hurley, big unit of a centre half. 

A few memories to add. First game Sept 1947 which we lost 5-1 at home. Guess who were the opponents - Ipswich Town. The great Ken Nethercott was signed a few days later. Feb 1951 -5th Round  FA Cup at Sunderland - lost 1-0. This followed the famous 3rd Round 3-1 Home Win over Liverpool. Travelled on overnight train which arrived at around 6.00 am in the morning. Bitterly cold. Ricardo correctly states that we lost Jan 1956 3rd Round 4-2 at Sunderland. March 1963 - FA Cup at home against Leicester - lost 2-0. Record attendance 43,984 mainly standing. Accompanied by future wife (first attendance at a football match). Never saw her between kick off and final whistle!!. Longest recorded queue, not sure if it was for tickets or match itself, as far as Trowse Railway Bridge. Tom Johnston was the guy who played with a bandaged left wrist as a result of a pit accident.

8 minutes ago, vos said:

A few memories to add. First game Sept 1947 which we lost 5-1 at home. Guess who were the opponents - Ipswich Town. The great Ken Nethercott was signed a few days later. Feb 1951 -5th Round  FA Cup at Sunderland - lost 1-0. This followed the famous 3rd Round 3-1 Home Win over Liverpool. Travelled on overnight train which arrived at around 6.00 am in the morning. Bitterly cold. Ricardo correctly states that we lost Jan 1956 3rd Round 4-2 at Sunderland. March 1963 - FA Cup at home against Leicester - lost 2-0. Record attendance 43,984 mainly standing. Accompanied by future wife (first attendance at a football match). Never saw her between kick off and final whistle!!. Longest recorded queue, not sure if it was for tickets or match itself, as far as Trowse Railway Bridge. Tom Johnston was the guy who played with a bandaged left wrist as a result of a pit accident.

Thanks Vos.

You are even older than me mate.😀

On 22/06/2019 at 09:42, Yellowhammer said:

remember little hut at back of barclay  selling programmes and stickers ECT.

For the 71/72 season I used to go there to buy the programme from the previous away game - tall spindly chap used to open up a few minutes after half time whistle

it was in the corner almost under the South Stand, which I would sometime s wander up to and sit on the terrace on the corner and watch the game - there was that much space, was sat there when we lost 0-3 Hull in the cup

used to wait just before the ferry boat pub for the chap to sell the programme - he would be stood on the steps, bit of an eye opener when we played Spurs and Arsenal the following  autumn as many of their fans had got in early and were still coming through the turnstiles when I got in

also remember the charge of the 'spaz wagon's' (ouch) who would be allowed in and they drove along the front of the River End