Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Quarter Final Game 2 (1987/88 vs 1992/93)

Quarter Final Game 2 (1987/88 vs 1992/93)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Quarter Final Game 2 (1987/88 vs 1992/93)

• 1987/88
    • 1992/93

Opposite ends of a wave TGMD, with the arrival of Flecky you could feel like we were building something in '87. By '93 we'd reached the Crest of that wave, within 2 years it was all over🙁

• Like 1

Not really sure we were building anything-the 87/88 team finished 14th, the 88/89 team finished 4th and reached the FA Cup semi-final (can't believe that squad lost to the poor 96/97 squad) but then we finished 10th, 15th and 18th, narrowly avoiding relegation-the 92/93 season was completely out of the blue.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Not really sure we were building anything-the 87/88 team finished 14th, the 88/89 team finished 4th and reached the FA Cup semi-final (can't believe that squad lost to the poor 96/97 squad) but then we finished 10th, 15th and 18th, narrowly avoiding relegation-the 92/93 season was completely out of the blue.

Yes, the 92/93 season was certainly unexpected. Is there a consensus as to why we were so good that season? Our away form was exceptional I remember, and if I have the right season, Phillips' goals were hugely important.

Certainly at the time I (and Everton) felt it was all down to Mike Walker, though this can certainly be debated seeing as he never replicated that success (is Lambert a modern-day Walker?).

Was it spirit in the dressing room? Was it a freak perfect storm of players all reaching their peak at the same time?

The Culverhouse effect? (Puts tin hat on)