pete

Mario's contract?

Mario perhaps our most creative player with one year to go on contract still to get extension or certainly not publicised.  Are we going to see a new contract signed soon.

His age is an issue, he'll want and deserve 3 years but I suspect that he'll only be offered 2.

Webber's a tough one to deal with. 

Looking at the graph of senior contract lengths his is the one that stands out. He may be old but his input last season got us promoted, he earned it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Looking at the graph of senior contract lengths his is the one that stands out. He may be old but his input last season got us promoted, he earned it.

I second that.

I get the impression that Super Mario won't be the slightest bit fazed by the Premier League and all it's trimmings.

He's only just turned thirty so perhaps that's not so old under the circumstances.

Fine wine and all that.

Lovely, gifted player, makes the game look easy. Now with added bite compared to when he arrived. Would be delighted if his contract was extended.

Mario and Todd are both in discussions I believe. Maybe they want guarantees about playing. As good as Mario was last season, he was never really seemed to be first choice. Todd was actually keeping him out of the team at times! 

33 minutes ago, Clint said:

Mario and Todd are both in discussions I believe. Maybe they want guarantees about playing. As good as Mario was last season, he was never really seemed to be first choice. Todd was actually keeping him out of the team at times! 

Sorry, Clinto, can't agree. Mario's  role in the team was 'deeper' than Todd's.  Todd played because Onel or Emi were injured/ suspended. 

I’m not saying Mario doesn’t deserve a new contract, as he definitely does. I’m looking at it from his point of view. Does he want to sign if, rightly or wrongly, he’s got too many people ahead of him?

I’m not sure of the stats but I think he started less than 15 matches last season. The point about Todd was that in those games when Buendia was suspended, he started two of them ahead of Vrancic, who you’d have thought would’ve been a shoe in at that stage.

5 minutes ago, Clint said:

I’m not saying Mario doesn’t deserve a new contract, as he definitely does. I’m looking at it from his point of view. Does he want to sign if, rightly or wrongly, he’s got too many people ahead of him?

I’m not sure of the stats but I think he started less than 15 matches last season. The point about Todd was that in those games when Buendia was suspended, he started two of them ahead of Vrancic, who you’d have thought would’ve been a shoe in at that stage.

Todd started ahead of Mario because he's a different type of player. Although excellent, Mario is not a wide mid, on either side, Todd can play both , though i reckon better on the right. Mario plays in the midfield receive/distribute position which would have him infield of and behind Todd , on the left, if they were on the pitch together.

Mario in the middle with McLean out wide. Anyway, that’s not really the point. All I’m saying is maybe both Vrancic and Cantwell are stalling on signing new contracts as they want reassurances on game time. Seems understandable, given the very different but respective very important stages of their careers. Neither needs to be spending half the season or more, sitting on our bench. 

I think if Vrancic and Cantwell were demanding game time in the premier league, regardless of merit, both would be shown the door and right quick - I think any of our players demanding that would be put up for sale. 

That isn't the philosophy we have in place now and would seem like career suicide. 

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clint said:

Mario in the middle with McLean out wide. Anyway, that’s not really the point. All I’m saying is maybe both Vrancic and Cantwell are stalling on signing new contracts as they want reassurances on game time. Seems understandable, given the very different but respective very important stages of their careers. Neither needs to be spending half the season or more, sitting on our bench. 

Theres been mutterings on here  about Todd stalling, i dont know if he is, or are contracts being dealt with in order of priority, so Todd wont be top of the list , nor Mario. Yes , i would keep them both . At present, i would be more interested in keeping Mario than Todd, if push came to shove. Todd has potential, Mario is Class.

We should definitely renew it. Id Toadally love it if he stayed. He's a koopa. A peach of a player. If you think otherwise you've been on the mushrooms. Hope he doesnt get Fu King Boo'ed if he doesnt sign. If we keep him in the side next year we could be invincible. We just need to bite the bullet (bill) and get it over the line before we're blue-shelled.

37 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Theres been mutterings on here  about Todd stalling, i dont know if he is, or are contracts being dealt with in order of priority, so Todd wont be top of the list , nor Mario. Yes , i would keep them both . At present, i would be more interested in keeping Mario than Todd, if push came to shove. Todd has potential, Mario is Class.

It’s more than mutterings. Webber has been quite clear to say he’s disappointed they haven’t been able to sort it yet and it’s not down to the club. As BYG pointed out, this could be because we’re trying to get him on the cheap, only those close to it will know for sure.

40 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Todd's in Dubai from his Insta, so no completion of his contract until he's back.  Where's Mario?

No idea, keeping fit and enjoying a break somewhere I hope.

PS I'm not anti Todd at all, just think he needs to play more regularly, somewhere.  

10 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Todd's in Dubai from his Insta, so no completion of his contract until he's back.

I’m sure he took his phone with him and his agent will update him with any progress

If I had to make a guess I would say that with Vrancic is a case similar to David Phillips - they want him to play for peanuts ! His prem increase in salary may not reflect his ability. Perhaps he's only offered a 2 year deal and wants 3.

With Cantwell, despite his age I see him as a level headed person. He is not taking anything for granted. He knows that even though he is in a group of youth players (himself, Godfrey, Lewis & Arrons) who perform outstandingly last season, that the other 3 are very much in demand and he is behind them. I don't think he'd be demanding what the other 3 are getting - but I think he still feels undervalued.

Neither will be demanding game time, that's not how clubs operate. Both are excellent players, for the sake of our club need to be retained. Cantwell has not been appreciated for his performances in the earlier part of the season. He (Cantwell) has been judged on goals and assists - not "off the ball" performance. You can't blame Vrancic if he's frustrated with the "Norwich City system" - where inferior players get rewarded with game time for just adequate performances (put your hand up Mr Mclean) -  in this case the difference in ability is so wide - it's a joke !

I have no doubt the club view this as a priority, especially now Ben has signed a new contract that means our 3 'wonder kids' as tied to new deals. Vrancic is a classy operator and largely got unlucky with injuries and then the good form of others to keep him out of the side. That spell when he came in for Lietner was probably the best football he played for us, no doubt he would have kept his place for the rest of the season but for injury! 

Tough to pick the central midfield pairing next season.  Leitner, Trybull, MacLean, Vrancic vying for 2 spots (plus Cantwell, Tettey and Thompson as back up to those as well), plus I still think we'll sign another CDM.

All had exciting spells for us last season.

14 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

McLean had the best ratio of assists and goals vs minutes played last season, so..... 

Need specifics and proof here Wundaboy. I watch most of the games

McLean is the most dreary player on our books - what you claim will take some believeing !

26 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

McLean had the best ratio of assists and goals vs minutes played last season, so..... 

Wundaboy,

You may be right - I've got McLean down, best ratio for:

- losing 50/50 challengers

- traffic pointsman (standing directing team mates where to pass)

- missing tackles

- "gary owen" freekicks (rugby punts)

- standing behind defenders (in support of teammates)

- slowest acceleration

- standing in front of back 4 doing nothing

- making Krul (a goalkeeper) look a better mover in the outfield

- through his inactivity, causing the other midfielder (Trybull) to work double hard

Can you add to this list ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Wundaboy,

You may be right - I've got McLean down, best ratio for:

- losing 50/50 challengers

- traffic pointsman (standing directing team mates where to pass)

- missing tackles

- "gary owen" freekicks (rugby punts)

- standing behind defenders (in support of teammates)

- slowest acceleration

- standing in front of back 4 doing nothing

- making Krul (a goalkeeper) look a better mover in the outfield

- through his inactivity, causing the other midfielder (Trybull) to work double hard

Can you add to this list ?

Not a bad record we had considering we were basically playing with ten men from February onwards.

Screenshot_20190619-121542.png

Vrancic, Leitner, McLean are currently vying for 1 central midfield spot.

The Defensive midfield role will be taken by trybull or a new addition.

I think a long term contract for Vrancic should be offered if the question is on length of deal. He is an exceptional player and makes us a better team. I would actually say this is a more important contract extension than McLean's.

I think Kenny may find playing time harder to find and like last season he will be a match day squad player rather than a first choice option.

In a league where midfielders drop deep to collect the ball from the centre halves and move the play around, Leitner is our best player. During McLean's run we bypassed the middle more and our performances struggled as we relied on getting the ball to our 4 more attacking players. In the prem we will be pushed and Leitner looks the most composed.

The set pieces and final ball by vrancic were exceptional, he oozed class when in the team. There is no question his set piece delivery will be essential in the premier League. His long range shooting will transfer to goals in the premier League. Therefore I think they both will be more likely to start than McLean.

In fact if we sign Turnbull and/or thill McLean will see himself in a competitive group to take Marco's shirt off him as well.

But that is the sign of a great team, people chomping at the bit to play and I would like to see Vrancic rewarded for a tough first season with that new deal.

2 minutes ago, smooth said:

Vrancic, Leitner, McLean are currently vying for 1 central midfield spot.

I think that considering we'll probably be a little more conservative next season, Vrancic and McLean may well be used in the number ten position at times.

Therefore, I'd say it will be between Trybull and a new signing for the DM position, and four-way battle for the one CM and one AM role between Leitner, Vrancic, McLean and Stiepermann. If we sign Turnbull and choose not to loan him out, you can throw his name into the ring as well.

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

How silly then for Webber/Farke to extend MClean's contract.

Clearly they are clueless.

As useless as Rodent was he still managed one good decision - acquiring Hoolahan.

As good as Webber/Farke are, they can balls up as well.

1 minute ago, Six Pack said:

As useless as Rodent was he still managed one good decision - acquiring Hoolahan.

As good as Webber/Farke are, they can balls up as well.

Balls ups don't play half a season and more in a promotion winning side. They are soon shipped out eg. Franke, Windshutt, Husband, Raggett.

I thought scapegoating was considered yesterday's stance in relation to City's current squad.

They will all, for the most part, have the chance to prove themselves capable of performing at the higher level in a matter of weeks now.

McClean deserves that chance as much as any other.