Nuff Said

Jordan’s coming home!

Rhodes would be a good fit if the price is right. Obviously he knows the squad and the club, fitted in very well and importantly he would also know he;s coming as back up to Pukki and seems ok with that (others might not be). Still a quality finisher as well. My only slight doubt would be if Pukki was out for any period of time and we had to rely on him leading the line i'm not sure he's mobile enough these days so I would still expect us to bring in another striker as well if this happens. 

15 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

South of £5 million and I think it's a great deal.

I agree with smooth that a forward who can play up the middle or out wide would be a welcome addition, but, and I appreciate this will probably be a minority opinion, I would be happy starting the season with Pukki, Rhodes, Srbeny with the ever-increasing Idah starting to get opportunities with a view to becoming third, and then maybe second, choice as the season progresses.

I wouldn't. I think people are seriously underestimating the step up in quality. Rhodes maybe as a sub for the last few minutes of games is fine but Srbeny is not a premier league player. We wlould be taking one hell of a gamble on Pukki staying fit if those are our striking options.

JR plus another "find" for a few million ie. our marquee signing of the season.

Ninety minutes is a long time in the Premier League.

Underwhelmed if this is true.I hope the power of social media has blown this out of proportion.

I completely accept my opinion is clouded by cognitive dissonance. He's one of my boys favourite players, he was nice to my eldest daughter at the Christmas lights switch on in Thorpe and my youngest daughter sings an unbelievably cute version of Farke's on a horse.

Take all those factors away and I'd probably think it's too much of a step up, but my desire for us to sign him is driving my focus towards the positives (Farke and Webber want him, he hasn't really been tested in the Prem properly, could do a Holt or Vardy) and deflecting anything that might suggest he'll be a Premier League flop (Boro wouldn't take a punt on him at that level, didn't score heavily for Blackburn).

The Gary Gower’s tweet is a joke, so I don’t think the situation has changed since the other week. 

Norwich want Rhodes, but only if the price is right. What Norwich consider to be the right price and whether he would be third or second choice is the crux of the matter. 

If he’s cheap and can be signed on a shortish contract, then I’m happy for him to come in and be third choice. If Norwich sign him over a Drmic or even a da Costa, then I’m not particularly happy. 

There is running this transfer window with one eye on whether the club is relegated, which is the sensible approach but signing Rhodes as 2nd choice would be as if the club was never promoted. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The Gary Gower’s tweet is a joke, so I don’t think the situation has changed since the other week. 

Norwich want Rhodes, but only if the price is right. What Norwich consider to be the right price and whether he would be third or second choice is the crux of the matter. 

If he’s cheap and can be signed on a shortish contract, then I’m happy for him to come in and be third choice. If Norwich sign him over a Drmic or even a da Costa, then I’m not particularly happy. 

There is running this transfer window with one eye on whether the club is relegated, which is the sensible approach but signing Rhodes as 2nd choice would be as if the club was never promoted. 

Was it a joke? He went on to reply saying that the info was from the same guy who apparently said Rhodes was joining on loan before there were any rumours last summer.

4 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

Was it a joke? He went on to reply saying that the info was from the same guy who apparently said Rhodes was joining on loan before there were any rumours last summer.

I saw he tweeted it didn’t pass the ‘no circus’ test. 

But have now seen that Rob Butler is saying something is possible soon - so who knows really. Norwich want him he wants Norwich and Sheff W want him gone. It seems very likely the deal will happen at some point. 

26 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This ^

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Some now saying he’d be coming on another loan deal. 

That would probably be the most sensible option if Norwich are keen to bring him back. 

This sounds like a perfect option for us. JR on loan next season, if we stay up, we think again next year, if not, we can consider our options, including signing him permanently for the championship season. Also leaves the purchase kitty untouched for now too. I would definitely be happy with another loan for JR.

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

This sounds like a perfect option for us. JR on loan next season, if we stay up, we think again next year, if not, we can consider our options, including signing him permanently for the championship season. Also leaves the purchase kitty untouched for now too. I would definitely be happy with another loan for JR.

Well, considering the loan fee for him last season was reported to be around £2M, it won’t leave the kitty ‘untouched’. But it avoid Norwich being burdened with his contract. 

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Well, considering the loan fee for him last season was reported to be around £2M, it won’t leave the kitty ‘untouched’. But it avoid Norwich being burdened with his contract. 

That myth was well and truly debunked by the company accounts. If we paid £2 million for the Rhodes loan then Buendia and Leitner cost absolute peanuts.

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

That myth was well and truly debunked by the company accounts. If we paid £2 million for the Rhodes loan then Buendia and Leitner cost absolute peanuts.

Depends how the fee was structured with promotion and game time etc. How much of the £9m due was related to his deal is unknown. 

23 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Depends how the fee was structured with promotion and game time etc. How much of the £9m due was related to his deal is unknown. 

Agreed, but the up front fee couldn't realistically have been much more than a million. Sheff Weds cannot argue that his stock has risen over the past 12 months and he is another year down on his contract. So in the context of this season's transfer kitty, the loan will not affect it to the tune of £2 million, far from it.

Pretty sure Rhodes only has a year left on his Sheffield contract so don't see Sheffield wanting to loan him again it would mean that basically he was a free signing 

24 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Agreed, but the up front fee couldn't realistically have been much more than a million. Sheff Weds cannot argue that his stock has risen over the past 12 months and he is another year down on his contract. So in the context of this season's transfer kitty, the loan will not affect it to the tune of £2 million, far from it.

Norwich are now a Premier League team, and the ‘Premier League Tax’ will come into play. Also, the managerial change at Sheff W does come into play - Bruce seems much more keen on keeping Jordan than the previous guy. 

His contract will have little baring on a loan fee.

It could actually push the fee up as it prevents Sheff W from selling this window, meaning they will likely have an asset worth less than now come the end of his loan. 

1 hour ago, Excited Canary said:

Thank you. I was going to post the same thing, but couldn’t get the link to the tweet to work on my crappy Android tablet:

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich are now a Premier League team, and the ‘Premier League Tax’ will come into play.

I've not heard of it before Beth, what is the ‘Premier League Tax’?

1 minute ago, lappinitup said:

It is the extra cost all clubs put on players when selling to Premier League clubs as the perception is they are all stinking rich. 

Webber talked about it in his interview with the Pink’Un. 

2 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Everyone knows we now have loads of cash, and prices go up accordingly.

I want him in. The price needs to be right but I think he's a good player, will be decent backup, has good attitude, is known to the squad and will be good if we get relegated. However, I wouldn't want to loan him; don't we only get a certain number of loans we can have in the Premiership? I would much prefer to buy him and use the loan on someone else.

Thanks guys. I was starting to think there was some hidden transfer tax imposed by the PL to add to their already overflowing coffers.🙂

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Underwhelmed if this is true.I hope the power of social media has blown this out of proportion.

How can you be underwhelmed without knowing the rest of our transfer targets?

Another year's loan would make a lot of sense to me, I think he has 2 years left on his contract ?

There's no way I expect us to start the season with Pukki and Rhodes as our 1st & 2nd choice strikers. 

But when we're chasing a game near the end, there will be plenty of occasions when we want 2 goalscorers on the pitch, and having JR as someone available to come on late in the game and grab a goal could be invaluable.  When you're targeting 40+ points rather than 90+ points, the value of a few late goals is magnified.

The PL Tax is less about us being already "stinking rich" and more about the potential money to be made out of staying up.

Say we wanted Rhodes. Sheff Weds would turn to us and say "so you think this guy will be a part of your plan to secure another £150m next year? well in that case, we want a few million for him"

It is more that a player is now perceived to be able to perform the role of "premiership footballer" that the price goes up.

There would be no economic sense in say Sunderland paying £10m for any player based on this season since they dont have access to the prem money or potential access next season (shirt sales and resale fees aside).

Also, if sheff weds cant flog Jordan or use him then a loan may be as good as they get like we got with Naismith last year. We would still have to pay a fee and some of the wages so they would get that opposed to nothing.

Rhodes an intelligent footballer look at the positions he took when he poached those last gasp goals found himself space in the box.  Could be our Teddy Sheringham.  Must be an economically sound investment but if the move consolidates the team ethic may be inspirational.  The other options are likely to be out of our price range and need to look for other cheaper gems.  Also feel Srebeny may surprise given an opportunity.

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

But when we're chasing a game near the end, there will be plenty of occasions when we want 2 goalscorers on the pitch, and having JR as someone available to come on late in the game and grab a goal could be invaluable.  When you're targeting 40+ points rather than 90+ points, the value of a few late goals is magnified.

I think he’ll used more to keep the ball im the opposition half when we’re 1-0 up with ten minutes to go against Citeh and the like.

Nuff “call me LDC” Said