Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

Thanks Ricardo for your reply to my message on another thread. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would like to hear more of times past. My first game was Portsmouth away in 1975, with my late father who had tales of 58-59, and I had grandparents who remembered “give it to Varco”, but as a young lad I didn’t ask the questions I should have. I’ve got in front of me a copy of “On The Ball City” by Ted Bell from 1972. Some interesting things in it, but some not covered. Why were the 58-59 cup game attendances capped all-ticket at 38000, when we had 43129 for Pompey in 1950? The 58-59 cup run paid for the roof on the South Stand - but in photos it looks like only over 2/3 of it, and no South Stand Corner - when did those changes happen? Sunderland at home in the cup 5th round 1961 in front of 42000 - must have been some occasion but I’ve never heard mention of it. I’ve got lots more questions but some memories of those days would be fascinating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some good discussion of the 1950 Portsmouth game including some footage.  here : -

 

I was at Portsmouth away in 1975 and 2011. Have seen us win promotion more times at Fratton Park than Carrow Road🙃 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's some good discussion of the 1950 Portsmouth game including some footage.  here : -

 

I was at Portsmouth away in 1975 and 2011. Have seen us win promotion more times at Fratton Park than Carrow Road🙃 

same here

pleasant stroll to the ground in 75, even a nice amble round the pitch before the game !

2011 managed to get on the pitch - I was the one trying to kick balloons in the goal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, marinersawan said:

Thanks Ricardo for your reply to my message on another thread. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would like to hear more of times past. My first game was Portsmouth away in 1975, with my late father who had tales of 58-59, and I had grandparents who remembered “give it to Varco”, but as a young lad I didn’t ask the questions I should have. I’ve got in front of me a copy of “On The Ball City” by Ted Bell from 1972. Some interesting things in it, but some not covered. Why were the 58-59 cup game attendances capped all-ticket at 38000, when we had 43129 for Pompey in 1950? The 58-59 cup run paid for the roof on the South Stand - but in photos it looks like only over 2/3 of it, and no South Stand Corner - when did those changes happen? Sunderland at home in the cup 5th round 1961 in front of 42000 - must have been some occasion but I’ve never heard mention of it. I’ve got lots more questions but some memories of those days would be fascinating.

People seem to be interested in the past so I may be persuaded toput up a few threads of days gone by if the interest is there.

Yes when they put the roof on the South stand they also cut off the access from the River end with a fence. The corner underneath the Pinkun scoreboard was part of the River end terracing and not part of the South Stand.

I think the 59 cup run games were limited to 38k for safety reasons. After the roof was put on there was also an extension backwards that allowed an increase and there were nearly 44k for the Leicester FA cup game in 1963. It was certainly a bit of a crush.I don't think there was a limit at that time but wouldn't swear on it. I stood in the South stand for that game and there were loads of people milling about on the walkway at the back who couldn't see. After that the limit was set at 41k which it was at the Sheff Wed FA cup game in 1967.

Yes it was exciting standing in a big crowd in those days but viewing was obviously restricted and you could see **** all when the ball went in the corners if you stood near the halfway line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's some good discussion of the 1950 Portsmouth game including some footage.  here : -

 

I was at Portsmouth away in 1975 and 2011. Have seen us win promotion more times at Fratton Park than Carrow Road🙃 

Just before my time Nutty although I can remember my dad talking about some of the players. Ron Ashman was a centre forward in those days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The history is fascinating. I can only go back to the sixties, but my dad told me about the cup run in 59 and what an amazing time it was.  Came across this picture the other day. Very clear photo, some must recognise some of these faces!


14th February 1959: A crowd of Norwich City FC supporters on arrival at Northumberland Park Station, Tottenham, north London, bound for a FA Cup-tie match against Tottenham Hotspur FC at White Hart Lane.

image.thumb.png.02d361993a1ec933fc4f857de6fc695f.png

 

 

Edited by lake district canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be fantastic Ricardo. And thanks Nutty for the link. I would love to hear how it was at those games. The clips of the 58-59 games don't suggest the ground was rammed - although I guess the prime spots would have been pretty tight. I remember even in the seventies turning up with my Dad an hour and a quarter before kickoff for a prime spot in the River End terrace. West Ham away in the FA Cup in 1989 was my most packed terrace - not helped by inflatables boosting the crowd! The exit under the stand afterwards was a bit cramped as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The history is fascinating. I can only go back to the sixties, but my dad told me about the cup run in 59 and what an amazing time it was.  Came across this picture the other day. Very clear photos, some must recognise some of these faces!


14th February 1959: A crowd of Norwich City FC supporters on arrival at Northumberland Park Station, Tottenham, north London, bound for a FA Cup-tie match against Tottenham Hotspur FC at White Hart Lane.

image.thumb.png.02d361993a1ec933fc4f857de6fc695f.png

 

 

I went up on the train for that one LDC, with one of my school mates. Neither of us were quite fourteen and we had no adult with us. Amazing now when I come to think of it. I remember buying the train tickets from George Wortleys in Charring Cross. Funny how that sticks in my mind.

That match was a terrible crush with over 65k at WHL. It's the only time I've been frightened for my life. When the crowd surged forward I was tight up against a concrete barrier. Very scary at the time. I was level with the penalty area at the end where Cliff Jones equalised in the last minute.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill re Pompey 1975 - pleasant stroll and amble round the pitch? I was aged 10 with my Dad in a paddock terrace in front of a side stand where Norwich outnumbered Pompey, but a mate of mine had rather more alarming stories. Was it really so comfortable a day out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, marinersawan said:

Bill re Pompey 1975 - pleasant stroll and amble round the pitch? I was aged 10 with my Dad in a paddock terrace in front of a side stand where Norwich outnumbered Pompey, but a mate of mine had rather more alarming stories. Was it really so comfortable a day out?

Bill remembers it differently to both you and me then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Came across this picture the other day. Very clear photo, some must recognise some of these faces!


 

image.thumb.png.02d361993a1ec933fc4f857de6fc695f.png

 

 

S'funny ldc, I was looking at this and thinking, they all look like my dad...... even the women!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marinersawan said:

Bill re Pompey 1975 - pleasant stroll and amble round the pitch? I was aged 10 with my Dad in a paddock terrace in front of a side stand where Norwich outnumbered Pompey, but a mate of mine had rather more alarming stories. Was it really so comfortable a day out?

It was scary! I'd gone on Mascot coaches with a mate. Enjoying in the sunshine of the open terrace. But during the last minutes of the game it became obvious that many of their supporters from the other end had left. But they didn't go home. They were outside waiting for us. So we went the other direction, stayed safe but got lost. Ended up searching for our coach without having a clue where it was. I saw a pub which I remembered the coach had passed on the way in. So we stood there a few minutes and a Mascot coach came along. We flagged it down. It wasn't our coach but the driver let us on as he had spare seats. Guardian angel was with me that day! More stuff did happen on the way home though... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×