CANARYKING

City and the binners

Not sure if there ever has been - given that neither of us have been in the 4th tier

and both were in the 2nd or 1st when either were in the 2nd or 1st

An article on the Pinkun referred to 1937 but a quick look at Wikipedia shows that must be referring to the time before L1pswich joined the Football League, which isn't really the same thing.

So it seems to me that since both sides have been in the Football League, this is the first time there's been a clear division gap between us. 

It still makes me smile when I think back to those posts where we were worrying about the scummers losing their last 2 games against our promotion rivals, when it turned out we didn't need anything from them to win the league :classic_biggrin:

Never, but neither has there ever been such a massive gap between income, support, exposure and quality of playing staff as there is nowadays. Add in Category 1 and infrastructure and the difference in fortunes between the two clubs is massive. 

I am actually beginning to feel quite sorry for them and a tear is welling up.

Nothing, but nothing, ever goes right for them. Crashing into League 1 and lumbering themselves with the likes of Paul Lambert are just the latest in a long line of disasters that have befallen that club even since well before they were waving five pound notes in our faces and heralding the arrival of their great benefactor.

Can it get any worse than last season for them, with their rivals romping the title as they sat rock bottom unable to buy a win?

What humiliation, and on top of that they now have to face the daily mocking of us canaries whenever they attempt to put a brave face on things and look for the slightest positive.

I feel quite bad about it all now ............................................................ to be concluded :classic_biggrin:

'Prenez garde!' say the Italians, everything goes in cycles. It would need a very big wheel for this situation to be reversed.

Edited by BroadstairsR

26 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

'Prenez garde!' say the Italians, everything goes in cycles. It would need a very big wheel for this situation to be reversed.

Which wheel is bigger, that one or the one that will result in the Italians talking French? 🙎‍♂️:classic_tongue:

Your post is excellent, by the way

• Haha 1

My attempt at being funny Arthur Daley style GA47.

Fail?

Oh well! Cazzo, as they say in France.

Edited by BroadstairsR

The closest it came after they turned professional and entered the third division south was 1956/57, with them top and us bottom.  They were promoted to league 2 and we had to apply for re-election. One might feel that by rights we should have been relegated, and the two divisions gap would have happened. But - rules are rules. As I have mentioned before, quite how Ipswich got elected into the third division south after being only third in the southern league in 1938 (displacing Gillingham, and ahead of Guildford (5 points clear) and Plymouth Argyle II (ok presumably a reserve team - but our team II came 5th that year) is a bit of a mystery, possibly explained by the Cobbold family's legendary hospitality. So I'm not losing much sleep over accepting the rules back then. 

I was always aggrieved as a young lad that Arsenal got a dodgy promotion to the top division ahead of Spurs, Barnsley, Wolves and Birmingham after finishing sixth in 1914-15 (although apparently they were actually fifth and someone got their sums wrong) and have never been out of the top flight since. But the very presence of the Binscum in the Football League is an offence against natural justice.

1956-57 was a tumultuous season for us - any memories from the more senior members of the board?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Has anyone seen King Keano? He owes our DS boys and girls £63.

Has he not offered 5p in the £ NN?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Perhaps his actual words could be posted on twtd -

I'm sure that would raise £3.15p

Assuming you accept 5p in the pound as others had to when the binners previously weaselled out of coughing up what they owed

ps I'll start the ball rolling by sending over £10 to help cover their sh itty behaviour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Perhaps his actual words could be posted on twtd -

I'm sure that would raise £3.15p

Assuming you accept 5p in the pound as others had to when the binners previously weaselled out of coughing up what they owed

ps I'll start the ball rolling by sending over £10 to help cover their sh itty behaviour

Great gesture Bill. 

£10 winging it's way over from here too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This wonderful community never ceases to amaze me. Thanks so much guys. I'm in for a tenner too👍

Sweet, 3.3 more Canaries with hearts and King Keano can go to hell in a handcart as far as I'm concerned.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

My attempt at being funny Arthur Daley style GA47.

Fail?

Oh well! Cazzo, as they say in France.

Ha ha ... The fail was mine (whoosh!)

To quote Dante Aligeri’s famous phrase: merde alors

'tis done

lets shame these bin gobshytes

as I'm sure king binno spouted off believing he would not have to cough up

and might I suggest whatever anyone can afford would be most welcome, where possible

as this is not about 'willy waving' money wise either

ps young master Nigel has a paypal account to which you can transfer direct

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

young master Nigel has a paypal account to which you can transfer direct

Can someone PM me the necessaries to join in the fun?

39 minutes ago, marinersawan said:

The closest it came after they turned professional and entered the third division south was 1956/57, with them top and us bottom.  They were promoted to league 2 and we had to apply for re-election. One might feel that by rights we should have been relegated, and the two divisions gap would have happened. But - rules are rules. As I have mentioned before, quite how Ipswich got elected into the third division south after being only third in the southern league in 1938 (displacing Gillingham, and ahead of Guildford (5 points clear) and Plymouth Argyle II (ok presumably a reserve team - but our team II came 5th that year) is a bit of a mystery, possibly explained by the Cobbold family's legendary hospitality. So I'm not losing much sleep over accepting the rules back then. 

I was always aggrieved as a young lad that Arsenal got a dodgy promotion to the top division ahead of Spurs, Barnsley, Wolves and Birmingham after finishing sixth in 1914-15 (although apparently they were actually fifth and someone got their sums wrong) and have never been out of the top flight since. But the very presence of the Binscum in the Football League is an offence against natural justice.

1956-57 was a tumultuous season for us - any memories from the more senior members of the board?  

Yes lots, I can still remember the opening game against Crystal Palace, that I stood with my cousin and uncle in the South stand (although it was called the ground then because it wasn't segregated from the River End). It was all open to the elements in those days, only the Main stand and Barclay were covered. I believe we won one nil and my favourite player, Johnny Gavin scored. Ralph Hunt was centre forward and it was usually either Oxford or Nethercott in goal.

After a decent start things rapidly went downhill and I think we went something like 26 games without a win until Millwall turned up in March and we finally won 2-0. I stood in the enclosure in front of the main stand for that game. It was a season when the club nearly went bust and we had to borrow £500 quid off Kings Lynn and Eastern Counties newspapers had to to pay the players wages.

I can also recall men walking round the ground at half time with big white sheets held open while fans threw shillings(5p)  in to keep the club going.

I remember being worried that we wouldn't get re-elected but my dad said we'd be ok because in those days the other clubs would always re-elect teams that had good attendances. That was because back then away teams got a percentage of the gate.

Funny old times and a much different experience compared with today.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Can someone PM me the necessaries to join in the fun?

sorted, geezer innit

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Cheers, ta, lovely, thanks. Tenner sent to Nutty for the DS charity

Thanks on behalf of our DS boys and girls and the CSF. You're a star🌟

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Don't worry, we're in the queue behind the St. John's Ambulance, 1p5wich Town Council and the Inland Revenue. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Cheers, ta, lovely, thanks. Tenner sent to Nutty for the DS charity

any more for any more  ?

story further up the thread - binner weaselling out of paying

a couple of quid (or so) will cover that 'loss'

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Shoot me the details Bill. I may not agree with you in the EU thread, but I'll happily stump up for the dodgy binner.

When Bill invariably calls them paupers in many of his posts where the "dodgy binners" are mentioned, I no longer perceive this as a dearth of money, but more a paucity of morals.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Shoot me the details Bill. I may not agree with you in the EU thread, but I'll happily stump up for the dodgy binner.

if that's the case the you can't donate 😋

otherwise details pm'ed - it's a paypal account ran by Nutty that is handed over to the charity... so all above board

perhaps Nigel will put up the paypal account as it's not for me to post it up.... and thanks

I think this can be added on here

the new bin keeper has this to say

“I can’t wait to play here with a big crowd, a full house. It will be incredible.

"

incredible ?

a far kin miracle more like !

• Haha 1