Sign in to follow this  
Bill

transfer rumours - taken with a pinch of salt

Rather surprisingly almost ever rumour, player we are supposedly after, been linked with etc seems not to have attracted much comment on here.

Perhaps posters just think that Webber/Farke know what they are doing and so we will find out .......when they have a City shirt on or are holding a yellow and green scarf above their heads.

Or maybe they are German and it will save a bit of dosh if they ravel back o the players coach after the German 'tour'.

My concern is who might be going out. If Maddison attracted a bid of £20m plus then Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey are certainly in that price range.

Maddison was sold because we didn't get promoted and we therefore couldn't afford to keep him.  It is different this time - we have been promoted and we can afford to keep our best players.   Yes, they will attract attention, but we have them under good contracts, they are in the PL so the pressure to sell just isn't there. 

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

My concern is who might be going out. If Maddison attracted a bid of £20m plus then Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey are certainly in that price range.

Last year we needed the money,  in fact we were desperate.  With promotion and the wealth that goes with it, Webber has said that we don't need to sell, I guess we have to trust him on that. 

Agree that the rumours have been largely ignored, mainly because they are the wrong age (Mikel) too expensive (Mignolet) or potentially a bad fit and most of us know it.

There's still one or two I'd like to see but I fear Kalvin Phillips has attracted the attention of Villa and Saints, which rules us out and Bradley Dack who, as far as I know is still at Blackburn, fingers crossed. 

53 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Last year we needed the money,  in fact we were desperate.  With promotion and the wealth that goes with it, Webber has said that we don't need to sell, I guess we have to trust him on that. 

Agree that the rumours have been largely ignored, mainly because they are the wrong age (Mikel) too expensive (Mignolet) or potentially a bad fit and most of us know it.

There's still one or two I'd like to see but I fear Kalvin Phillips has attracted the attention of Villa and Saints, which rules us out and Bradley Dack who, as far as I know is still at Blackburn, fingers crossed. 

Really like Bradley Dack, would be a good signing. But feel like we missed the boat (last season) in getting him for a good fee. Likely to cost a fair few quid now, which may well rule us out. Shame.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Maddison was sold because we didn't get promoted and we therefore couldn't afford to keep him.  It is different this time - we have been promoted and we can afford to keep our best players.   Yes, they will attract attention, but we have them under good contracts, they are in the PL so the pressure to sell just isn't there. 

oh dear, if a City player is offered a contract elsewhere that triples his current City contract, what do we do ?

Match it and blow the dressing room apart ?

Try to block the sale and have one very 'disgruntled' player

Or accept that in the grand scheme of things we are bigger than Luton and York, and there are at least a half dozen PL clubs that are bigger than us.

That’s the issue, it’s all very well saying that the club shouldn’t sell and give them a hard time if they do, but if any of our best players are offered a big pay rise and better career prospects at a ‘bigger’ club and they want to go there isn’t an awful lot anyone can do unfortunately.