Sign in to follow this  
Hucks6

Grant Hanley

Sunday Sun are saying he could go back to Blackburn on loan. I would say no. Thoughts

I would be surprised as we need 4 CB and he is quite capable. Had he managed that tackle better against Portsmouth, we may have seen more of Grant Hanley last season. However, he is certainly 4th choice at the moment

After last season he is probably 4th choice and he joined us from Newcastle to play games. He did well the first season but if we want to progress there is no room for sentiment and he is probably the one you would look to upgrade in that area. Likely he also wants to play too. 

Tough one really. I doubt Hanley will want to hang around an be 4th choice and considering he is one of Norwich’s most expensive signings since Webber came in, you’d have to assume he is also one of the highest paid. From a budgeting point of view having one of your highest paid players as 4th choice is not a good look. 

However, if Norwich let him go, then he has to be replaced. As it is only a loan then you’d have to also assume that any replacement would probably cost more than the money being received for him. 

If he’s happy to stay and Norwich don’t have any centrebacks they feel would be better available for not a huge fee then probably not worth letting him go. If it’s a loan though, it means should Norwich be relegated they have a Championship quality centreback ready and waiting (and a homegrown one to boot). 

I can’t see him playing much in the upcoming season so there is a good chance he’ll leave. It’s very much in the balance. 

A loan could work, but only if there is a direct replacement or a recall clause - but not sure if the latter are permissible any more.  Can anyone confirm as trying to make sense of rules, especially between EPL / EFL clubs on loans, is taxing me!

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

A loan could work, but only if there is a direct replacement or a recall clause - but not sure if the latter are permissible any more.  Can anyone confirm as trying to make sense of rules, especially between EPL / EFL clubs on loans, is taxing me!

Players can only be recalled during a transfer window. Leicester recalled Harvey Barnes from WBA in that way in January. 

The ability to recall a player whenever due to injury etc isn’t an option - especially as Hanley is over 21 and would need to be registered in the Norwich squad. 

Panic buy. Not good enough with the ball. Get rid. 

Cardiff, Forest, Derby must be interested. 

• Thanks 1

Grant Hanley always seemed to me to be a genuine guy, always gave his best and never really made a bad mistake. Plus he's signed until 2023. 

He’s been promoted from the Champs twice hasn’t he? Granted (no pun intended)  he didn’t play a huge part in our promotion. He’s far too good for Blackburn.

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Players can only be recalled during a transfer window. Leicester recalled Harvey Barnes from WBA in that way in January. 

The ability to recall a player whenever due to injury etc isn’t an option - especially as Hanley is over 21 and would need to be registered in the Norwich squad. 

Thanks Bethnal, I suspected that freedom had been removed.  On that basis, a good young 'un with potential then to replace Hanley before we consider a loan out for him.

Isnt Hanley our captain?

I think he has been very impressive when he has played, and he hasnt moaned as far as I can tell at being out of the side. Id say we need him to provide competition at the very least. I wouldnt really put any of our CB's ahead of the others. Its really 2 from 4, which is a great situation to be in. Should Godfrey or Zimmerman struggle with adjusting to the step up Klose and Hanley is a great CB pairing to have

5 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I wouldnt really put any of our CB's ahead of the others. Its really 2 from 4, which is a great situation to be in. Should Godfrey or Zimmerman struggle with adjusting to the step up Klose and Hanley is a great CB pairing to have

Unfortunately, Farke has to make that decision and as things stand Godfrey and Zimmerman are first choice with Klose coming on if needs be. The fact that Hanley hasn't had a sniff since Portsmouth (I think) shows that there's clearly a pecking order. 

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Unfortunately, Farke has to make that decision and as things stand Godfrey and Zimmerman are first choice with Klose coming on if needs be. The fact that Hanley hasn't had a sniff since Portsmouth (I think) shows that there's clearly a pecking order. 

I think Klose will (and should) be first choice in the PL

2 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I think Klose will (and should) be first choice in the PL

I don't think it works like that under Farke. All the players are treated the same and it is up to individuals to stake their claim in training and then whoever gets the nod then has the chance to keep their place in the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think it works like that under Farke. All the players are treated the same and it is up to individuals to stake their claim in training and then whoever gets the nod then has the chance to keep their place in the team. 

Agreed. I’m sure Farke is telling the whole squad that it’s a clean slate now and it’s up to them in pre-season to prove they’re worth a place. Although having said that, if there are players - possibly Hanley, Cantwell, Oxborough...? - that the management team think are unlikely to play much, they might be having a conversation about loans. 

Doesn’t work like what? I agree with you everyone has to fight for their place and I think Klose will claim the place and then keep it (as he would’ve done in the championship had he stayed fit).

Im simply talking about who I think are the best players we’ve got and I believe Klose will be (or become) one of the starting two CBs for the upcoming season.

12 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Doesn’t work like what? I agree with you everyone has to fight for their place and I think Klose will claim the place and then keep it (as he would’ve done in the championship had he stayed fit).

Im simply talking about who I think are the best players we’ve got and I believe Klose will be (or become) one of the starting two CBs for the upcoming season.

In that case I miisunderstood - but you said Klose "should" be  first choice which implies he has some kind of right to be first choice.  Last season suggests that he won't be first choice, but we will see. 🙃

In that case I miisunderstood - but you said Klose "should" be  first choice which implies he has some kind of right to be first choice.  Last season suggests that he won't be first choice, but we will see. 🙃

“Should” doesn’t imply anything in the context I’ve used it other than in my opinion he’s a better CB at the level we’re going to playing at than anyone else we have at the club. I did start the sentence with “I think”. 

Last season suggests that when any player is given their chance, if they take it and perform well, Farke will continue to pick them for the starting 11. It doesn’t suggest Klose won’t be given the first chance, in fact it suggests he will as he started the last season and would’ve continued if not for injury. It was splendidrush that stated Godfrey and Zimmerman are currently first choice, I suppose a point I should’ve added was so was Klose until his injury.

The better question is who do people think will be the starting CBs against Liverpool. Will Farke stick with Godfrey and Zimmerman? Has Klose done enough to get a chance? Is Hanley still an option for the starting 11?

6 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

“Should” doesn’t imply anything in the context I’ve used it other than in my opinion he’s a better CB at the level we’re going to playing at than anyone else we have at the club. I did start the sentence with “I think”. 

Last season suggests that when any player is given their chance, if they take it and perform well, Farke will continue to pick them for the starting 11. It doesn’t suggest Klose won’t be given the first chance, in fact it suggests he will as he started the last season and would’ve continued if not for injury. It was splendidrush that stated Godfrey and Zimmerman are currently first choice, I suppose a point I should’ve added was so was Klose until his injury.

The better question is who do people think will be the starting CBs against Liverpool. Will Farke stick with Godfrey and Zimmerman? Has Klose done enough to get a chance? Is Hanley still an option for the starting 11?

I understand what you are saying, but I think Godfrey has kept Klose out of the team because he has proved himself to be at least as good at CB as Klose. So in the heirachy of things, I think that Klose and Godfrey are pretty much on a par with each other and will both be vying for that starting place at Liverpool. 

You might say that Godfrey doesn't have PL experience, but that doesn't mean he isn't good enough.

15 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I wouldnt say that at all. Farke's policy has always been, play well, you keep your shirt, especially if you're young. Godfrey got his oportunity, and did nothing to warrant being dropped. All the players know that is the situation and that it is fair. Klose and Hanley were probably the first choice centre-back pairing at the start of the season. Zimm and Godfrey got their opportunity, and to have dropped them for no reason to accomodate another player would have been very disruptive for team spirit and morale. Players know that if they are patient their opportunity will come and it is up to them to take it, and if they do they will keep the shirt. Its why we saw Zimm and Godfrey emerge, Aarons and Lewis emerge, and McLean keep his place despite having Vrancic and Leitner available. Rhodes also accepted that Pukki was keeping him out of the team. Speaks volumes for Farke's man management, the group collective and team spirit, and why players like Oliveira and Watkins were turfed out pretty quickly

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I understand what you are saying, but I think Godfrey has kept Klose out of the team because he has proved himself to be at least as good at CB as Klose. So in the heirachy of things, I think that Klose and Godfrey are pretty much on a par with each other and will both be vying for that starting place at Liverpool. 

You might say that Godfrey doesn't have PL experience, but that doesn't mean he isn't good enough.

It’s not Godfrey I think Klose will replace. Interesting assumption you make. Is Zimmerman really seen as the best CB at the club?

Which centre-half would you want the opposition striker playing off as last man. For me, Ben Godfrey has the pace and Tim Klose is best with a ball at his feet. Zimmermann just confounds and is there on merit. 

Hanley is a big unit with huge heart but he lacks the pace and the ball control for the EPL. But he is too good a player and a man to fester outside a first team. 

It comes down to how he feels. 

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

It’s not Godfrey I think Klose will replace. Interesting assumption you make. Is Zimmerman really seen as the best CB at the club?

I would be willing to put my neck on the line and say we'll start with our same CB pairing that finished the season... So Zimbo and Godders. Nice.

One or two underestimating Zimmermann imo. Why would you change a centre back pairing that saw us through nearly half a season with only one defeat. 20 out of 21 unbeaten. Would be harsh to change that imo.  Not that Klose isn't up to replacing either of them, but Zimbo and Godfrey have earned the right to have the first go imo.

If it doesn't work, then it can be changed, as it got changed last season. Zimbo is a huge inspiration on the pitch and his defending, anticipation and positioning are generally spot on.  Saved a good many points with his goal line clearances and well timed last ditch tackles too. 

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

One or two underestimating Zimmermann imo. Why would you change a centre back pairing that saw us through nearly half a season with only one defeat. 20 out of 21 unbeaten. Would be harsh to change that imo.  Not that Klose isn't up to replacing either of them, but Zimbo and Godfrey have earned the right to have the first go imo.

If it doesn't work, then it can be changed, as it got changed last season. Zimbo is a huge inspiration on the pitch and his defending, anticipation and positioning are generally spot on.  Saved a good many points with his goal line clearances and well timed last ditch tackles too. 

He may well start in pre-season with the team that finished, but if any of them are looking off the pace and those outside the first X1 look sharper, he'll change it I think. Godfrey and Zimmermann cant rest on their laurels. If they're not on their game in pre-season and Klose/Hanley are I think the place is a free-for-all

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

He may well start in pre-season with the team that finished, but if any of them are looking off the pace and those outside the first X1 look sharper, he'll change it I think. Godfrey and Zimmermann cant rest on their laurels. If they're not on their game in pre-season and Klose/Hanley are I think the place is a free-for-all

I agree totally, all the players will have to show they are up to it, but I find it a bit surprising some people want to change it already.  They are all capable of stepping up and it is hoped they all do step up - it will make for great competition for places.