Sign in to follow this  
smooth

Ben Godfrey or Tom Trybull

We have discussed, at a club level and on this board, about Godfrey's development and if he is a better fit for that defensive midfield position or centre half.

Farke has said Godfrey's development at centre half would mean potentially more opportunities for him to play at the highest level and it is in that position that all the interest has arisen.

However we are very aware we need a dominating defensive midfielder who really owns the park. Tom Trybull is a very popular player and quite rightly made that position his own last year. Tettey is great cover for the group who can easily come on if and when needed.

But what if we cannot get in that defensive midfielder or whoever we brings in struggles or gets injured. With klose signed up and Zimmerman a true leader would a battle for Godfrey and Tom Trybull for that position be worth looking at when we are so short on finances.

Godfrey has begun to read the game well from playing the centre half position.

He has one hell of an engine, as seen in the Stoke game running from one box to another to break up a break away in the 2nd half.

He drives at defences and you can see he can play the ball forward which is another depth to his game which could be taken advantage of.

He has been a goal scorer.

The alleged interest may be from his role at centre half but it is reported that others see him as that defensive midfield position.

As we attack he can sit back and help klose and Zimmerman by knowing the two so well.

I just wonder if a battle between Tom Trybull and Godfrey maybe a good battle to have so that we have better players on the pitch in klose and Godfrey, rather than Trybull and Godfrey.

The Defensive midfield position is critical and I hope we bring in an upgrade, however top 6 teams are looking at Godfrey in that position. So should we this season?

• Thanks 1

I definitely thing it's worth trying Klose and Zimm with BG in front of them with TT in pre-season and see how we get on. Many of the best players around those positions can play both and I feel BG is that good he could do both. Time will tell on this.

Everything I saw from Godfrey last season told me Farke is correct. Has everything potential wise to be a very good CB at a good level. 

I'm not sure he would be a top midfielder. 

Think some fair points.

Godfrey has all his accolades from playing centre half and rightly so. I personally feel I have seen a bit in his game where he can be further forward or slip back into a back three when we attack down the flanks in a slight change in tactics due to the premier League. 

But in all honesty I hope we get a new defensive midfielder who becomes excellent at what we need him to do. As he will make Godfrey and the defence better.

It is the position we need most help with and it is critical in the premier League. I do think Godfrey's development from central midfield to centre half has been miraculous given the short time he has played there. I hope it continues as we add better players around him in that key position.

To put it bluntly, I don't think that Rio would be pushing him at man utd if he were playing DM last season. As farke has (almost) said, he could have a good career as a DM but he could have an excellent one as a CB in the modern game.

Keep godfrey CB, farke done well to spot him being a CB.. plus hes rapid to recover/cover any mistakes 

Who’d have thought Tettey would be an also-ran for the DM position 12, or even 6 months ago? Shows how far we’ve come.

Should definitely keep him as a CB. I wonder, though, if Farke will revert to three at the back for some games - in which case, he's obviously the most mobile, technical and skilful of the three, so might be given licence to step out with the ball and distribute from that deep midfield position.

Id have Klose ahead of Godfrey personally. Godfrey still needs to develop. Im not sure that is a luxury we can afford at this level in such a vital position. I think Klose has better distribution, has more experience and is left footed in the left sided berth. We could perhaps take a different view in the defensive midfield position. It perhaps wouldnt harm his development to gain experience in this position at such a high level, and if we survive, he would arguably be better equipped to play CB in the Prem the season afterward.

What I dont know about Godfrey is his mobility and work rate. A good DM needs to be like a bulldog snapping at the heels, chasing the ball down all the time, constantly on the move. I've not really seen Godfrey play like this so not sure if he has these attributes or not.

Farke has gone on record as saying he sees him as a 'classy centre-back', so would be surprised if he plays him anywhere but there

30 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Id have Klose ahead of Godfrey personally. Godfrey still needs to develop. Im not sure that is a luxury we can afford at this level in such a vital position. I think Klose has better distribution, has more experience and is left footed in the left sided berth. We could perhaps take a different view in the defensive midfield position. It perhaps wouldnt harm his development to gain experience in this position at such a high level, and if we survive, he would arguably be better equipped to play CB in the Prem the season afterward.

What I dont know about Godfrey is his mobility and work rate. A good DM needs to be like a bulldog snapping at the heels, chasing the ball down all the time, constantly on the move. I've not really seen Godfrey play like this so not sure if he has these attributes or not.

Farke has gone on record as saying he sees him as a 'classy centre-back', so would be surprised if he plays him anywhere but there

I'll say yo haven't seen godfrey snapping at heels as I'd guess farke has told him to yield his positioning and not get needless bookings

For me it has to be Trybull as Godfrey is clearly favoured at Centre Back. But what about Louis Thompson? He was given a very long new contract by Farke and Webber just last season so he must be highly thought of. Obviously injury issues got in the way last season  but Farke must like him with that sort of contract. So what position does he have in mind for him?