king canary

Possibly the dumbest article I've ever read on the Pinkun

Half asleep and on the beach. Probably the best times to play these two.😉

Some of what he said rings true, the Premiership was and is designed to promote the big Clubs, to use them to generate income through subscriptions and to maximize revenue from advertising. 

We're not part of this game, we're just canon fodder for the Big Clubs to bully before once again returning to the Championship, having had all our assets stripped away. 

If you're a fan of anyone outside the top six, you'll recognize this, the only Clubs that have won the Premiership aside from them is Blackburn and Leicester, both who have bought the title 

The next stage will be the Big six creating a European Super League with all the other wealthy Clubs across Europe, taking the sponsors and subscriptions with them.

He'll have a point that it cant be right we are away both first and last?

also the Premier league admitted a while ago that they never pair two possible title contenders on the last day   (although they've slipped up this season !!!)

• Like 1

My namesake has a point, we are away on the first and last fixture, which should be avoided according to guidlines, but other than that, can't think of a better time to play either of those teams - first day fixtures can throw up unusual results - and last day fixtures can be strange too, depending on what is at stake for various clubs.  In past years, as well as losses, we have taken points at Anfield and at Man City - so no reason to be pessimistic about our chances at either.

13 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Did Leicester buy the title? 

Okay, let me put it this way, there's no way that they would have won it without serious investment. 

The idea that 'little Leicester' are an example to us all that anyone can still win the Title is farcical. 

Are there really guidelines about not starting and finishing with away games?  

As to the rest, it’s all a bit ‘meh’.  We all have to play everyone twice, you can’t really tell in advance when it would be a ‘good’ time.  Perhaps Liverpool will be slow starters and have an eye on the Super Cup (though I doubt it)?!

5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Okay, let me put it this way, there's no way that they would have won it without serious investment.  The idea that 'little Leicester' are an example to us all that anyone can still win the Title is farcical. 

They have a goalkeeper who is not the best, yet they won the title, they had one striker who scored most of the goals, they had one midfielder in Mahrez who outshone the rest - and the rest of the team were not hugely expensive  (as far as I can recall).  Won the title through sheer determination, teamwork and togetherness - and the fact their key players didn't get injured.

They proved the domination of the top six could be pierced without bottomless pockets, it needs to be done again by someone. 

14 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Okay, let me put it this way, there's no way that they would have won it without serious investment. 

The idea that 'little Leicester' are an example to us all that anyone can still win the Title is farcical. 

Their whole back five cost them buttons, I remember looking it up at the time. That whole side was assembled for peanuts relative to most PL spends. 

5 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

“Leicester bought the title” - didn’t Mahrez cost under a million? 🤔🤔🤔

Vardy cost shirt buttons as well.

To be fair to him he is expressing an opinion unlike that Freezer fella how just copies and pastes articles from the club website and other publications 👍

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Serious investment??

Schmeichel

Simpson

Fuchs

Huth

Morgan

Kante

Drinkwater

Albrighton

Mahrez

Okazaki

Vardy

......where exactly ??!?

As I recall, Arsenal wanted Vardy but he chose to stay, I wonder why?

Mahrez, like Kante, were not on small contracts, certainly not the sort we'd be able to afford. 

Just because they were not expensive to sign, doesn't mean that they were cheap. 

16 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

As I recall, Arsenal wanted Vardy but he chose to stay, I wonder why?

Mahrez, like Kante, were not on small contracts, certainly not the sort we'd be able to afford. 

Just because they were not expensive to sign, doesn't mean that they were cheap. 

Mahrez signed for about £400k from a French second tier side when Leicester were in the Championship. Even if he had signed a new contract prior to the title win, I doubt he'd have been on much.

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

Agreed, and the same with Blackburn.

Interesting one re: Leicester's spending or otherwise to achieve the title.

With the backing they benefit from they were never likely to be short changed in the kitty stakes, but neither would they have been bankrolled ad infinitum, although Khun Vichai did claim, following Leicester's promotion to the Premier League in 2014, that he would spend £180m to break into the top five within three years.

The squad at Ranieri's disposal actually cost about £60m in total which is not peanuts, but even then would have paled into insignificance compared to the big boy's expenditure. Apparently though the team he actually fielded at the start of that season had cost just £25m.

To a certain extent, and by comparison with any level of transfer market investment by NCFC when we were in the top league (and indeed that proposed for the upcoming season) there is some truth in the statement there was some "serious" investment but more to the point is that, like City they had previously made some shrewd moves into the transfer market (eg Vardy, Mahrez) and also had a few youngsters from their youth set-up come through at the right time.

It would be nice if Norwich City could have some £60m to spend this Summer though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

36 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Serious investment??

Schmeichel

Simpson

Fuchs

Huth

Morgan

Kante

Drinkwater

Albrighton

Mahrez

Okazaki

Vardy

......where exactly ??!?

I need to ask again?.....where?...£60m??...I dont see a lot that was spent on this side?

They only just avoided relegation the season before?

...cant inagine the wages of this lot were huge at the time either?

Obviously the following season their contracts would have been improved snd they did spend quite a bit in trying to improve thd team i.e Slimani....but this team ws assembled on peanuts

.....did somebody really compare this side to the expenditure made by Blackburn Rovers in 1995?!?....the only similarity maybe the actual transfer fee figures involved , if you dont take into account the 20 years of inflation between both title wins!!!

The Premiership is about income and this time it looks like Norwich intend to use it to grow the Club. Something they should have done before but p!ssed it up a wall instead. 

The paucity and irregularity of games is miserable compared to the Championship which is mainly midweek and Saturdays as suits most supporters. This is for the benefit of the few who play in Europe and have the temerity to whinge about too many fixtures whilst having deep squads.

And then there are the sudden spates of games around Christmas which also punish sides with smaller squads. 

The best things about the PL are getting there and the first season with your promoted side. Thereafter, for most it is dire, with one home game only some months and weeks without a win. Demoralising defeats by state funded teams to remind you of the unbridgeeable gap and arrogant fans. 

It used to be so much better when sides had a chance to dream as we did in finishing 3rd. 

But I really feel for our team, their spirit and unity, the aspirational youngsters and the born again stars and I desperately want to see them flourish along with our humble manager and thoughtful DoF. 

Can a system and team spirit overcome? It will make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. 

And finally, I'd love to see the overpaid and underinformed pundits confounded. Will it happen? The EPL isn't the dream factory it could be. 

Atalanta who we play in pre-season are from a similar sized city who have rubbed their Milanese neighbours noses in the dirt. Is this our omen? 

• Like 5

At the start of the 2015 season Leicester's squad was reportedly worth almost £53 million compared to ours worth just over £40 million.

Leicester's wage bill for 2015-16 was reportedly £80 million compared to ours at £67 million.

Clearly they spent more than we did, but I'd suggest that the numbers are not that far apart. Certainly they were a long way off the 'big 6' clubs with squad values and wages in the hundreds of millions.

Playing the first and last game away is not against the guidelines-or at least not the guidelines mentioned in the article. They state that no team should start or finish the season with 2 consecutive home or away games-we don't.

And the conspiracy theory that the Premier League have somehow conspired to give promoted teams less chance of staying up would have more credibility if Villa and Sheff Utd had been given "unfair" first and last games too-but Villa have Spurs first and West Ham last, and Utd have Bournemouth first and Southampton last.

And that's if you believe that when you play a team has any effect on the likely outcome. I don't.

From espnfc.com

LEICESTER

Kasper Schmeichel - £2m
Danny Simpson - £2m
Robert Huth - £3m
Wes Morgan - £1m
Christian Fuchs - Free
Marcin Wasilewski - Free
Marc Albrighton - Free
Danny Drinkwater - £1m
N'Golo Kante - £5.6m
Riyad Mahrez - £400,000
Shinji Okazaki - £7m
Jamie Vardy - £1m
Mark Schwarzer - Free
Jeffrey Schlupp - Free
Demarai Gray - £3.8m
Andrej Kramaric - £7m
Yohan Benalouane - £5.6m
Andy King - Free
Gokhan Inler - £5m
Leonardo Ulloa - £10m

TOTAL: £54.4m

The previous calculation I found was nearer £60m, so was possibly made at a different stage.

Interestingly according to Transfermarkt...

Leicester spent 45m on incoming transfers and won the league in 15/16. Norwich City spent 43m that season and got relegated.

Leicester spent 20m the season before. So they won the premier league in their second season on an estimated transfer spend of 65m...

For anyone to say that is anything other than an absolutely astonishing achievement is only fooling themselves. 

Blackburn brought the title. To suggest Leicester did is nonsense of the highest order

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Playing the first and last game away is not against the guidelines-or at least not the guidelines mentioned in the article. They state that no team should start or finish the season with 2 consecutive home or away games-we don't.

And the conspiracy theory that the Premier League have somehow conspired to give promoted teams less chance of staying up would have more credibility if Villa and Sheff Utd had been given "unfair" first and last games too-but Villa have Spurs first and West Ham last, and Utd have Bournemouth first and Southampton last.

And that's if you believe that when you play a team has any effect on the likely outcome. I don't.

....clearly when you play a team can have an effect on the outcome

what might appear a tough run in at the start of a season may not be when yhe time comes depending on what the opposition has to play for?

Remember huddersfield having man city and chelsea away at the end of the season a couple of years ago...but when the fixtures came round both were on the beach and Huddersfield got 4 points from those two and stayed up.

....and of course we won at man city last game of the season a few years back when we couldnt have gone there in better circumstances.

...Man City had just lost an FA Cup final to Wigan the week before and then Mancini announced he was leaving 2 days later in the week leading up to our game.....the Etihad was like a morgue and I suspect we wouldnt have won there at any other point of the season

On that list of 'cheapies' there are six players over 5 million, we won't be doing anything like that. The freebies like Albrighton would not have signed without a significant contract, maybe not in The big League but to be able to sign all these players,  shows that the money that had recently arrived strengthened their bargaining position.