Hi all,

Long time reader not long time poster.

I just wanted to see your opinions on the Villains and there spending powers already, is that the way forward? Are we going to cautiously into the premier or are we attacking it right?

We’re doing it the only way we can - we aren’t in a position to pee money away a la Fulham, nor would most supporters want us to - and IMO it’d be as likely to fail as to succeed.  What others like Villa do doesn’t/shouldn’t really concern us, we’ll go about things in a relatively low-key/quiet way as per usual.

• Like 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Villa **** a load of cash last season, and the one before, and scrape their way up through the playoffs, whilst we spent pretty much nothing and romped the league?

You can spend 8million on Ricky van Wolfswinkel or sign Pukki on a free. Which strategy is better? The money is a complete misnomer - it doesn't matter what you spend, it is quality and how they fit the team.

• Like 4

Villa would be expected to come up all guns blazing, they are a big Club in a big City and media darlings to boot.

The fact that they've been poorly managed, even with those massive resources, is why they scraped up through the playoffs, heavily dependent on loans. 

Regardless of their spend, expect them to be bottom half this season. 

Today I notice that they are in the market @ some £22m for Belgian League striker, the Brazilian Wesley.

The downside is that it is more than our reported whole budget on just one player.

The upside is that much of Villa's big spending in many the recent season has not really proven to be value for money, McCormack not being the sole example. They do seem to have had their fair share of big money flops, not least nearly £20m for Darren Bent's rather brief spell there. He scored useful goals, but was loaned out after a couple of quite stormy seasons.

I suppose that they are recalling the success they had with Benteke.

A hint of Fulham's failed policy springs to mind initially but, of course we'll need to see. Their current manager seems a good fit and somebody I would trust a few bob to a lot more than I would a mercenary like Lambert.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Hey NCFC Tom,

I think Villa need to spend, their better players were on loan and they need to also build an ethos and cohesion.

They can buy players but they don't have the ethos and cohesion that we have, with a promoted squad without any departures.

They also can afford to spend and it is no surprise to see them try and buy their survival. These players may have match winning moments, but can they build the cohesion up quickly.

I think we are ahead on cohesion, ethos and have a team. I think we need that defensive midfielder, second striker, attacking midfielder, right back cover and potentially a second string keeper. But these are not players to build a team around. The key additions are defensive midfielder, then second striker and attacking midfielder for the number 10 role.

I think we will see them spend a lot of money but they have to build up that team ethic, they like us will have winless runs. I believe we have been built to understand that may happen, I wonder about villa and their newly built team. I think we can handle winless runs and stop the rot after a few games. TBH I think we will not have long runs of losses because the way the group will stick together. Yes we will have losing runs but I feel we can also have winning runs too.

• Like 2

It's a risky signing, though he does look at a good player. However, there is no guarantee he will be an improvement on Tammy Abrahams, so what they have potentially done is spent £22 million to keep their squad as good as it was last season in that position, and that was only good enough to finish 5th, 18 points behind us. However good Wesley looks, £22 million on a player who has only scored in the Slovakian and Belgian Leagues is a hell of a punt.

14 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

£22m for a striker who scored 10 in Belgium is absurd - and a sign of what we are up against in the market

Yeah, that's what my mate in Belgium said , incredible... He's not a bad player , but hasn't proved himself on the big stage yet...We're gonna have to be shrewed...

17 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Yeah, that's what my mate in Belgium said , incredible... He's not a bad player , but hasn't proved himself on the big stage yet...We're gonna have to be shrewed...

And tame our instincts to spend?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, smooth said:

I think Villa need to spend, their better players were on loan and they need to also build an ethos and cohesion.

They can buy players but they don't have the ethos and cohesion that we have, with a promoted squad without any departures.

They also can afford to spend and it is no surprise to see them try and buy their survival. These players may have match winning moments, but can they build the cohesion up quickly.

I agree with this. 

Villa need to spend more than us as their best players were loanees. They have a good manager imo and I think that this is their best chance of survival, but the problem may come if they make a slow start.

Too often "ambitious" owners lose patience with the manager trying to integrate new players into the squad, especially after they have spent a shed load of money. They seem to think that having done so, survival should be assured and quickly lose patience if the start poorly and sack the manager and destabilise the club.

I think Villa need to spend more than us, but don't think that it guarantees that they will finish above us. If the owners are impatient, it could soon land Villa in a lot of difficulty.

17 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

A word on plays...

I want to see the company’s faith in existing players repaid measure for measure. Not the comedy of errors typically associated with a tempest of new stars who double the bills.

Seems that Villa have "done a Derby" and sold their ground to their owners to avoid FFP. 

It would be hilarious if the owners get sick of being one of the premier League whipping boys and sold the Club and ground to different people to maximize profits.

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

It would be hilarious if the owners get sick of being one of the premier League whipping boys and sold the Club and ground to different people to maximize profits.

That is always a risk to a club. Or that they sell the club but not the ground.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I would've thought that the club have protected themselves by getting the ground back on a long-term lease of some description, which probably stipulates they can't be kicked out...

Possible - it would be encouraging for Villa fans if this were the case. It removes some of the element of protection to the owners though, so often they are separate. It provides a sort of insurance policy for the owners.

On 14/06/2019 at 13:34, Fuzzar said:

Think that all this fanfare about Villa's new signings could end up being much ado about nothing.

£20 million for Mings and looking at McCarthy now also , I do hope their spending big and flop. Hoping Mings doesn't go all Oliviera on our players.

16 minutes ago, ncfc-tom said:

£20 million for Mings and looking at McCarthy now also , I do hope their spending big and flop. Hoping Mings doesn't go all Oliviera on our players.

Villa have to spend a fair whack as it appears either half of their best players were loanees that have had to return to their parent club, or replace some of the others with upgrades. I feel they have a big job on their hands. But after the respect their club and fans showed us in the last day of the season, I have only respect for them - there’s other clubs I’d much rather see relegated than them this coming season.

Have to agree with you there Alex as on the last day of the season they were very gracious towards us.

• Like 1

Just a natural thing in Villa's case. I believe their fans expect them to go up and stay up as they do have potential.

But it is becoming riskier each season to keep waving cash about for players from Europe. There is no guarantee and it can lead to so many problems. Arnautovic being a prime example.

Villa have some decent players but they also have a record of overpaying when they recruit. There are plenty of examples of them spanking big bucks on players who have moderate abilities at best or who don’t fit their style of play.

They are 7/4 to get relegated. This is a very generous price when all things are considered. They were the playoff promotion winners, changed their manager for no apparent reason and seem panicked by every transfer window plus they finished last season some way behind us in terms of points.

It takes a long time to win a bet like this but they would be my pick for relegation regardless of their deeper pockets.

Edited by Bonzo

Listened to a little bit of Talksh!te this morning and Brazil & Parlour were waxing lyrical about Villa predictably, saying because they are starting to chuck a bit of money about that they could do a Wolves, saying Grealish will get into the England squad and Mings is a great signing blah blah blah. Never mind how far behind us and Sheff Utd they were last season, but because they are a ‘big’ club they’ll do well while us and Blades will struggle. 

Usual National media tripe. 

14 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Just a natural thing in Villa's case. I believe their fans expect them to go up and stay up as they do have potential.

But it is becoming riskier each season to keep waving cash about for players from Europe. There is no guarantee and it can lead to so many problems. Arnautovic being a prime example.

Didn't West Ham sign Arnautovic from Stoke? Don't think he's the best example.