Sign in to follow this  
General Melchett

So Fleming at centre back on Saturday?

Our centre back pairing should go to players who are proven in that role.   There are two contenders for the right side of the partnership - Doc and Flem.  To me Doc has been outstanding since the Ippo game and is first choice centre half and should be played in his prefered slot, on the right..

For the left had side we have three candidates, Shax, Flem and Charlie.  Sadly the first choice is apparently stillnot fit so that means a choice between Flem and charlie.   Of the two charlie always outperformed Flem when partnered last season and being a left footer is the natural choice to play that side.   

The only other option is to pair flem and doc again but move doc to the left.  Whenever this pair has been used Doc has always been on the left and he has looked a quarter of the player he is on the right.  Flem & Doc has been tried and has repeatedly and consistently failed - surely worthy cannot be so blind not to have learnt his lesson by now???

The other options (Drury, Colin, Wright) mean playing defenders out of their key roles - it really is a case of the best 2 from Doc, Flem and Charlie.   

I am a simple man - round pegs for round holes.   Your best right footed man on the right and best left footed man on the left.  That means Doc and Charlie.

OTBC

I would like to see Simon Charlton playing there - he may not have the height but was our best player at the start of the premiership season when played as the left center back. He also distributed the ball well from this central position.  Unfortunatly he has not looked half as good as a left back or senter midfielder.

Fleming i fear would need to play on the right - thus moving Doherty to a position he has never looked comfortable in.

Who do i think will play - flem right side Doc left side...

I would prefer to see charlie there, but i dont think that will happen, nor do i think that Fleming will play on the right. he is a stop gap and doherty deserves to keep his right sided position, i cant see worthy changing that around.

Walcott can kill us for pace, so expect our back four to be camped on our 18-yard line, as that''s Fleming''s way. This will mean that the gap between the back four and our front two will be enormous, so that we can''t play the ball through midfield. Cue the ball hoofed up aimlessly to Ashton and McVeigh (consequently, WLY Paul will be subbed for not creating anything).

Instead of pushing up on the shoulder of the last Saints'' defender (in order to take their shape back 20 or 30 yards), Worthington will get our front players to drop deeper and deeper to help defend. This means we''ll be under pressure for the majority of the game and Saints will eventually score against us, probably in the last 15 minutes.

It''s all so depressingly predictable, isn''t it?!!

I would be tempted on Dean Coney''s suggestion of a back three of Doc Drury and Wright, or failing that giving Rossi J a go but I guess we''re gonna end up with Fleming and Doc and a really sketchy defence.