king canary

New membership scheme

9 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I'm going to stick my neck out without research and say I doubt it...

You can watch Premier League football cheaper at about half of the Premier League clubs. 

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

So Ricardo here is a question for you. Had they have announced that there would be a 3000 cap (including the now famous 750) would you have spent £50? 

If they had announced a cap then people who didn't get a place and wanted one would be moaning their heads off about lack of loyalty from the club. That's why there is no cap.

I personally wouldn't pay out 50 quid just on the off chance of getting a ticket.

Edited by ricardo
Spelling
  • Like 2

I like the new scheme but i guess this is down to being more likely to get to the away games i fancy now than i was before.  

I assume those moaning about it are less likely to get tickets and/or out of pocket.  

Change is to be embraced....

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If they had announced a cap then people who didn't get a place and wanted one would be moaning there heads off about lack of loyalty from the club. That's why there is no cap.

I personally wouldn't pay out 50 quid just on the off chance of getting a ticket.

There is a cap on away memberships. If you look at the availability the premier is showing as good with standard as very good. I’m not going for either as I think that other than the top six, most away matches will have ample tickets for season ticket holders

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

There is a cap on away memberships. If you look at the availability the premier is showing as good with standard as very good. I’m not going for either as I think that other than the top six, most away matches will have ample tickets for season ticket holders

Quite possibly.

More likely is that if we manage survive in 16/17th position this season, they will be paying us the £50 incentive to attend away matches next season as it probably means we have lost most of those this campaign.

Having done a search online I have yet to find a single other premier league club that has a separate away membership scheme. Admittedly my research is fool proof and I have to caveat it by saying that a couple of the websites are so poor I can't find how they do their away tickets (and a couple need registration) so there are 3 or 4 I've not been able to check but out of the rest I have yet to find one offering away membership. The closest is Wolves who offer an away season ticket for £50 (renewal) or £70 (new) which obviously 100% guarantees you a ticket to every game. With all the others who offer membership it seems to cover both home and away access and other than Spurs premium membership is less than £50 (in most cases around £30).

Can't find any other that do, including many of the biggest clubs. Also can't find any that do not operate a loyalty points system based in the number of home or away games attended in a recent season or seasons or any that do not weight the priority system in favour of season ticket holders by giving them extra points in comparison to members etc.

Southampton, Burnley and Watford don't appear to have members at all from what I can see and all have better value ST's than us. 

Interesting really because one of the explanations given was that this is something that lots of premier league clubs do. 

Wonder how the other Premiership clubs prioritise their fans allocation of away game tickets.....and are their 'hopeful' supporters also charged £50.00?......I assume our club did some research on how our other 'top flight competitors' allocate their away ticket allocation?..... 

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Wonder how the other Premiership clubs prioritise their fans allocation of away game tickets.....and are their 'hopeful' supporters also charged £50.00?......I assume our club did some research on how our other 'top flight competitors' allocate their away ticket allocation?..... 

see post above.

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Oops sorry Jim.....

no need to apologise. Great minds and all that. Although fools seldom differ...…...

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

no need to apologise. Great minds and all that. Although fools seldom differ...…...

It’s a membership Jim, but not as we know it.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo

On a somewhat related note, did I read somewhere that we are at least, as season ticket holders, getting home cup games free this year? Or did I completely imagine that!

On 12/06/2019 at 08:38, SwindonCanary said:

My worry is what happens the following season, will it continually be the 10 away games ?  

I bet the membership will be £60 

I do find it odd that NCFC (and as importantly, our supporters) seem to separate us out into being home and away fans…having to buy multiple memberships for what is effectively one thing is rather weird - but supporters going on about their ‘points’ shows precisely why the club thinks it is needed.  I’m sure, being the club it is, they are looking at the comments made, but tbh there are always going to be winners and losers when things change.

It is interesting, though - being Surrey-based I used to only really be able to go to away games and never ever had a problem getting a ticket to games all over the place until relatively recently.  I now have a season ticket and travel up for home games and am largely resigned to not go to (nearby) away games, but consider it to be just one of those things.

Ulitmately it doesn’t matter what other sides do regarding membership schemes - for instance, compared to the big guys, Saints, Watford and Burnley aren’t as well followed - particularly away - so there’s probably no need for any ‘scheme’, certainly for their away fans.

31 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I do find it odd that NCFC (and as importantly, our supporters) seem to separate us out into being home and away fans…having to buy multiple memberships for what is effectively one thing is rather weird - but supporters going on about their ‘points’ shows precisely why the club thinks it is needed.  I’m sure, being the club it is, they are looking at the comments made, but tbh there are always going to be winners and losers when things change.

It is interesting, though - being Surrey-based I used to only really be able to go to away games and never ever had a problem getting a ticket to games all over the place until relatively recently.  I now have a season ticket and travel up for home games and am largely resigned to not go to (nearby) away games, but consider it to be just one of those things.

Ulitmately it doesn’t matter what other sides do regarding membership schemes - for instance, compared to the big guys, Saints, Watford and Burnley aren’t as well followed - particularly away - so there’s probably no need for any ‘scheme’, certainly for their away fans.

As a plastic exile, albeit London and Boston US, I pretty much only go to away games and always try to get away tickets through the club, but usually fail. I think some of that is in their thinking. Not saying it's right but maybe I'll sit with city fans this year as opposed to sitting in away grounds home stands

What strikes me reading this thread - and I fully acknowledge my own bias in this - is although there is a general unhappiness at the new scheme, there are so many different individual situations that the club is never going to come up with a scheme that suits everyone. A common theme is that season ticket holders are unhappy that their dedication to watching the club at home whas gone from being extremely influential when buying away tickets to worth nothing. But we have so many season ticket holders this is hardly surprising. As a supporter who only pretty much only goes to away games I struggle to see why a commitment to - and discount for - watching the club at home entitles you to first place in the queue for away games. I do agree that away points do reflect loyalty and should have been reflected, but it looks like the club have tried to do this in the group of 750 supporters who have previously had away season tickets or attended 10+ matches. So you have to buy Premier membership to activate this? Well we all do.

tl;dr - it’s not perfect but what would be?

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

What strikes me reading this thread - and I fully acknowledge my own bias in this - is although there is a general unhappiness at the new scheme, there are so many different individual situations that the club is never going to come up with a scheme that suits everyone. A common theme is that season ticket holders are unhappy that their dedication to watching the club at home whas gone from being extremely influential when buying away tickets to worth nothing. But we have so many season ticket holders this is hardly surprising. As a supporter who only pretty much only goes to away games I struggle to see why a commitment to - and discount for - watching the club at home entitles you to first place in the queue for away games. I do agree that away points do reflect loyalty and should have been reflected, but it looks like the club have tried to do this in the group of 750 supporters who have previously had away season tickets or attended 10+ matches. So you have to buy Premier membership to activate this? Well we all do.

The point really is that they could have introduced a fair system, easily, without charging. This is a hypocritical revenue raising scheme from a club that holds itself out as a community club, taxing the clubs most loyal fans who will pay more for away tickets than any other premier league fans. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The point really is that they could have introduced a fair system, easily, without charging. This is a hypocritical revenue raising scheme from a club that holds itself out as a community club, taxing the clubs most loyal fans who will pay more for away tickets than any other premier league fans. 

Presumably they had to try and find a way of matching the revenue from home and away casual sales, with a ticket capped price of £30.

18 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Presumably they had to try and find a way of matching the revenue from home and away casual sales, with a ticket capped price of £30.

The point is that clubs receive a huge amount of TV money and the fans are supposed to benefit from that with reduced ticket prices.  The amount of money raised from membership schemes  will not be huge enough to make a big difference to the overall income of the club and they could have been more he;pful to fans by keeping membership cost down.

To try and offset any small loss from the £30 ticket rule by asking so much money for membership schemes is unecessary and frankly vindictive.  As a casual I would have been as happy to pay one lot of £50 for overall membership, but to be asked for two lots is way out of order.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The point is that clubs receive a huge amount of TV money and the fans are supposed to benefit from that with reduced ticket prices.  The amount of money raised from membership schemes  will not be huge enough to make a big difference to the overall income of the club and they could have been more he;pful to fans by keeping membership cost down.

To try and offset any small loss from the £30 ticket rule by asking so much money for membership schemes is unecessary and frankly vindictive.  As a casual I would have been as happy to pay one lot of £50 for overall membership, but to be asked for two lots is way out of order.

I agree with this Lakey and I'm not defending the Club's decision - I'm merely putting forward what might have been their financial reasoning. I also agree that one membership charge would have been much fairer and as an exile myself with five family members (including me) registered with the Club, I won't be watching any live games next season, unless I pick a favourite or go on my own.

32 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Why? We get £100m from Sky. Any lost revenue (if there actually is any "lost revenue" - as we will now sell out every game at £30 a ticket - didn't happen last season very often) is a tiny, tiny percentage of the revenue increase we get just from being premier league. And also if there is a small drop in revenue why should it be cross subsidised by taxing our most loyal fans?

The premier league ticket rule was brought in to benefit fans. it has nothing to do with Norwich City but they have decided to "tax" the benefit that would otherwise have accrued to their fans to take a slice of it. It stinks. As far as I can see no other premier league club does this and all cheaper memberships and none have away only memberships.

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Nothing will be perfect but it would be good if it made some sense.

There were some gripes about the previous system but this system is pretty much worse for everyone.

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes- the splitting out of membership into home and away is the part I have trouble thinking of any justification for.

I've written a letter which I am posting this morning (they are going to get a lakey lecture) -

Dear Delia and Michael,

I am writing to you to express my utmost dismay of the new membership scheme which has left me - and many others, it seems - in no doubt that we are not valued supporters of the club.  The scheme affects nearly everyone who follows the club and has upset so many people, basically ruining a lot of the goodwill that has built up towards the club in recent times.   I am bewildered as to how anyone at the club would think this scheme is in any way sensible, let alone justifiable.  

What price loyalty to those that have been going to matches over the difficult years?  We are now being asked to pay a significant amount of money to be in a lottery with those who will just try and jump on the bandwagon because we are in the Premier League! 

Also, how can charging £100 for a home and an away membership be fair, when total priority membership was only £25 last year?   And why on earth are there two memberships?  I could have understood a single membership at £50, or even a combined one at a reduced fee, but to have to get two £50 memberships to join some kind of ticket lottery is just horrendous - especially for families who have to buy multiple memberships. 

Where is the benefit in being a member now anyway?  Because of reduced ticket prices? That is no use when you cannot get a ticket in the first place!  The scheme could easily have recognised ALL those who have gone to matches in recent seasons and given a priority for having been ticket buying supporters, but it looks as if this scheme is only going to encourage those who are interested in seeing the big clubs....in other words those that are more interested in seeing Liverpool or Man Utd than seeing Norwich.  Those of us that are real die hard supporters - whether we are season ticket holders or just go to matches when we can - look like we are being treated very badly.

I am at a loss to understand the reasoning behind this new scheme - or should I say 'schemes' - and to many of us, it looks like a money grabbing exercise and does not offer any loyalty to everyday fans who have followed the club through thick and thin.  It wouldn't matter to me if we were in League 2 - I would still try to get to matches.....but priority is now available to anyone at all, whether they have been to matches recently or not.  

Also, there is a clear callousness in the way this scheme was introduced, just hours before the fixtures were announced. 

I am shocked that the club can so easily risk throwing away the goodwill it has engendered in recent years - and for the first time since membership was introduced I will not be buying one.  I may still get to a game or two if there are any tickets left on general sale, but there has been damage done to the club's relationship with it's fans today and it is upsetting that after such a fantastic season, that the anticipation of the new season has been spoiled by such a badly thought out scheme.

Yours sincerely

• Like 2

Good letter Lakey - lets hope they take note. I won't hold my breath as the board must surely have "signed off" this new scheme but perhaps they did not realise how badly it would go down.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I've written a letter which I am posting this morning (they are going to get a lakey lecture) -

Dear Delia and Michael,

I am writing to you to express my utmost dismay AT the new membership scheme which has left me - and many others, it seems - in no doubt that we are not valued supporters of the club.  The scheme affects nearly everyone who follows the club and has upset so many people, basically ruining a lot of the goodwill that has built up towards the club in recent times.   I am bewildered as to how anyone at the club would think this scheme is in any way sensible, let alone justifiable.  

What price loyalty to those that have been going to matches over the difficult years?  We are now being asked to pay a significant amount of money to be in a lottery with those who will just try and jump on the bandwagon because we are in the Premier League! 

Also, how can charging £100 for a home and an away membership be fair, when total priority membership was only £25 last year?   And why on earth are there two memberships?  I could have understood a single membership at £50, or even a combined one at a reduced fee, but to have to get two £50 memberships to join some kind of ticket lottery is just horrendous - especially for families who have to buy multiple memberships. 

Where is the benefit in being a member now anyway?  Because of reduced ticket prices? That is no use when you cannot get a ticket in the first place!  The scheme could easily have recognised ALL those who have gone to matches in recent seasons and given a priority for having been ticket buying supporters, but it looks as if this scheme is only going to encourage those who are interested in seeing the big clubs....in other words those that are more interested in seeing Liverpool or Man Utd than seeing Norwich.  Those of us that are real die hard supporters - whether we are season ticket holders or just go to matches when we can - look like we are being treated very badly.

I am at a loss to understand the reasoning behind this new scheme - or should I say 'schemes' - and to many of us, it looks like a money grabbing exercise and does not offer any loyalty to everyday fans who have followed the club through thick and thin.  It wouldn't matter to me if we were in League 2 - I would still try to get to matches.....but priority is now available to anyone at all, whether they have been to matches recently or not.  

Also, there is a clear callousness in the way this scheme was introduced, just hours before the fixtures were announced. 

I am shocked that the club can so easily risk throwing away the goodwill it has engendered in recent years - and for the first time since membership was introduced I will not be buying one.  I may still get to a game or two if there are any tickets left on general sale, but there has been damage done to the club's relationship with ITS fans today and it is upsetting that after such a fantastic season, that the anticipation of the new season has been spoiled by such a badly thought out scheme.

Yours sincerely

Excellent Lakey - have corrected a couple of typos (in green) for you. Don't put a stamp on it - that'll teach 'em. And do you need the address?

• Like 1