king canary

New membership scheme

I feel for the exiles and family men above, they've been properly shafted by this. I'm out of work at the moment and struggling to make ends meet, but I've paid for my away membership as one of the 'panic buyers'. It definitely benefits those living in Norfolk over and above exiles and those with family commitments/multiple family members/kids who go to the match.

For the first time in a while, the club has dropped the ball a bit and has a bit of PR spin to do in order to keep the fans on side.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

The news was announced at 6am. Memberships went on sale at 9am. This gave everybody less than 3 hours (or considerably less depending on when you woke up), to process the decision, and possibly panic-buy one. This was really poor form from the club. The schemes should have been announced a lot earlier. It has just been thrust upon Norwich fans.

Yep- I am one of those who bought a premium away one when I saw availability go from 'very good' to 'good' as I didn't want to miss out. 

Sneaking it out at 6am isn't a great look.

My First post, so yes I'm plastic (started supporting city in the mid 70's). Yes I'm a binner also 🙂. No I can't spell or punctuate properly.

With that out of the way, I'm not a fan of the new system. Tho' I shelled out £181.50 yesterday for my son and I to have the privilege of being in some form of lottery for tickets when I saw the availability drop from very good to good. Only to go back to very good later in the day? However, I am fortunate that I work from home so should be able to get in the queue for tickets. Yes in that respect I'm lucky!

To me this is quite simply a money grab by City, pure and simple.

With no (announced) cap on membership sales the club is using this to cover the cost of the £30 tickets at Carrow road, both home and supporters alike. So the supporter, who are classed as 'casual' are footing this bill. I suspect sales are going much better than the club expected, as all the publicity about the scheme will have encouraged other 'casuals' to buy ar miss out completely.

Why was this not announced earlier?

If it had been there would have been time to formally complain to the club, have a REAL consultation, do the club want that ?

I think the club are going to just keep their heads down and wait for the dust to settle on this.

• Like 3

"And the most likely to pay the price? Away season-ticket holders and regular away travellers with over ten games last season. There’s about 750 there, which would drag in £37,500. I can’t believe these people are the main targets of this heist."

From the MFW article 😳

4 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

My First post, so yes I'm plastic (started supporting city in the mid 70's). Yes I'm a binner also 🙂. No I can't spell or punctuate properly.

With that out of the way, I'm not a fan of the new system. Tho' I shelled out £181.50 yesterday for my son and I to have the privilege of being in some form of lottery for tickets when I saw the availability drop from very good to good. Only to go back to very good later in the day? However, I am fortunate that I work from home so should be able to get in the queue for tickets. Yes in that respect I'm lucky!

With no (announced) cap on membership sales the club is using this to cover the cost of the £30 tickets at Carrow road, both home and supporters alike. So the supporter, who are classed as 'casual' are footing this bill. I suspect sales are going much better than the club expected, as all the publicity about the scheme will have encouraged other 'casuals' to buy ar miss out completely.

If it had been there would have been time to formally complain to the club, have a REAL consultation, do the club want that ?

I think the club are going to just keep their heads down and wait for the dust to settle on this.

Welcome Steve, good first post - I agree with all of it, and I suspect many others do too. The area of biggest concern for me is the cap not being announced; therefore we have no way of knowing how much 'priority' our money will buy us.

• Like 1

The problem is also that many exiles and occasional fans will simply invest in Sky subscriptions instead. The club then loses out on such people savouring the experience who might later move to Norwich, get a season ticket, etc...

it is a very rough deal for the occasional 

8 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

"And the most likely to pay the price? Away season-ticket holders and regular away travellers with over ten games last season. There’s about 750 there, which would drag in £37,500. I can’t believe these people are the main targets of this heist."

From the MFW article 😳

I do wonder when all is said and done how much extra this will be worth to the club. Can't be that much in the grand scheme of things.

7 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

Very good points made here, as Feedthewolf says, no cap being announced is what made many panic buy (me included) ... You just couldn't know what your chances were of getting an away ticket

59 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The problem is also that many exiles and occasional fans will simply invest in Sky subscriptions instead. The club then loses out on such people savouring the experience who might later move to Norwich, get a season ticket, etc...

it is a very rough deal for the occasional 

One man’s occasional is another man’s plastic. (I fall very much into the occasional/plastic camp).

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Spurs away is mid week that’ll learn “‘em, won’t sell out

I think it will- London is one of the easier journeys for a mid week away game and there is a fair few Canaries living in and around London.

Welcome SteveN, as a binner no doubt you'll have an opinion about 1p5wich's chances next season,  perhaps you could start a thread. 

I’m one of the fortunate ones who gets to at least ten away games every season so I’m guaranteed away tickets this season. It’s a little annoying that I’ve had to shell out £50 to do so again but football costs a fortune over the season so in the grand scheme of things I can’t really complain too much.

I think families have been well and truly shafted. Does the club seriously expect them to part with possibly hundreds of pounds and without a decent chance of actually getting tickets.

The club should either alter the scheme or at the very least publish the cap on the number of memberships if there is one. At the moment it’s having a bet without knowing the odds.

59 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Welcome SteveN, as a binner no doubt you'll have an opinion about 1p5wich's chances next season,  perhaps you could start a thread. 

No need, relegation

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I’m one of the fortunate ones who gets to at least ten away games every season so I’m guaranteed away tickets this season. It’s a little annoying that I’ve had to shell out £50 to do so again but football costs a fortune over the season so in the grand scheme of things I can’t really complain too much.

I think families have been well and truly shafted. Does the club seriously expect them to part with possibly hundreds of pounds and without a decent chance of actually getting tickets.

The club should either alter the scheme or at the very least publish the cap on the number of memberships if there is one. At the moment it’s having a bet without knowing the odds.

I had a call from Kensell after I emailed to complain. He said no plan for a cap at present but they will consider one if it looks like too many are being bought.

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I had a call from Kensell after I emailed to complain. He said no plan for a cap at present but they will consider one if it looks like too many are being bought.

On the plus side- nice the club is directly reaching out to those with complaints.

On the minus side- if there is no cap what is the availability bit on the website about? I wouldn't have rushed in and bought one yesterday if it hadn't gone down to 'good' from 'very good.'

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

There was 23 away games plus 3 league cup last season....by all accounts anyone who attended 10 or more of these is guaranteed an away ticket next season. 

The thing is it will still cost £50 for that guarantee !

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

On the plus side- nice the club is directly reaching out to those with complaints.

On the minus side- if there is no cap what is the availability bit on the website about? I wouldn't have rushed in and bought one yesterday if it hadn't gone down to 'good' from 'very good.'

snap

40 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I wonder what that means ? All sounds a bit vague. They must have decided a figure before they announced it.

35 minutes ago, king canary said:

Problem is that if they keep this scheme everyone will need a membership anyway so it doesn't matter when you buy it.

I think what has depressed me most is that the supreme confidence I had in our current custodians has vanished. How can competent individuals combine to come up with this absolute joke.

I used to go to plenty of away games but becoming a Dad put paid to that, though I've been a season ticket holder for over two decades. However, in more recent seasons I've always attended between 2-5 away games that I can combine with a trip to see family or friends dotted around the country. My missus, a non-season ticket holder, would come along, as would Uncles or cousins, and we'd leave the little uns with the non-football fan relatives.

Now my boy is well into it, I had every intention of bringing him along. Burnley, Leicester and Villa were my intended trips, due to location of family/having relatives who support them. So I'd have to fork out £150.00 to give me, my wife and my boy the opportunity to get these tickets, knowing that there is a chance I may miss out. So, unless no one wants to go to Burnley or Leicester and there remain some tickets for priority 4 (or is it 5?), I won't be going to an away game this season for the first time in donkeys years.

Massive misjudgment from the club. 

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I think what has depressed me most is that the supreme confidence I had in our current custodians has vanished. How can competent individuals combine to come up with this absolute joke.

I used to go to plenty of away games but becoming a Dad put paid to that, though I've been a season ticket holder for over two decades. However, in more recent seasons I've always attended between 2-5 away games that I can combine with a trip to see family or friends dotted around the country. My missus, a non-season ticket holder, would come along, as would Uncles or cousins, and we'd leave the little uns with the non-football fan relatives.

Now my boy is well into it, I had every intention of bringing him along. Burnley, Leicester and Villa were my intended trips, due to location of family/having relatives who support them. So I'd have to fork out £150.00 to give me, my wife and my boy the opportunity to get these tickets, knowing that there is a chance I may miss out. So, unless no one wants to go to Burnley or Leicester and there remain some tickets for priority 4 (or is it 5?), I won't be going to an away game this season for the first time in donkeys years.

Save yourself £150.00 by getting your relatives to buy the tickets from Burnley, Leicester & Villa, they'll definitely have some available.

27 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Problem is that if they keep this scheme everyone will need a membership anyway so it doesn't matter when you buy it.

Yes, and to have ANY chance it will have to be the 'premier' option as their is only 1500 casual seats available (I think I read that)

19 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Save yourself £150.00 by getting your relatives to buy the tickets from Burnley, Leicester & Villa, they'll definitely have some available.

I'm not spending money to watch Norwich among opposition supporters.

If they were to cap the numbers of premier away members what do people think would be the appropriate level for any cap?

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If they were to cap the numbers of premier away members what do people think would be the appropriate level for any cap?

The whole thing is a complete crock o sh1t Jim. 

But in a answer to your question, I believe a cap should be about 2000. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

The cap will be the number who think the scheme is value for money. Not a vast number I suspect.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm still trying to get my head around all of this Dan. So forgive me if this is wrong but on face value it seems the new scheme gives your family the chance, albeit an expensive chance, of jumping the queue. Where as under the previous rules they would have struggled to get anything bar the scraps.