king canary

New membership scheme

As far as I can see there is one key question that needs answering....is the number of away premier memberships capped??....if so , at 3000?....because if it is that would partially (Bournemouth away aside)..answer and appease most concerns..

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You would already have priority in that case.

Well yes, that wasn't the point though.

I don't count someone who went to every home match and eight away games any more of a casual than someone who went to eight home games and every away game.

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

As far as I can see there is one key question thats needs answering....is the number of away premier memberships capped??....if so , at 3000?....because if if is that would partially (Bournemouth away aside)..answer and appease most concerns..

Yep, that is the key for me. 

3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Be interesting to know at the end of the season how many people have “ got their money back “ by getting tickets 

Nobody will get their money back. We would get the away tickets for £30 as that’s a premier league rule. That should have been a saving for our away fans but the club has decided to take that saving for themselves. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Well yes, that wasn't the point though.

I don't count someone who went to every home match and eight away games any more of a casual than someone who went to eight home games and every away game.

Well they are either a casual home supporter or a casual away supporter. Why should one have any effect on the other? There is no system that everyone is going to agree with. If it affects you adversely you will think it's unfair, others will think differently.

Whatever the club comes up with will not satisfy everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Nobody will get their money back. We would get the away tickets for £30 as that’s a premier league rule. That should have been a saving for our away fans but the club has decided to take that saving for themselves. 

Do away with membership and make it a first come first served.

There is no scheme that satisfies every eventuality. 

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Well they are either a casual home supporter or a casual away supporter. Why should one have any effect on the other? There is no system that everyone is going to agree with. If it affects you adversely you will think it's unfair, others will think differently.

Whatever the club comes up with will not satisfy everyone.

Of course you're never going to satisfy everyone but I'd take a guess that more people were satisfied with the previous system than this one.

For me it felt fair- I am not a season ticket holder, nor did I get to enough away games to justify being front of the queue for the ones that we hugely in demand.

I think rewarding loyalty in football is important- the club is failing to do that with this system.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Maybe not, but there's ways of introducing a new scheme that isn't quite as harsh - drop season ticket 'bonus points' down to a more manageable level so that there's not as much weighting in their favour, or if the argument is that there's too many of those to make that 'fair' then why not scrap the bonuses altogether and allow everyone's away points to continue as before (at 50pts a game, or whatever arbitary unit you choose to use).

Then it's a case of selling on a points basis, start with whatever the minimum number of points that would sell that allocation out in its entirety and drop on a regular basis. Spurs (a) is the ticket this year...if there's 3,000 tickets available and the closest you can cut the data to ensure 3,000 people with points recorded can attend is 1,000 (so 20 games last season) then start with that.

• First tranche: 1,000pts
  • Second tranche: 950pts
  • Third tranche: 900pts
  • Fourth tranche: 850pts
  • Fifth tranche: 800pts

Loyalty's rewarded, and you know that attending matches in a season will count towards the next too...I have a feeling those that have been granted priority access may find it doesn't exist next year, and we'll all find ourselves paying £50 to jump to the front of a queue that's had a monetary fast lane introduced for ludicrous reasons.

That's just the away...the fact those that may well find themselves attending 'casually' home and away need to secure two of these passes (per person!). In a time where football is worrying about ageing attendances and how to best secure the next wave of supporters through the door I just can't see how asking a parent and child for £200 to get them both to the front of home and away queues is the act of a prudent or fan-focussed club!

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

I just can't see how asking a parent and child for £200 to get them both to the front of home and away queues is the act of a prudent or fan-focussed club!

But the £200 only gets them to the front of a queue for a ticket at the lottery (well certainly for the big 6 games unless the numbers in each membership level are capped - haven't heard of that being true).  It therefore doesn't secure anything!  All very LeoVegas!  Like sponsor, so Club?

42 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Do away with membership and make it a first come first served.

Just change the points system so members get the same basic points as season ticket holders and are not at a disadvantage.

thats all they needed to do. Everything else is just about making money. 

15 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Things must be bad when even the ever-loyal Mick Dennis tweets that the club have " scored an own goal " over this :classic_biggrin:

He is too. I've never heard him moan about anything NCFC before. MD has got the right hump.

As Smithy has said if the NCFC Chief Apologist is posting this just maybe it will be looked at again......

image.png.3b529e62db2b511b57df78777ef62f8f.png

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Just change the points system so members get the same basic points as season ticket holders and are not at a disadvantage.

thats all they needed to do. Everything else is just about making money. 

I expect there will always be an element of that and you have to make up your own mind whether the cost outweighs the benefit. In the end it all comes down to money.

One solution would be for no one to buy any of these memberships and then take their chances on a first-come first-served basis.

There was 23 away games plus 3 league cup last season....by all accounts anyone who attended 10 or more of these is guaranteed an away ticket next season. 

If you attended 8 , thats roughly a third of the games , 6 a quarter...is that classed as a regular away traveller?...I'm not sure?....but should probably be put in a higher priority bracket than someone who attended none....but just wants to see Spurs' new ground!?

As a father of three children, who cannot get to every game due to a combination of work commitments, living in Kent and financial consideration- this has just ensured my boys will no longer watch Norwich live. 

We tend to go to three or four games a season- at Carrow road when visiting grandparents and at London when away. I would now need to fork out £400 just to be in the hat for a ticket - disgraceful. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

As a father of three children, who cannot get to every game due to a combination of work commitments, living in Kent and financial consideration- this has just ensured my boys will no longer watch Norwich live. 

We tend to go to three or four games a season- at Carrow road when visiting grandparents and at London when away. I would now need to fork out £400 just to be in the hat for a ticket - disgraceful. 

My dilemma exactly DCB except I'm up north and my lads are grown up. It probably means in total the 4 of us won't be able to get to the fewer away games that we usually would go to. Maybe there will be casual tickets but it feels unlikely. 

I guess this is the price of success. Welcome to the EPL! 

Yet I'm quite sure no-one  is going to miss us! 

.....But it makes me no less a supporter and fan (since I've been following actively for 50 + years).

I do feel sad having looked forward so much like never before to this coming season but I know one can still be a real fan. NCFC takes up far too much of my mind as it is to be really healthy!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Not sure it will have an impact 

maybe you should book St. Andrews hall for a protest meeting? 

It most likely wont have an impact, but makes me feel better, i could have course sit back and do nothing like most people

There is far more demand for tickets than supply especially in the premier league. Market forces is the best method to get to an equilibrium.

yes this will prevent the poorer members of society from attending games but it does increase the average earning per seat at the stadium, therefore allowing the club to sell more merchandise and revenue from hospitality per game.

as we are paupers in the premier league any opportunity to lose the gap should be taken 

18 minutes ago, sonyc said:

My dilemma exactly DCB except I'm up north and my lads are grown up. It probably means in total the 4 of us won't be able to get to the fewer away games that we usually would go to. Maybe there will be casual tickets but it feels unlikely. 

I guess this is the price of success. Welcome to the EPL! 

Yet I'm quite sure no-one  is going to miss us! 

.....But it makes me no less a supporter and fan (since I've been following actively for 50 + years).

I do feel sad having looked forward so much like never before to this coming season but I know one can still be a real fan. NCFC takes up far too much of my mind as it is to be really healthy!

I can very much relate to this. I've not bought a membership for  the first time since it was introduced which leaves me a little sad, but £100 for possibly no return is not on.  I'll take my chance I can get the odd ticket here or there.

PL or no PL, to go from a single membership price of £25 to a double one costing £100 doesn't seem right, on any level.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I can very much relate to this. I've not bought a membership for  the first time since it was introduced which leaves me a little sad, but £100 for possibly no return is not on.  I'll take my chance I can get the odd ticket here or there.

PL or no PL, to go from a single membership price of £25 to a double one costing £100 doesn't seem right, on any level.

I'm in a similar position in that I'd hoped to get to 6 or 7 games this season- 3 or 4 at home, 3 or 4 away if possible. Now if I want to have much of a chance of that I've got to fork out £100. I hadn't even thought about the family aspect for some people who take their kids to occasional games too. 

It's unfortunately one of those decisions that gets worse the more you think about it. The two tier system essentially has been rendered pointless as I've not seen a single person mention buying a standard membership.

A couple of things they could maybe have done to make it work...

1. Made premium memberships £30 each
  2. Keep them at £50 but offer a joint premium one for say £75
  3. Offered family memberships for a similar price- maybe one adult and one kid for £75 or something along those lines

I think the club has been so good in its relationship building with fans of late that they deserve the benefit of the doubt over motivations. There is a sense that they knew this wouldn't go down well though so have released it the day before the fixtures so it gets buried with that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This is true and I have been in this position, having lived abroad... Will an investment in a standard away membership even be worth it? That's what I asked myself yesterday... I mean I have been a City fan all my life . When I lived abroad I could only make it to the odd game in London and a few in Norwich while visiting the family. In those days it was a little bit easier to get tickets , but still... what do lifetime fans that live further away have to do , to get a remote chance of getting to an away game? Spend at least 50 £ on a premier away membership if they can , then 30  £ on the ticket, never mind the journey...

The club will quote "supply and demand", but what sticks in the craw is the two memberships. I would happily have accepted £50 if it had been for all matches, home and away, but this double membership thing is unjustifiable imo.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

The news was announced at 6am. Memberships went on sale at 9am. This gave everybody less than 3 hours (or considerably less depending on when you woke up), to process the decision, and possibly panic-buy one. This was really poor form from the club. The schemes should have been announced a lot earlier. It has just been thrust upon Norwich fans.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo

3 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

The news was announced at 6am. Memberships went on sale at 9am. This gave everybody less than 3 hours (or considerably less depending on when you woke up), to process the decision, and possible panic-buy one. This was really poor form from the club. The schemes should have been announced a lot earlier. It has just been thrust upon Norwich fans.

I agree , mate of mine was early and bought himself the standard one 4 away games. He's got a ST , but doesn't go to away games often as he's got a young family ! Now he feels cheated...

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The club will quote "supply and demand", but what sticks in the craw is the two memberships. I would happily have accepted £50 if it had been for all matches, home and away, but this double membership thing is unjustifiable imo.

I'm fortunate enough that I'm a season-ticket holder, but I have the utmost sympathy for the exiled fans. There will be a limited number of home tickets anyway, and it'll be a mad dash to get any. The £35 membership is completely irrelevant - it will be a struggle to get any in the top tier. Depending on the number of home memberships sold, around 2,000 tickets is not going to be anywhere near enough for demand.

Plus the price for two is £100 - I think they could have created a fairer, combined price. For families of four or five (or more), it's going to be a huge ask.

I've seen so much anger and frustration from local journalists, fans, and the supporter groups - surely the club has go to tweak it a bit to save face?

Edited by Hoola Han Solo