king canary

New membership scheme

2 minutes ago, StewB said:

That's actually a good point.  I think people will complain because "it's always been that way", but (as a ST holder) I think you're right.

In the past, a season ticket was sometimes seen like a "super membership for proper fans", but I agree it's really just a discount on all home games.

SB

I don’t think that’s what people are complaining about, it’s the fact the everyone now has to pay extra for the privilege of applying for away tickets that they may not get, and the priorities are wrong.

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

I don’t think that’s what people are complaining about, it’s the fact the everyone now has to pay extra for the privilege of applying for away tickets that they may not get, and the priorities are wrong.

I think there are two things here; firstly there was the historic notion that home season ticket holders should have priority on away tickets.  If you think about it, why is that the case??  That's the (only) thing I was agreeing with there.

The second point is how they've gone about changing it, and I agree that it's slightly odd.  You pay £50 even as a ST holder and you still might not get any away tickets if the premier level isn't capped.

SB

Bought my Premier Home and Away Membership. I go to more Away games so this is actually quite good for me, doesn't mean I'll get a ticket but at least I have a chance, albeit a slim one. I can see why Season Ticket people are upset though seems very harsh on them especially those that go Home and Away.

Edited by Darth Canary1

So home games are capped at £30, does that mean some may be cheaper or are they all going to be £30 ? . . . 

I pay £560 for my season ticket, so if they are all £30 I am getting a slightly discounted rate & a guaranteed seat, but if some are going to be cheaper there might not be too much of a discount

Edited by Yellow Peril

It feels a bit of a classic 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation.

The away points situation worked- people who went to more games got priority over those just wanting the odd glamour tie. You could argue having a season ticket gave you more points than it should but it needed a tweak maybe, not an overhaul.

Was hoping to take my son to his first game this season (he's just about to turn 7) but it would almost certainly only be one match as we live too far away to go many times and I don't want to pay an extra £50 on the off chance we can get a ticket to a match we may or may not even be able to get to... Oh well, maybe next year or I chance the away membership and target every London match (apart from palace, it's a 5hithole and I've seen us lose too many times there)...

We are northern-based Canaries and get to about 4 away games each year ..what with the cost. I think this new scheme might mean I may not be able to buy any! Unless I'm mistaken. It wouldn't be worth paying for membership for us all then the ticket costs. And if allocations are taken by members then will be far too far down the queue. ☹️

The points system was bad for us last year too as I couldn't get Wigan or Rotherham tickets not having enough points.

That's the trouble with success I suppose. TV is all I may have next year. But I think at least most games will be viewable.

Not a good announcement for me.

And don't talk about Carrow Rd attending. I've not managed to get a ticket in years ....season ticket holder numbers are very high. If they are on general sale it's late on and then you've less time for the pre planning / travel etc.

• Like 1

I'd like to ask what is probably a stupid question: I presume that if I buy Premier Membership then I am entitled to apply for just one away ticket at, say, Watford. Or, will you be allowed to apply for two or more?

Basically, I'm a ST holder and considering getting this to go to a few away games, but want to know whether my mate (also a ST holder) will also need to get membership in order to get an away ticket, or whether we could share one between us?

Edited by Grando

1 minute ago, cornish sam said:

Was hoping to take my son to his first game this season (he's just about to turn 7) but it would almost certainly only be one match as we live too far away to go many times and I don't want to pay an extra £50 on the off chance we can get a ticket to a match we may or may not even be able to get to... Oh well, maybe next year or I chance the away membership and target every London match (apart from palace, it's a 5hithole and I've seen us lose too many times there)...

Posted much the same thing Cornish.

Thinking about it, this is really about going away to the big 6 clubs. The queue jumping casuals won’t be interested in Burnley/Palace or Bournemouth. Not saying that makes it ok but there could still be the chance for people to get to some away matches with just a season ticket. 

Ok here's my thoughts. Before I start my rant I acknowledge that with any system there will be winners and losers and that some will miss out and be disappointed. I also acknowledge that next season supply will be well below demand for most matches. I also am unsure at present which side of the 10 away games line I fall for last season as i've not been able to check my purchase history yet. I also recognise we all have a choice as to whether to buy these memberships 9although football doesn't really work like that) However:

1. The Club has had a loyalty based away points system for several seasons. People have adhered to this and accumulated points accordingly with the legitimate expectation that it will give them future priority. You do not just scrap that system overnight and say to people who would have otherwise been in the top priority category (which people with 1400-1450 points generally were) that they no longer have any priority unless you pay us £50 which gives you the right to take your chances alongside x thousand others who pay £50. You phase the existing system out and bring in a new one gradually.

2.  As far as I can see there will be very, very few fans who are not worse off under this system both financially and in terms of chances of getting tickets. If you are in the 750 group your chances of getting tickets remain exactly the same but you pay an extra £50 for the privilege (for this season only - they don't say if this group will exist after that). The main bulk of our away support have to pay £50 for less chance of getting tickets. I was in the top priority group for away games last season. If I fall just short of the 750 I now have the same priority as anyone who pays £50. In my view there will be more people paying £50 for away membership then there are tickets generally available so that £50 does not even guarantee you tickets to any games.

3. I am also a little annoyed at the junior canaries memberships. I acknowledge that my 6 year old son's membership last season was fantastic value at £20 including 2 free tickets to lower demand games. I expected those free tickets to fall by the wayside with demand being what it is for prem games. But not only has that gone but the membership has gone up to £50 (for less chance of getting some tickets) and if I want to take him to away games (as I did a couple of times last season) then I have to pay £50 for him for an away membership as well. All in all, therefore, as a season ticket holder for 30 years, ex away season ticket holder and someone who has consistently gone to between 8 and 15 away games now for the past 20 years, I believe I am in a position where I am being required/asked to pay an extra £130 if I want to have a chance of attending any away games next season with my son or £50 if I just accept I can't take him. 

4. The £30 away tickets is a red herring. That's a premier ;league rule and nothing to do with the club. The £30 home tickets you could argue is a good gesture but it only applies to 1500-2000 tickets for most games and you could argue that the club realised it would not be good PR to charge home fans more than away fans for the same or in some cases worse seats. The only real beneficiaries of this are home members who attend on a casual basis but the number of seats for these fans is going to be so limited its not really a major benefit.

5. The only real benefit my season ticket now brings me is a guaranteed seat. Not to be sniffed at but financially its no real benefit (about £1 a game) and now gives me no meaningful priority at all for away games either.

6. Announcing this at 6am on the day the memberships go on sale at 9am (and its conveniently leaked we may have spurs away first game) is also cynical and unnecessary. they know people will buy them as they won't want to miss out on being able to go. Its exploitative. They will no doubt cite the fact X thousand have bought them as an example of how they got this right but it won't be - its just an example of how fans are scared to miss out.

So there you go. The thing that really irks is that they did not need to do this. They are doing it at a time where our income has increased massively and gate receipts become less relevant in terms of financial clout. If I genuinely thought it would make a big difference to our ability to compete I may view it differently but it won't. Its just the club cynically trying to make more money at the expense of its most loyal supporters.  The previous system wasn't perfect but it was working fine (except when they didn't use it for games like Rotherham when it was obvious they needed to). The club bangs on about being a2community club" but again its the fans who foot the bill and as always we will swallow it because that's what fans do but I think these new arrangements are very, very disappointing and the club has got it badly wrong. Delia goes on in articles about how the fans should come first and fans are treated badly and then the club come out with something like this.

33 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

there isn't a cap on Premier level membership, it really will be a lottery win if you get a ticket at all.  Interesting times .......

Life is a lottery.

Demand will always exceed supply if we do well in the PL. For away games it gives everyone the chance to get a ticket and that is encouraging for many who wouldn't nornally have the chance to see us play. 750 who attend the most away games will be rewarded and I assume the club reached that figure because they looked at the figures and saw that 750 was about right for those who attend  every away game. 

Edited by lake district canary

Yep, FOMO, FOMO, FOMO and the storm dissipates.  Until a large body of fans never win the ticket lottery and are stuck with potentially a £100 hole in their bank balance for nowt. 

Also will the club stick to a consistent release day for instance for ticket sales, both home and away?  It used to always be Thursday, but Rotherham last season being released on a Saturday certainly caught a lot out (on top of the points debacle).  Will the release date be moved as consistently as the fixtures will be by Sky?

I thought the old system worked well. I was happy in the knowledge that someone who attended more away games than me had priority over tickets - it was fair. However, I'm not happy that someone who has attended far less away games than me can pay £50 to get ahead of me in the queue.

I see that Premier Away membership availability status has gone down from "Very good" to just "good", whereas standard membership is sill "very good".  I guess this (re)prompts the question; is there a cap on the number of premier away memberships?

Oh and it seems you do get something else for your £50; a scarf and a flag 🙂

SB

Isn't this situation just typical. My son and I, who have been season-ticket holders for 12 years plus, went to NINE away games.It would have been 10 if the club hadn't messed up over ticket allocation for Rotherham. That means we, like many other supporters in the same boat, will have to pay £100 extra just to get a chance of a high profile game along with "Joe Bloggs" who hasn't been to a game for years.

I wonder how many of these fans that will benefit from these changes would have considered going to Hull on a wet November evening or Blackburn on a cold Saturday before Christmas as we did?

• Like 1

Protest placards and boards against this away ticket revamp thingy are being hurriedly assembled by me personally as we speak, and due to the personal cost of materials I'm only charging £4.50 a placard, £2.50 a protest board and £3.00 for a plastic whistle..... At 11.30 am prompt tomorrow, (and as I also wanna squeeze in a cheapish full English brekky and unlimited coffee before the protest as it's gonna be a long day) we should all congregate/meet outside of the Queen of the Ikea.....err, Queen of the Iberia.....err, Queen of the Iseeyah.....err, Queen of the no Idea.....err, y'know.....that old Lloyd's Spoons pub on Riverside.........Oh, an' plze bring a brolly, as I think it's gonna rain, and plze use the pub toilet before we set off...... 

Then we'll all stride down to the Ground NCFC ticket office with gusto and peacefully (but not a sit down protest as it'll play havoc with my piles) and really air vociferously our discontent at the unfair away support ticket revamp......I'll bring the refreshments as well, as I have quite an exceptionally large cooler box....It'll be £1.50 a can of pop and a £1.50 for choccy bars, oh, and there'll be some crisps (sorry only cheese and onion) which are £1.50 a packet as well. If the weather is shoite and you ain't got a brolly,  I'll be flogging good quality disposable plastic ponchos for £4.50 each .......My takings for my organised protest should then hopefully cover the £50.00 the club want for the away ticket revamp and the rest will pay for my late lunch and a shedload of ale and spirits for my lovely self including a mixed kebab (mit garlic sauce) for supper, and plenty o' money left over for a good session in a 'reputable' Lappy dance club on Price of Ales Road.....Whatever dosh is left will hopefully cover the cost of my taxi home.....See you all there tomorrow......Viva the revolution, you true disgruntled fans......OTBC.......

9 minutes ago, StewB said:

I see that Premier Away membership availability status has gone down from "Very good" to just "good", whereas standard membership is sill "very good".  I guess this (re)prompts the question; is there a cap on the number of premier away memberships?

Oh and it seems you do get something else for your £50; a scarf and a flag 🙂

SB

Having seen this about availability I've jumped in and bought my Premier away membership.

Premier league has its pull so I can see why the club has made these changes. 30 quid a game is cheaper than some of the home games last season when we where right up there. If people want to guarantee their away tickets who didn't go to many games last year they should suck it up and pay the £50, I know people who paid over 5p quid to go to old Trafford a few years ago, itll soon break even for a lot of people. Also more money goes towards the club and can help bring the next max aarons, Jamal Lewis, Ben godfrey to us at a young age.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The cost will soon be covered once you have been to a few games at £30.

Sorry but that argument is rubbish. The Premier League has capped away ticket prices at £30 for a few seasons now. The fans would have had that saving anyway so it is still an extra £50

I managed earlier today to get Premier membership  on line even though I did less than 10 away games last year. It seems as though the system did not check my eligibility but I am not complaining. I may be missing something here but I do not think Premier membership is open to all otherwise what’s the point.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

We are northern-based Canaries and get to about 4 away games each year ..what with the cost. I think this new scheme might mean I may not be able to buy any!

If you only do Northern games, there could be others who only wish to do the local Southern games.

Just bought my £50 away membership....just fall short of the 10 away games last season, so next season it'll be a game of fastest finger on the button on the day away premier membership tickets become available for me!

I see now I missed the fact that there was a priority window so even amongst Premier members outside this group it will be a scramble for tickets for top away games.

18 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

I managed earlier today to get Premier membership  on line even though I did less than 10 away games last year. It seems as though the system did not check my eligibility but I am not complaining. I may be missing something here but I do not think Premier membership is open to all otherwise what’s the point.

It is open to all. there is no eligibility criteria. Those who went to 10 games or more and also take out this membership (up to 750 fans apparently) get an additional level of priority.