Rhino1

Max Arrons will he or won’t he?

Rumour mill trundles on, Crystal Palace for Max now? I think that’s about 10 current premier league teams interested. Why would he move toPalace ( apart from the money!) they are no bigger club than us. Man Utd also interested that may tempt him. I say unless the number starts with a 40m Webber should not even pick up the phone. Thoughts? 

If Palace got close to the £60m they want for Wan Bissaka then they might see a £30m investment in Aarons as very good and sensible business.

Not that i'd want him to go this season, even for that amount.

5 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

Rumour mill trundles on, Crystal Palace for Max now? I think that’s about 10 current premier league teams interested. Why would he move toPalace ( apart from the money!) they are no bigger club than us. Man Utd also interested that may tempt him. I say unless the number starts with a 40m Webber should not even pick up the phone. Thoughts? 

Why would he move to Palace? Because they're an established Premier League club. 

I doubt any of our youngsters will leave this summer, it’ll be next year if we fail to survive. Max seems to have a level head (now he’s sobered up!), I’m sure he’ll see the bigger picture and stay as our unquestioned first choice

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Why would he move to Palace? Because they're an established Premier League club. 

Not to take away from your point, but there's an interesting debate around what established means these days. It more and more looks like a team really isnt truly established unless theyre finishing top half season after season. You look at teams like palace, swansea, soton, stoke, wba, wigan, west ham, villa, newcastle, even us to a lesser extent- all of whom within the last decade could be called established, and all of which have had serious troubles staying up there, most of them have eventually failed at that

I can't see him leaving for Palace.

We can easily make the case to give us a season at Premier League level and if we go down he'll still be easily able to get a move to a Palace level team. 

We don't need the money so a team like that would have to offer a silly figure to make it worthwhile (I'm talking north of £30m).

20 minutes ago, Redders Right Foot said:

Not to take away from your point, but there's an interesting debate around what established means these days. It more and more looks like a team really isnt truly established unless theyre finishing top half season after season. You look at teams like palace, swansea, soton, stoke, wba, wigan, west ham, villa, newcastle, even us to a lesser extent- all of whom within the last decade could be called established, and all of which have had serious troubles staying up there, most of them have eventually failed at that

I see what you're trying to say, but even finishing in the top half for a few years doesn't make you completely safe. Stoke achieved three consecutive 9th place finishes and got relegated two years later, for example.

But between us and Palace, they're clearly more established right now. They've had six years in the Premier League, they have a squad full of proven Premier League players, they have a bigger budget, bigger reputation and they're far more likely to stay up this season than we are.

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But between us and Palace, they're clearly more established right now. They've had six years in the Premier League, they have a squad full of proven Premier League players, they have a bigger budget, bigger reputation and they're far more likely to stay up this season than we are.

All good reasons not to sell them your best players.

It makes no sense to sell players to clubs you will realistically be in competition with.

• Like 2

Just now, ricardo said:

All good reasons not to sell them your best players.

It makes no sense to sell players to clubs you will realistically be in competition with.

I understand the logic, but if we had the choice of selling Aarons to either Palace or Man Utd for the same price (let's say, for example, £30m) then it wouldn't really matter. If we sold him to Utd, then Palace would probably spend the same money on a different quality right-back anyway, so we've lost Aarons for £30m and Palace have gained an excellent right-back for £30m. Whether or not Palace's new right-back happens to be Aarons or AN Other, not a lot changes.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I understand the logic, but if we had the choice of selling Aarons to either Palace or Man Utd for the same price (let's say, for example, £30m) then it wouldn't really matter. If we sold him to Utd, then Palace would probably spend the same money on a different quality right-back anyway, so we've lost Aarons for £30m and Palace have gained an excellent right-back for £30m. Whether or not Palace's new right-back happens to be Aarons or AN Other, not a lot changes.

I assume that A N Other will be their second, third or even fourth choice, so will they be as good as Max?.........

31 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I see what you're trying to say, but even finishing in the top half for a few years doesn't make you completely safe. Stoke achieved three consecutive 9th place finishes and got relegated two years later, for example.

I think to be honest the difference isn't great enough that Max would feel the need to force the move. If Palace offer silly money and we accept then he may well go. However if they don't I don't think a move to Palace holds enough interest to turn his head and take away our leverage.

16 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I assume that A N Other will be their second, third or even fourth choice, so will they be as good as Max?.........

Probably, if they spend £30m. £30m goes a lot further on the continent, remember.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think to be honest the difference isn't great enough that Max would feel the need to force the move. If Palace offer silly money and we accept then he may well go. However if they don't I don't think a move to Palace holds enough interest to turn his head and take away our leverage.

I'd agree with that. Palace would be a step up right now, but not enough of a step up for Aarons to throw his toys out of the pram. However, if Palace sell Wan-Bissaka for £50-60m and we can persuade them to offer £30-35m for Aarons, I'd probably take it.

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

A lot of chatter on a United fans forum about the boy(s) Max and Ben. This in addition to the Pal **** link to the former but links to BOTH from Man Ure. There was talk a few weeks back about Ferdinand muscling in and attempting to 'unsettle' Ben (as he did previously with both Murphy's allegedly). Mind you now those two have been dumped back into the Chumpionship perhaps our boys will take any 'promises' from Ferdinand with a high dosage of salt.

The rumours of a purchase with a one season loan back look to be favorites up North. Lets hope we rebuff any bids and retain the lads for at least another season.  

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/max-aarons.448258/page-2

We're only allowed two loans and we've already got Roberts, so that could only be with one of the other. I wouldn't like the idea of using up the other loan in this way either, so I'd prefer to hold on and sell permanently at a later date.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

No such thing for clubs of ours and Palace’s size. Were  West Brom an established PL club? A move to Palace would be a pretty much sideways step

Edited by JF
  • Like 1

I do wonder if some premier league clubs are under the belief that our star players can be picked up on the relative cheap. I'd be very interested to see what offers (if they do) come in for Max Aarons.

Palace obviously believe that they will be able to take Aarons off our hands, but at what price are they willing to go to?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You've forgotten that if Palace buy someone else then we still have Max. We have no control of who other clubs buy but we can prevent them strengthening at our expense.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If an annual relegation flirt counts as established then I suppose they are. 

Aarons will undoubtedly go at some point but unless he’s desperate to move back to the London area he can do a lot better than Palace

The only way Aaron’s will be leaving in  this window is if a Man U or Spurs bid comes in. Why the hell would we sell to a Palace or their like? And equally why would he make such a sideways move when one more quality season here gets him a massive move. 

Even if Palace get silly money for Wan Bissaka I doubt they'd be willing to spend even half of it on Aarons. Apart from getting stiffed by Liverpool for Benteke and Sakho, the most they seem to spend seems to be in £8-14m bracket and I doubt we'd let him go for that.

Underlines how Leicester got Maddison on the cheap with figures of 25M + being touted for Aarons. If he’d played in last season’s promotion team and Norwich didn’t have to sell what would the bidding of been for James now ? 

Anyone who thinks Norwich to Palace isn't a step forward is wearing yellow and green tinted glasses, methinks. I don't think Palace are a big enough club to make one of our players force a move, luckily, but given the choice, I'm sure nearly all players would choose Palace over us right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

A lot of chatter on a United fans forum about the boy(s) Max and Ben. This in addition to the Pal **** link to the former but links to BOTH from Man Ure. There was talk a few weeks back about Ferdinand muscling in and attempting to 'unsettle' Ben (as he did previously with both Murphy's allegedly). Mind you now those two have been dumped back into the Chumpionship perhaps our boys will take any 'promises' from Ferdinand with a high dosage of salt.

The rumours of a purchase with a one season loan back look to be favorites up North. Lets hope we rebuff any bids and retain the lads for at least another season.  

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/max-aarons.448258/page-2

I thought premiership clubs weren't allowed to loan a player to another premiership club in the same window they bought him, which would rule out a loan back agreement...

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Anyone who thinks Norwich to Palace isn't a step forward is wearing yellow and green tinted glasses, methinks. I don't think Palace are a big enough club to make one of our players force a move, luckily, but given the choice, I'm sure nearly all players would choose Palace over us right now.

I am equally sure that most of our players will recognise when they are on to a good thing where they are.

To go to any big club, they will not be guaranteed much first team football, so they will not necessarily be tempted there. Money could turn their heads from a lesser but richer than us kind of club, like Palace, but are many of the clubs outside the top six in any better position than we will be next season in terms of quality of coaching/togetherness/fitness/ability/confidence/momentum......

No. Keep this squad together and we could be a real force next season - and the chance for Max/Ben/Jamal etc to get a whole season at first team level in the PL with us is something that should keep them here.

• Like 1

Unfortunately though, if a club with big money (transfer fee and salary), comes in, it’ll be very difficult for both club and player to refuse it.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I am equally sure that most of our players will recognise when they are on to a good thing where they are.

To go to any big club, they will not be guaranteed much first team football, so they will not necessarily be tempted there. Money could turn their heads from a lesser but richer than us kind of club, like Palace, but are many of the clubs outside the top six in any better position than we will be next season in terms of quality of coaching/togetherness/fitness/ability/confidence/momentum......

No. Keep this squad together and we could be a real force next season - and the chance for Max/Ben/Jamal etc to get a whole season at first team level in the PL with us is something that should keep them here.

Yep, I agree with that, hence why I said that Palace aren't a big enough club to make one of our players force a move but if a bid was accepted, they'd go. And if Norwich and Palace were, hypothetically, competing for a player then we'd lose out nearly every time, I fear.

In my time watching football, Crystal Palace have never been a ‘bigger’ club than us. It wasn’t that long ago we both got promoted and relegated together. They are no different than any of the other contenders in the lower half of the Premier League and upper half of the championship that rotate to make up the Premier League numbers. They, like us will be a championship team again, sooner than later. You can probably add at least 15 other teams in that category. So no yellow tinted specs here, Aaron’s to Palace is a sideways move at best and won’t happen.

6 midtable Premier League finishes in a row puts them above us at this moment in time though. Much stronger financially.

Don't really see Aarons or any of our other stars leaving this summer but at least if one does we're in a great bargaining position and a great place to replace them.

11 minutes ago, JF said:

In my time watching football, Crystal Palace have never been a ‘bigger’ club than us. It wasn’t that long ago we both got promoted and relegated together. They are no different than any of the other contenders in the lower half of the Premier League and upper half of the championship that rotate to make up the Premier League numbers. They, like us will be a championship team again, sooner than later. You can probably add at least 15 other teams in that category. So no yellow tinted specs here, Aaron’s to Palace is a sideways move at best and won’t happen.

In the grand of scheme of things, you're right: Palace are no bigger than us. I never said they were.

What I said was that they're more established than us, and that at this moment in time they'd be a step forward. This is because next year will be their seventh consecutive year in the Premier League whereas we'll be playing in our first, they have bigger name players than us who are mostly established Premier League players and they have a bigger budget. Also, we are generally regarded to be far more likely to be relegated in the eyes of the experts, pundits, betting companies... Everyone, basically.