Fiery Zac

Women’s World Cup

Don't understand why people are so eager to run down women's football. As soon as the subject comes up, someone has to point out that it's not as good as the men's game, or make hilarious comments about players' appearance /sexuality etc.

Obviously it's a minority sport at the moment, and doesn't attract the interest the men's game does, but plenty enjoy playing and watching it. If you don't, fine, but why so keen to do it down? It doesn't stop you watching men's football.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Don't understand why people are so eager to run down women's football. As soon as the subject comes up, someone has to point out that it's not as good as the men's game, or make hilarious comments about players' appearance /sexuality etc.

Obviously it's a minority sport at the moment, and doesn't attract the interest the men's game does, but plenty enjoy playing and watching it. If you don't, fine, but why so keen to do it down? It doesn't stop you watching men's football.

Exactly. Better than I could have summarised it. Unfortunately I think there's a few on this thread still stuck in the 60s or 70s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Exactly. Better than I could have summarised it. Unfortunately I think there's a few on this thread still stuck in the 60s or 70s.

Yeah, the 1860s 🙄

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

Yeah, the 1860s 🙄

Indeed. If this thread had been about men's football, and there had been a picture of Tim Krul in his pants, it would've been absolutely bizarre. Women should get the same respect when talking about the game.

16 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Spot on.

I'm also of the opinion that putting this in prime time is exactly the sort of thing a public service broadcaster should be doing. 6m viewers for England v Scotland is a great figure.

Talking of the difference in quality, I wonder if people think back to the technical level of the 70s in the men's game, do they think it was as high as it is now? There may have been some exceptionally gifted players-Best, Cruyff, etc-but also a lot of players of lesser ability. Male footballers have developed through better coaching at all levels, and more attention to detail in every aspect of the game-tactics,  diet, discipline etc

As has already been pointed out earlier, the quality in the women's game is improving and will continue to improve. Will it ever be the same as men's football? I very much doubt it-but enjoy it for what it is.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

No problem with women playing football, or anything else for that matter. And if one of my little granddaughters ever got good enough to play seriously I'd be supporting them all the way - but I wouldn't expect anyone else to be at all interested.

What annoys me is the fact is the way it's presented, & the fact it's being subsidised by those of us who have no interest in it whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

No problem with women playing football, or anything else for that matter

How big of you.

What annoys me is the fact is the way it's presented

Which is?

the fact it's being subsidised by those of us who have no interest in it whatsoever.

How are you subsidizing it?

Also, don't forget that women's football was banned for 50 years by the FA, with the ban only being lifted in 1970.

13 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

What annoys me is the fact is the way it's presented,

Like a lot of media, everything is hyped up, and praise for average skill is presented as being brilliant. Not a knock on the players, it’s still an entertaining match to watch, but please drop the cringeworthy praise when a shot in on target or a goalkeeper falls on the ball. 

The players deserve better than that, and they don’t do that for coverage of the WNBA for example or tennis, both of which are genuinely skillful. So hopefully it’s a phase that will pass.

Well, even in men's football there are different levels aren't there? You assess the quality within its context. You don't judge a Conference South game by the same criteria as a Prem game.

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

How big of you.

Not really

Which is?

As a bunch of hyper-skilled, all powerful Amazons who could probably outperform Messi, Sala & De Bruyne rolled into one.

Oh, & harder than Vinnie Jones in his prime. Did you see the pre Scotland match photos of the players? it's pathetic.

How are you subsidizing it?

Through the tv licence apart from anything else. Then there's stuff like this:

https://www.fsif.co.uk/funding/womens-fa-national-league-system/

This Guardian comment is interesting too:

A big problem for the WSL is that the bulk of club incomes comes from commercial deals or sponsorship, dwarfing match-day revenues. A colossal 70.3% of Manchester City’s turnover is commercial, compared with 9.4% in match-day income. For Liverpool, the figures are 81.8% and 1.3%; Birmingham’s stand at 77% and 4.8%.

Low and falling attendances pose two problems. First, cripplingly low crowds hold down match-day revenue, which should be one of a club’s biggest financial assets and, second, sponsors and commercial partners will stay interested only if the audience keeps growing. Partners seem willing to bank on the potential of the sport but that will not last forever.

10 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Well, even in men's football there are different levels aren't there? You assess the quality within its context. You don't judge a Conference South game by the same criteria as a Prem game.

But I wouldn't watch a Conference South game even if it was on the telly, even though I would probably find it more watchable than the women's cup final.

16 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

True I’m also watching from US where the hype level may be at another level compared to UK coverage. There is a lot more space compared to men’s football and that should lead to a decent passing game (it seems to) but a lot of the shots on goal have been awful. Followed by massive praise for a world class strike... or save: IMO that isn’t doing anyone any favours. 

Edited by Surfer

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

But I wouldn't watch a Conference South game even if it was on the telly, even though I would probably find it more watchable than the women's cup final.

Interesting stuff, are there other TV shows you wouldn't watch?

3 minutes ago, Surfer said:

True I’m also watching from US where the hype level may be at another level compared to UK coverage. There is a lot more space compared to men’s football and that should lead to a decent passing game (it seems to) but a lot of the shots on goal have been awful. Followed by massive praise for a world class strike... or save: IMO that isn’t doing anyone any favours. 

What is the negative impact?

Just now, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Interesting stuff, are there other TV shows you wouldn't watch?

Hundreds. But they're usually on because a lot of other people watch them. I don't think that's true of Conference South football.

Just now, ron obvious said:

Hundreds. But they're usually on because a lot of other people watch them. I don't think that's true of Conference South football.

6.1m people watched England v Scotland yesterday. I think that is enough to justify it being on TV. 

16 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

As a bunch of hyper-skilled, all powerful Amazons who could probably outperform Messi, Sala & De Bruyne rolled into one.

Oh, & harder than Vinnie Jones in his prime. Did you see the pre Scotland match photos of the players? it's pathetic.

This feels like it is a bit in your head. From what I've seen they've treated it as the pinnacle of the women's game- which it is.

20 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Through the tv licence apart from anything else.

Well then we're all subsidising stuff we're not interested in. I, for example, have no interest in the 'Goodwood Festival of Speed' yet apparently the BBC show it. 

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well then we're all subsidising stuff we're not interested in. I, for example, have no interest in the 'Goodwood Festival of Speed' yet apparently the BBC show it. 

Why not? It’s great-although better in real life 🏎🏍

36 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

What is the negative impact?

Well this is a sport - and many will enjoy watching it for what it is - but for TV it’s a branding exercise. You initially want exposure, but after that you want to make sure that you represent what the product really is, not over hype it, or you won’t be able to grow the audience to what it should be. Many in the potential audience are smarter than you may give them credit for, and once suckered in and seeing with their own eyes what it really is and still hearing the breathless hyped coverage they may then decide not to tune in again. 

So a balancing act for sure, but that is what I mean when I say the players don’t deserve this kind of hyped up coverage (maybe it’s US only) because ultimately it will limit their potential. 

(WTA &’WNBA seem to have worked this out)

Jesus guys.  The women's game is not as "physical" as the men's, same as athletic track records for women are not as fast as for men.  But that does not mean its any less exciting or skilful, just different.  If you can't take your blinkers off that's your problem, you don't have to watch, and if you want to make a **** of yourself with the drivel some of you are posting above, so be it.  I just find it very disappointing on a Norwich message board. 

Perhaps if NCFC Ladies were in WSL 1 it might be different?  Is it envy of the likes of Reading for instance?

2 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Indeed. If this thread had been about men's football, and there had been a picture of Tim Krul in his pants, it would've been absolutely bizarre. Women should get the same respect when talking about the game.

image.png.7fe286863afdcd6ce1918cd2b9f14b2b.png

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Looks like Russ has got a spare pair stashed away

I think the PC brigade will be outraged that you have mentioned the size of his gentleman’s sausage