Fiery Zac

Women’s World Cup

But how can this be streamlined if the ball is still live?

I can see situations of referees giving penalties that quite obviously are not 'just in case' and than changing their minds after consulting the VAR. At least this would mean the game would not have a decision given a minute or two after the offence.

This is going to change the game as we know it. Is it really that bad?

6 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

But how can this be streamlined if the ball is still live?

I can see situations of referees giving penalties that quite obviously are not 'just in case' and than changing their minds after consulting the VAR. At least this would mean the game would not have a decision given a minute or two after the offence.

This is going to change the game as we know it. Is it really that bad?

In my example, the ball was only live for 60 seconds or so after the foul. It then took another three or four minutes after that to award the penalty. That's something that can be streamlined.

With offsides, the linesmen are told not to flag of there's any doubt and the ball is in a dangerous area, which I suppose is fairly obvious. Play can always be brought back, but it can't be restarted. With penalties, I guess it's less clear cut, but I'd probably rather the ref didn't give a penalty if he's not sure, because the VAR can check it straight away and then stop the game even when the ball is live if it's a clear penalty (Peru v Denmark in the World Cup last year is a good example).

Steph Houghton now a doubt for tomorrow’s game with Norway, due to that horror tackle from Cameroon. 

VAR needs a bit of humour... when they pan to the VAR booth or the ref runs over to the screen, it should be accompanied by 'The Muppet Show' music!!!!!!!     

It's not the beautiful game anymore - except in Norfolk of course!    It's a farce and so is the handball rule.    It was fine for the past 100 yrs when a handball was 'DELIBERATE', someone suggests unnatural positions and now it's ridiculous and just plain unfair!     What's more unnatural than putting both arms behind your back for crying out loud!    

A what about enough contact to cause a player to lose balance.   USA had two pens yesterday, both times they got touched, ran a few yards then fell over!!!!     As someone said, the ref's are incompetent, never played the game and just don't understand it.     

Edited by ged in the onion bag

I've not watched any of the games but I have been reading this with interest and it's clear to me, much as I predicted, that there will remain, plenty of scope for the Big Clubs to get their usual quota of favourable decisions. It's all about the money honey. 

• Like 1

Shocking passing again. Hopefully it will get better as the game progresses, however I suspect what we see is what it is. 

Yep, there has been too many passes behind the forward, attacking runner, halting any advantage, or misplaced final ball. Scoreline seems fair at half time.

It's going to be interesting to see who deals with the high temperature in Paris tonight. It may be the Americans given how many US cities are at least that hot in the Summer. Still, I hope the French team performs well, if they do I think they will win. Then England v France in the Semi's....

10 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

France v USA   Are the two best teams in the competition , the winner of this match will win the tournament.

I don't buy that. The US only made the quarter final thanks to very charitable refereeing. And arguably only made the semi with some similar help from the officials when the referee, and presumably VAR lot, decided to revert to the old handball rules and deny France what would have been a clear penalty earlier in the tournament. 

They were both the pre-tournament favourites, yes, but best two teams based on the tournament so far? I suspect us, Germany and the Dutch might have something to say about that. 

• Like 1

If the Dutch don't come away with a victory after the start to this second half I would be shocked. Controlling every facet of this match.

🌷🌷 🇭🇺 - 🇮🇹     Good game, a deserved win for the Oranje there... 

More VAR controversy.

A clear foul in the build up to Sweden’s 2nd.

A GK punching a player in the head...yes they were offside but is that not still a foul?

I’m not at all disappointed to see Germany lose any football match but they can consider themselves very unfortunate to have been 2-1 down and then not to get a pen 

Edited by Fiery Zac

4 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

A GK punching a player in the head...yes they were offside but is that not still a foul?

Didn't watch but as long as it wasn't violent conduct I wouldn't assume it was a foul. Remember the Klose red card thing?

26 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Didn't watch but as long as it wasn't violent conduct I wouldn't assume it was a foul. Remember the Klose red card thing?

Yeh the explanation was that the offside occurred first so therefore the foul was irrelevant. Fair enough.

The foul in the build up is more confusing as it was looked at by VAR but not even referred back for the referee to review. A clear foul that gave Sweden possession that they then scored from.....hmmm

I thought technology was going to stop the controversy in football. It has increased it because what was once contestible because the ref didn't have a second chance has now become laughable because they are getting it wrong when they have several looks.

It is no good saying it is in its infancy. It should work properly from the off. But as most is still down to opinion apart from goal line technology, then all it has done is delay the game.

Many of us thought the daft floodlight problem at the Derby match stopped our momentum and saw us lose. Whatever is going to happen if the same wrong decisions get made at Anfield?

35 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Whatever is going to happen if the same wrong decisions get made at Anfield?

I’m sure the Liverpool players will get over it.

• Haha 1

Wonder how much BBC are paying Alex Scott to pundit on a live game?  Obviously not £1.7 m + £466,000 that the blokes get for punditry on BBC that's already happened 6 hours ago ..... Lol! 

Sorry, not quite true, live punditry happens.......like Forest Green Rovers vs Aldershot Town 😁

After the usual high percentage of horrible passes, I have to say that was a very good goal ! 

• Thanks 1