Fiery Zac

Women’s World Cup

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

It might be a good idea if the club announces a new signing today 😁

You can always distract yourself with some women's football- 3 games today after all...

11 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Can we move on to women's beach volleyball now please?

Careful now Broadstairs or you will be classified as a pervert trapped in the 70's making sexist comments who yells at clouds for good measure.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Careful now Broadstairs or you will be classified as a pervert trapped in the 70's making sexist comments who yells at clouds for good measure.

91sn32Q.jpg

Further to what I said previously about the presentation of the women's game, I feel much the same about the men's game, & many other sports as well. It's the ridiculous hype, the cartoonisation & infantilisation involved that drives me bonkers. I avoid it as much as possible but it's difficult to get away from. The days of understatement & rationality are long gone.

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

Have the feminists made it illegal not to watch women's football yet?

Yes they have. I can only assume you are sending this from hiding as you dodge the police looking to arrest you for not watching New Zealand v Netherlands right now, you brave freedom fighter you.

• Haha 1

Hope was a very good footballer and she's also pretty fit. Is that the right answer?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Further to what I said previously about the presentation of the women's game, I feel much the same about the men's game, & many other sports as well. It's the ridiculous hype, the cartoonisation & infantilisation involved that drives me bonkers........

........ The days of understatement & rationality are long gone.

👍 

That said, this NZ v Holland game has to be the best game so far. Focus on attacking, good skills, amazing it's still 0-0 at 60 min. 

I don't think anyone could deny the pretty big jump in standards in Women's football compared to what it was a few years ago, even.

Part of the problem, for me, is this desperation to try and 'equal' it to the Men's game. That comes from both the public and the media but as always the media can sway opinion - and I don't think it's doing the right job of promoting the game at the moment.

It should be seen as something separate from Men's football and then I think it can become better. I like what Emma Hayes had to say:

"There is often a criticism about goalkeeping in the women's game, I would argue that the goal is just a little bit too big, if it was built around our physical differences then we would be talking about great goalkeepers as opposed to exposing them. 

"Rather than mirror everything we take from the men's game, we have to adapt it to our own sport and our own physical expectations as well as the tactical implications.

"It's the mind-set that has to change, and once it starts to change, there is a realisation that the sport has its own differences because, more often than not, everyone coming into our game is coming from the men's game or other sports."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

👍 

That said, this NZ v Holland game has to be the best game so far. Focus on attacking, good skills, amazing it's still 0-0 at 60 min. 

Keeper's keeping them out well - another cliché about the women's game blown?

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't think anyone could deny the pretty big jump in standards in Women's football compared to what it was a few years ago, even.

Part of the problem, for me, is this desperation to try and 'equal' it to the Men's game. That comes from both the public and the media but as always the media can sway opinion - and I don't think it's doing the right job of promoting the game at the moment.

It should be seen as something separate from Men's football and then I think it can become better. I like what Emma Hayes had to say:

"There is often a criticism about goalkeeping in the women's game, I would argue that the goal is just a little bit too big, if it was built around our physical differences then we would be talking about great goalkeepers as opposed to exposing them. 

"Rather than mirror everything we take from the men's game, we have to adapt it to our own sport and our own physical expectations as well as the tactical implications.

"It's the mind-set that has to change, and once it starts to change, there is a realisation that the sport has its own differences because, more often than not, everyone coming into our game is coming from the men's game or other sports."

That's the most sensible thing I've read on here.

The problem is there's a feminist ideology that says women's abilities are no different to men. No amount of evidence to the contrary will persuade them otherwise. So it's adherents are stuck with the ridiculous hype & propaganda instead of accepting that women's football will be played in a different way to the men's game (as are any other games).

I still won't watch it though.

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

The problem is there's a feminist ideology that says women's abilities are no different to men. No amount of evidence to the contrary will persuade them otherwise. So it's adherents are stuck with the ridiculous hype & propaganda instead of accepting that women's football will be played in a different way to the men's game (as are any other games).

I still won't watch it though.

Don’t think it has anything to do with ideology. Mostly to do with the fact that women’s teams are often secondary to men’s and don’t have their own specific facilities. 

It would make it significantly hardly to find pitches to play on for women’s teams if they needed different dimensions or different sized goals etc. 

It is based in practicality rather than ideology. 

There is a debate on the size of goals in women’s football with players and pundits falling either side of the argument. Unsurprisingly it seems to be attacking players like bigger goals and defenders like smaller ones. 

As for whether you are watching or not - who cares? 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Don’t think it has anything to do with ideology. Mostly to do with the fact that women’s teams are often secondary to men’s and don’t have their own specific facilities. 

It would make it significantly hardly to find pitches to play on for women’s teams if they needed different dimensions or different sized goals etc. 

It is based in practicality rather than ideology. 

There is a debate on the size of goals in women’s football with players and pundits falling either side of the argument. Unsurprisingly it seems to be attacking players like bigger goals and defenders like smaller ones. 

As for whether you are watching or not - who cares? 

I think the drive for women's football has everything to do with ideology.

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I still won't watch it though

I presume you have some evidence of that

50 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think the drive for women's football has everything to do with ideology.

For someone who has no interest in women’s football you seem to know a lot about it. 

Having covered a couple of world cups and olympics I can’t personally say I’ve seen any ideology ‘driving’ women’s football, apart from those that drive all professional sort. 

The athletes desire to win, their desire to be the best they can possibly be and to represent their country or club with pride. There are of course the sponsors who want to use the sport to sell their products - but that is no different to other professional sports. 

The idea that women’s football is becoming more popular due to some feminist conspiracy is frankly ludicrous. 

Regarding pitch/goal sizes - men and women play on the same size tennis courts and there is no real issue.  The women's game there has developed though  - they are playing tennis with a lot more power than they used to - mainly due to improved techniques, fitness and equipment.

What I think will happen with goalkeepers in the ladies game is that taller girls will be targeted to take on the role - yes, I know taller women are already used in ladies football - I am talking about as the game develops and more girls play the game, there will be more scope for targeting extra tall girls to learn goalkeeping. That way you will see goalkeeping improve over time.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

t

Could all your posts be this concise please?

32 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

For someone who has no interest in women’s football you seem to know a lot about it. 

Having covered a couple of world cups and olympics I can’t personally say I’ve seen any ideology ‘driving’ women’s football, apart from those that drive all professional sort. 

The athletes desire to win, their desire to be the best they can possibly be and to represent their country or club with pride. There are of course the sponsors who want to use the sport to sell their products - but that is no different to other professional sports. 

The idea that women’s football is becoming more popular due to some feminist conspiracy is frankly ludicrous. 

I think your assertions are frankly ludicrous.

The only knowledge I have of women's football is what I've seen of it.

I desired to be the best that I could at football. Does that mean I should appear on tv? 

Having pride in your performances, your desire to win, does not entitle you to special treatment. If those were the yardsticks, why not televise every sporting event in the country? How do you decide which deserves to be shown? Why would you choose to watch games where all the measurable performance levels are on a par with a decent schoolboy's team?

The rising popularity of women's football is questionable, as Molly pointed out above & as did. the Guardian article I quoted. It's being pushed by a feminist ideology of women being as good as men (if not better) at anything & everything. There are plenty of people willing to go along with this despite all objective evidence because, one way or another, there's profit in it for them (for the time being).

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I presume you have some evidence of that

From wiki:

Cultural feminism is the ideology of a "female nature" or "female essence" that attempts to revalidate what they consider undervalued female attributes.[18] It emphasizes the difference between women and men but considers that difference to be psychological, and to be culturally constructed rather than biologically innate

13 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Coming soon “ women trying to reverse into a parking space “ on ITV4

Smack the Pony got there first

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think your assertions are frankly ludicrous.

The only knowledge I have of women's football is what I've seen of it.

I desired to be the best that I could at football. Does that mean I should appear on tv? 

Having pride in your performances, your desire to win, does not entitle you to special treatment. If those were the yardsticks, why not televise every sporting event in the country? How do you decide which deserves to be shown? Why would you choose to watch games where all the measurable performance levels are on a par with a decent schoolboy's team?

The rising popularity of women's football is questionable, as Molly pointed out above & as did. the Guardian article I quoted. It's being pushed by a feminist ideology of women being as good as men (if not better) at anything & everything. There are plenty of people willing to go along with this despite all objective evidence because, one way or another, there's profit in it for them (for the time being).

For someone not interested in women’s football, you don’t half spend a lot of time whingeing about it.

Meanwhile back to the football... expecting the mighty USA to thrash Thailand at least 2-0  😪

Edited by Surfer