Midlands Yellow

Buendia cost 5 Million then .

I'm beginning to believe Webber when he says we'll have the least to spend this season - all these promtion add-ons are totting up!

That said, it's all good as we'll be competitive. 

Edited by Fuzzar

35 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

What seems strange is that the Premier League add-on is so much larger than the basic fee. Particularly since Getafe can't have expected we would get promoted. Perhaps they were desperate for some money up front.

Yeah it's an odd way round but then again we wouldnt have been in a position to pay millions up front - maybe they (rightly, as it turned out) thought any team with Buendia stood a good chance?

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah it's an odd way round but then again we wouldnt have been in a position to pay millions up front - maybe they (rightly, as it turned out) thought any team with Buendia stood a good chance?

Getafe certainly cannot have been reading this message-board to come to that conclusion...😜

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

What seems strange is that the Premier League add-on is so much larger than the basic fee. Particularly since Getafe can't have expected we would get promoted. Perhaps they were desperate for some money up front.

If so, then it would be similar to the deal we did to bring van Wolfswinkel to the club. We stole a march on other bigger clubs who were interested because Sporting were desperate for immediate funds in order to see out the season, so the deal was agreed and announced in March and we paid €3m immediately.

As for the idea of promotion bonuses, I think it's the best way to operate. It allows a club to sign a good player for a smaller fee, and if/when you get promotion and a big cash windfall, you don't really mind paying out.

17 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If so, then it would be similar to the deal we did to bring van Wolfswinkel to the club. We stole a march on other bigger clubs who were interested because Sporting were desperate for immediate funds in order to see out the season, so the deal was agreed and announced in March and we paid €3m immediately.

As for the idea of promotion bonuses, I think it's the best way to operate. It allows a club to sign a good player for a smaller fee, and if/when you get promotion and a big cash windfall, you don't really mind paying out.

It doesn't look similar. With van Wolfswinkel that 3m was just the first payment of an agreed transfer fee of 8m or around that. We were always going to have to pay the full amount. By all accounts the equivalent fee for Buendia was 1.5m, and what we are now having to pay is purely a PL promotion bonus. 

Apparently regardless of promotion Norwich were due to pay another €4m - €5m for Buendia, but spread out over a number of season. Promotion triggered all that payment being made in one lump sum this summer. 

Norwich told media outlets that Buendia cost £1.5m to reduce expectations on him. The deal was always going to be around the £5m mark. Which seems a lot more representative of a player of his ability and reputation in Spain at that time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Apparently regardless of promotion Norwich were due to pay another €4m - €5m for Buendia, but spread out over a number of season. Promotion triggered all that payment being made in one lump sum this summer. 

Norwich told media outlets that Buendia cost £1.5m to reduce expectations on him. The deal was always going to be around the £5m mark. Which seems a lot more representative of a player of his ability and reputation in Spain at that time. 

In that case apologies to Wacky.

5 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

A player who was in the side that was relegated from the Spanish equivalent of the Championship was worth €5 million? What does that make the Ipswich players who got relegated this season worth? 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

A player who was in the side that was relegated from the Spanish equivalent of the Championship was worth €5 million? What does that make the Ipswich players who got relegated this season worth? 😄

Four pence?

7 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

He was only on loan there though. His parent club, Getafe, are in La Liga. 

Buendia was a stand out player in La Liga 2, €5m would be a reasonable price for him. The £1.5m quoted was always remarkably low. 

14 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bethnal, that doesn't seem to fit in with the figures in the accounts, as Icecream Snow posted. They gave a total transfer fee figure of £4.2m for Buendia and Leitner, unless some of that was made up loan fees for Rhodes and Passlack to their clubs.

And that figure would be the total fee, irrespective of how payments were staggered and how they were triggered. And if we paid about £1.5m or a bit more for Leitner then we seemingly paid at most £2.5 for Buendia. Any add-ons, as triggered by promotion to the PL, would be covered in the £9m figure given as possible extra commitments.

To add, if this new sum for Buendia was always there as part of the basic fee, and just staggered, and not an add-on, or at least not partly an add-on, then add-on figure of  £9m is massively high, since it would appear only to apply to Leitner. Unless I am missing something.

Edited by PurpleCanary

On 09/06/2019 at 17:49, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Where did you hear this? 

As Purple has pointed out, our commitments for Buendia, Leitner, Krul, Pukki, Rhodes and Passlack were 4.2 million entirely. As you pointed out when you were bizarrely trying to square a round peg to make out we out spent Sheff Utd, the Rhodes loan fee wasn't cheap and is included in that 4.2 million. If Buendia was 1.5 million up front, that only leaves 2.7 million for Leitner and Rhodes (assuming the Passlack fee was nominal).

Everything else was subject to club or player performance. So had Buendia not played and had we not been promoted, Getafe wouldn't have been getting another penny. 

Best reassess the validity of your source. 

Who cares. Not like hes not worth 5m after this season. We have got another gem at a low cost to us. We still have a lot of money to burn yet 🙄🤣. As long as we dont do our usual and waste a fortune on some 💩

57 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Where did you hear this? 

As Purple has pointed out, our commitments for Buendia, Leitner, Krul, Pukki, Rhodes and Passlack were 4.2 million entirely. As you pointed out when you were bizarrely trying to square a round peg to make out we out spent Sheff Utd, the Rhodes loan fee wasn't cheap and is included in that 4.2 million. If Buendia was 1.5 million up front, that only leaves 2.7 million for Leitner and Rhodes (assuming the Passlack fee was nominal).

Everything else was subject to club or player performance. So had Buendia not played and had we not been promoted, Getafe wouldn't have been getting another penny. 

Best reassess the validity of your source. 

I have no inside info, and Bethnal is normally very well-informed. But the 4.2m figures in the accounts does make sense if we paid around 1.5m or so for Leitner and roughly the same for Buendia, with some loan fees for Rhodes and Passlack to make up the rest, and with the 9m in reserve for potential add-ons. Neither figure seems to add up if we paid much more for Buendia in terms of the basic transfer fee. But either way, we got a really rather talented footballer for a bargain price, and under Leeds' noses to boot.

The accounts say that £9m will be payable depending on club/player performances. It could be that payments were due if Emi made a certain number of appearances, it could be that Norwich would be due to pay if they avoided relegation. 

As I said, the full payment was triggered immediately due to Norwich’s promotion, but I can’t imagine a deal was negotiated that Norwich pay £1.5m up front and then another £5m on promotion, and that 2nd payment is due only if Norwich got promoted. That would be a pretty bad deal for Getafe. 

Emi is definitely worth the fee and Norwich did well to get him considering the interest he was getting. 

Whatever we paid for him it was worth it. The most exciting talent I can remember seeing in a Norwich shirt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GJP said:

Whatever we paid for him it was worth it. The most exciting talent I can remember seeing in a Norwich shirt.

I have to agree. £5m is a steal, it’s purely because of the previous £1.5m number quoted that it feels high, it’s an absolute bargain in reality.

looking back over the last 20 years there have been a few really talented young attacking players who have come through at City and had a career in the top flight, Bellamy and Eadie immediately come to mind and of course Maddison , and I rate Buendia  as better than any, I’m really excited to see how he does in the Prem next season. 

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

looking back over the last 20 years there have been a few really talented young attacking players who have come through at City and had a career in the top flight, Bellamy and Eadie immediately come to mind and of course Maddison , and I rate Buendia  as better than any, I’m really excited to see how he does in the Prem next season. 

I'm  looking forward to hearing what Lineker and Co. have to say.

13 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I'm  looking forward to hearing what Lineker and Co. have to say.

I’m not. 

I can’t imagine they will come close to Colin Murray’s honesty and continual admiration.

Before denying the elderly their perk of a free TV licence, the BBC should be reducing the salaries of these over-paid, drivelling has-beens that parade as knowledgeable presenters. At least Hanson and Lawrenson have reached their shelf-life.

2 hours ago, unique said:

I’m not. 

I can’t imagine they will come close to Colin Murray’s honesty and continual admiration.

Before denying the elderly their perk of a free TV licence, the BBC should be reducing the salaries of these over-paid, drivelling has-beens that parade as knowledgeable presenters. At least Hanson and Lawrenson have reached their shelf-life.

I should have included a w!nky icon, my mistake, here's one anyway 😉

Worth twice that and more.

It is a bit of a strange one though. Must have been heavy clauses related to our promotion. When you consider that Wednesday want 7 million for Jordan Rhodes (no disrespect JR) that puts into light the bargain nature of Emi.

He will do very well in the Premier League, just the way he harries opponents and creates space. Just as long as he is told to keep out of our penalty area...

On 09/06/2019 at 23:18, AJ said:

Worth every penny.

and then some. Absolutely fantastic player. 

21 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Better than them all is a bold statement; I hope it's true.  They were / are all very good players. Personally, I always loved Eadie, maybe that was because I was at school then. His injury stopped a definite top career. 

19 hours ago, unique said:

At least Hanson and Lawrenson have reached their shelf-life.

I genuinely miss Hanson. I always liked him, despite everyone else seemingly hating him.

19 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I genuinely miss Hanson. I always liked him, despite everyone else seemingly hating him.

Mmmbop was catchy