Midlands Yellow

Buendia cost 5 Million then .

Our Premier League pie does seem to have a lot of fingers in it.

We have been warned that a certain amount of cautious frugality is necessary due to a need to keep an eye on the future but so far we have had:

1. Bonuses to players for getting there in the first place.

2. Increased wages expected by the likes of Windshutt, Ragett, Marshall and others no longer needed but still on the books.

3. Clauses like Emi's above. Is that the only one? I doubt it. Hernadez? McClean?

4. Increased pay out related to the Canary Bond.

There must be something else, not least the instant price/wages rise when a PL club considers signing any player 

I'm not really complaining here, it's the way of all things, but it is beginning to look a bit like a case of 'easy come, easy go' at the moment.

Perhaps a Madders windfall might be more than welcome after all.

Edited by BroadstairsR

18 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Our Premier League pie does seem to have a lot of fingers in it.

We have been warned that a certain amount of cautious frugality is necessary due to a need to keep an eye on the future but so far we have had:

1. Bonuses to players for getting there in the first place.

2. Increased wages expected by the likes of Windshutt, Ragett, Marshall and others no longer needed but still on the books.

3. Clauses like Emi's above. Is that the only one? I doubt it. Hernadez? McClean?

4. Increased pay out related to the Canary Bond.

There must be something else, not least the instant price/wages rise when a PL club considers signing any player 

I'm not really complaining here, it's the way of all things, but it is beginning to look a bit like a case of 'easy come, easy go' at the moment.

Perhaps a Madders windfall might be more than welcome after all.

Those will be far outweighed by the money made from one season at the top level.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

Those will be far outweighed by the money made from one season at the top level.

One would hope so but our last one season stint left us in a bit of a pickle.

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

One would hope so but our last one season stint left us in a bit of a pickle.

That was due to extremely poor transfer business and wage management not just in the Premier League but also the season we went down.

If we go back down this season we'll be in an excellent position- Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Buendia would all likely be worth hefty sums if we need to make some money.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bargain. 

Indeed and perhaps a separate thread is called for in order to evaluate the biggest bargain of the last two season's business:

Pukki? Buendia? Vrancic? Zimmerman? Krul ( even?)

And if the academy/scouting continues to pour out youngsters like Godfrey, Lewis, Aarons and Cantwell then the bond pay out will prove to be a bargain as well.

Agree hogesar.

I have not seen such balance, strength, poise, tenacity and ability in a Norwich player for many years.

Maddison had unbelievable technical talent and vision but I believe Buendia is a player with very high level across more areas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

That was due to extremely poor transfer business and wage management not just in the Premier League but also the season we went down.

If we go back down this season we'll be in an excellent position- Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Buendia would all likely be worth hefty sums if we need to make some money.

I think that we are all aware of that factor, but nevertheless need heed Webber's words concerning the need to avoid "pissing money up the wall," and his perceived mention of a transfer budget limit.

Nevertheless it doesn't alter the fact that our Premier League pot of gold seems to be leaking slightly before it is even realised.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Indeed and perhaps a separate thread is called for in order to evaluate the biggest bargain of the last two season's business:

Pukki? Buendia? Vrancic? Zimmerman? Krul ( even?)

And if the academy/scouting continues to pour out youngsters like Godfrey, Lewis, Aarons and Cantwell then the bond pay out will prove to be a bargain as well.

Pukki for me.

Simply because strikers cost so much money, so getting one for nothing who scored 30 goals in a season is incredible.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

I think that we are all aware of that factor, but nevertheless need heed Webber's words concerning the need to avoid "pissing money up the wall," and his perceived mention of a transfer budget limit.

Yep, totally agree. 

However I'm not sure how that links to the bonus paid for Buendia?

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yep, totally agree. 

However I'm not sure how that links to the bonus paid for Buendia?

Because it's money in the wrong direction just as sure as the Naismith waste was.

Still a bargain, as we agree. 

The fee was obviously agreed at the time the transfer was made, so would have been budgeted for from the outset. Webber will have been aware of it for a year, even if we haven't been. Trust.

• Like 1

Would anybody care to put a value on Norwich City’s squad at the beginning of last season compared to the value now?

I would expect the percentage increase to be one of the biggest in Championship -> PL history.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, unique said:

Would anybody care to put a value on Norwich City’s squad at the beginning of last season compared to the value now?

I would expect the percentage increase to be one of the biggest in Championship -> PL history.

Nothing compared to what it could be after one whole season's exposure to the top tier.

Maddison's value has nearly trebled according to reports and there is no reason to think that our the value of our three young stars, at the very least, would not increase at a rate of knots once they have played Premier League football for a decent spell. 

21 minutes ago, unique said:

Agreed.   What is even better is that this season could see their values increase even more. We got loads for Maddison - but that was him as a successful championship player. If some of our players do really well this season, their value could rocket.  Even if Buendia £5m, he must even now be worth £15-20m and if he has a succesfuil season next year, that could seem like absolute peanuts.

It’s the thing with these clauses - presumably they are in pretty-much all club-to-club transfers (if for a lesser or greater amount) but 95% of the time mean nothing as they don’t get triggered.  It’s a measure of your relative success if you get to pay out against them, so can’t really grumble if they get you the guy you want.

The slightly annoying thing is that - Madders or Redmond apart - I can’t think of any player sales where we are likely to get a similar payment....perhaps if Josh or Jacob move on?

Certainly wasn't "easy come". Even an investment in the bond wasn't easy.i guess it all appears "easy go" but only because the incredible achievement.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Because it's money in the wrong direction just as sure as the Naismith waste was.

Still a bargain, as we agree. 

It's a sensible financial strategy though. 

Without a clause like this for Buendia we probably couldn't afford him at our Championship budget- much better to have to pay an extra few million for him when we can afford it than trying to stretch the budget in the Championship or not signing him at all.

We seem to be planning to go the Burnley route this season- ie banking most of the money from this season, giving it a go without spending too much and then being in a strong financial position next season regardless of division.

You would imagine these types of clauses are pretty standard nowadays, especially for teams theoretically in with a shout of promotion to the Premier League. 

We have a very good squad and a minimum of about £170m over the next 3 years. We'll probably be fine. In fact I'd fully expect deals made in this window to contain 'if we remain in the league' type clauses.

This is actually exactly what Webber was talking about the other week. We'll make a loss in this year's accounts before the Premier League money washes over later on.

I'd posted this before, but the club had declared a £9 million liability in the last accounts, but it's always been unclear as to actually what that referred to.

image.png.d440e6ef759eb95621f6ef0067247839.png

Quite apart from the financial side of things, how long has it been since we've seen midfield talent like Maddison immediately followed by Buendia? 

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Nevertheless it doesn't alter the fact that our Premier League pot of gold seems to be leaking slightly before it is even realised.

Slightly missing the point that if we hadn’t been promoted we wouldn’t be making these payouts.

What seems strange is that the Premier League add-on is so much larger than the basic fee. Particularly since Getafe can't have expected we would get promoted. Perhaps they were desperate for some money up front.

"Slightly missing the point that if we hadn’t been promoted we wouldn’t be making these payouts."

I'm not arguing that point either. Just stating a few facts about a few outgoings piling up. It's the way of things though and that we seem to have gone from being a club who could have been struggling financially to one that is now basking in clover in such a short space of time is somewhat miraculous.