lake district canary

Teams we can beat next season -

21 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Is this right room for an argument?

Apparently, can’t see any other reason for this profound statement.

Yeah I mean in theory I could beat Man City on my lonesome. Not happening though.

There isn't many teams I fear other than man City and perhaps Liverpool. 

I've never been so optimistic about a Norwich side in the premier league after some of the football we played this season. 

More of the same and no need to show any of these clubs too much respect. 

We may as well forfeit them now. Save the fans a lot of money for starters. Delia oot. Lack of investment etc etc. 

3 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Is this right room for an argument?

Would you like to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Does your brainfart include cup games Lakey ?

I don't see why not. We are amongst the top twenty teams in the country and Daniel likes cup runs......

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I don't see why not. We are amongst the top twenty teams in the country and Daniel likes cup runs......

..... so you predicted 4th in the League, are we going to win a Cup as well? Asking for a friend....

If we play at our best and the other team has an off-day, we could theoretically beat anyone. However, over the course of 38 games, we need to be realistic and accept the likelihood is we will lose more games than we win.

Much as I'm hugely optimistic about next season, and I absolutely love Farke and Webber, we need to consider how we will react as fans if we're in and around the bottom three. With a comparatively minute budget, we'll need to adapt our tactics to be more defensively solid - that will probably result in less attacking fluidity than we're used to, and more games where our intentions are good but our output isn't brilliant. It's vital that we keep riding this wave of optimism, and keep faith in our management team even if things don't go to plan.

We're still huge underdogs in this division, and the tactics we have honed and improved over the last two years won't necessarily bring us success next season. Farke may well be forced into making changes in tactics, formation and personnel - both to keep the squad fresh and to stop us becoming too predictable. We'll need to defend well, counter-attack well, and take a few beatings on the chin. Keeping the same team and tactics week-in, week-out, as Farke has done this season, might not serve us as well against the big-hitters.

There's still a good chance we'll thrive and push towards mid-table and maybe even the top half, but it's really important that the fans don't keep riding on the entitlement that's seen us fly to the title this season. I'd still be more than happy with 17th, as long as we keep hold of Farke and Webber.

• Like 3

Feedthewolf     302

Feedthewolf
  •  
  •  
  •  

If we play at our best and the other team has an off-day, we could theoretically beat anyone. However, over the course of 38 games, we need to be realistic and accept the likelihood is we will lose more games than we win.

Much as I'm hugely optimistic about next season, and I absolutely love Farke and Webber, we need to consider how we will react as fans if we're in and around the bottom three. With a comparatively minute budget, we'll need to adapt our tactics to be more defensively solid - that will probably result in less attacking fluidity than we're used to, and more games where our intentions are good but our output isn't brilliant. It's vital that we keep riding this wave of optimism, and keep faith in our management team even if things don't go to plan.

We're still huge underdogs in this division, and the tactics we have honed and improved over the last two years won't necessarily bring us success next season. Farke may well be forced into making changes in tactics, formation and personnel - both to keep the squad fresh and to stop us becoming too predictable. We'll need to defend well, counter-attack well, and take a few beatings on the chin. Keeping the same team and tactics week-in, week-out, as Farke has done this season, might not serve us as well against the big-hitters.

There's still a good chance we'll thrive and push towards mid-table and maybe even the top half, but it's really important that the fans don't keep riding on the entitlement that's seen us fly to the title this season. I'd still be more than happy with 17th, as long as we keep hold of Farke and Webber.

Understand the sentiment but I disagree we have to become more defensive.

Webber and Farke have both repeated several times that our playing ethos will not change and we will not stray from our brand of football.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

We're still huge underdogs in this division, and the tactics we have honed and improved over the last two years won't necessarily bring us success next season. Farke may well be forced into making changes in tactics, formation and personnel - both to keep the squad fresh and to stop us becoming too predictable.

I agree with lharman, the key to any beatings we get will be to keep faith with the way we play, not change too much.  No one likes getting beaten, whether its by one goal or four or five, but the way we played before Christmas, after the ipswich match, was how we imo will try to play next season.  Controlling the ball, really good possession, not giving the opposition too many chances, frustrating teams and getting results.

I don't care who we play, if we do that I don't believe we will get beaten too many times. When we got to the top of the table last season, it changed a bit - it came a bit more frantic in trying to stay at the top, but that period before christmas was the bread and butter of the season that got us in a position to be successful in the first place. I believe we'll have to be like that all season to do well in the PL - we won't get the frantic 4-3's and lots of goals, but imo we will see a more refined and controlled football than we saw in the second half of last season.

On 08/06/2019 at 09:29, lake district canary said:

All of them.

Lecture over.

can - yes (minus man city or liverpool unless they have a dodgy bbq the night before or something)

will - no way

I get the thought process, each of the 38 games is a realistic opportunity for us to gain points but I will be happy with 40 points

5 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

can - yes (minus man city or liverpool unless they have a dodgy bbq the night before or something)

Can, yes..........including man city and liverpool, dodgy bbq or not.  Big teams are there to be got at, if you have the right frame of mind to do it. Thinking you are beaten before you even go into a match is not a good approach!

I think we have to accept we'll take a couple of beatings this season. Even in our most successful Premier League seasons we had a couple of games where we lost 5-0 or worse.

For once though I do agree with LDC- I don't think this team should have any fear in going up against those teams. I'd rather lose 4-0 to Man City but have tried to actually take them on than lose 1-0 but spend the entire game camped in our own penalty box.

6 hours ago, lharman7 said:

Understand the sentiment but I disagree we have to become more defensive. 

Webber and Farke have both repeated several times that our playing ethos will not change and we will not stray from our brand of football.

I'm not saying we should abandon the playing ethos, but just that we will naturally have to adapt to not being able to dominate possession in the way we did in the Championship. Fulham 'stuck to their principles' last season with £100m of fresh talent, and look where that got them. To not make tactical adjustments to compensate for the hugely improved quality of opposition would be nothing short of suicidal. We'll need to find different methods of being successful, some of which will be based upon siting deeper and counter-attacking effectively.

I'd love to be proved wrong and see last season's 'change as little as possible' template bring us success in the Prem, but realistically we'll need backup plans to be a bit more streetwise. Bear in mind we conceded the first goal and came back late on many occasions this season against inferior opposition; do you think that will work in the Prem?

There now appears to be a ‘Top 2’ as opposed to a ‘Top 6’, so only Liverpool and Man City are to be really wary of.

Catch either team around their European matches and there maybe points to be won.

The problem we have is having two young full-backs that love to attack and are an integral part of our offensive system.

I’m not sure many NCFC supporters would want to see them shackled.

I can see a potential ‘three at the back’ with Zimmerman, Klose and Godfrey being used from time to time, but other than that I think we have to accept that our style of play does make us vulnerable at the back.

22 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Fulham 'stuck to their principles' last season with £100m of fresh talent, and look where that got them.

Fulham f***ed it up. They had a good way of doing things which got them up from the championship, then immediately lost the plot, triying to keep the same principles, but without the continuity that was needed to maintain it.  We won't do that and have a form team, great up and coming palyers and an enthusiasm and work rate that will see us compete with anyone that comes our way.

"I can see a potential ‘three at the back’ with Zimmerman, Klose and Godfrey being used from time to time, but other than that I think we have to accept that our style of play does make us vulnerable at the back."

Although I'm clearly in the wrong I nevertheless cannot resist the temptation of viewing Godfrey as being best used as a defensive midfielder and therefore being that 'missing link' in our defensive strategy.

I'm also hoping that the very promising Louis Thompson's luck might might eventually change and that he could prove useful in a defensive barrier on certain occasions.

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Fulham f***ed it up. They had a good way of doing things which got them up from the championship, then immediately lost the plot, triying to keep the same principles, but without the continuity that was needed to maintain it.  We won't do that and have a form team, great up and coming palyers and an enthusiasm and work rate that will see us compete with anyone that comes our way.

Fair point about Fulham, probably a bad example on my part. Do you believe we need to make any modifications to our tactics in order to cope with the hugely improved quality of opposition, though?

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Fair point about Fulham, probably a bad example on my part. Do you believe we need to make any modifications to our tactics in order to cope with the hugely improved quality of opposition, though?

I think we just need to contuinue the development of the players/squad.  What is so exciting is that many of our players look as if they are going to develop into top PL players anyway, so the question is how far can the rest develop their play to cope with the raise in level.   I guess we will find out, but as for tactics, keep ball seems to be a good way forwards, a bit like we did in spells last season. Keep the ball and then attack with pace and movement (which really sums up what we tried to do last season). It doesn't matter how good the opposition might be, if we keep the ball they can't hurt us!

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think we just need to contuinue the development of the players/squad.  What is so exciting is that many of our players look as if they are going to develop into top PL players anyway, so the question is how far can the rest develop their play to cope with the raise in level.   I guess we will find out, but as for tactics, keep ball seems to be a good way forwards, a bit like we did in spells last season. Keep the ball and then attack with pace and movement (which really sums up what we tried to do last season). It doesn't matter how good the opposition might be, if we keep the ball they can't hurt us!

I do agree with this, but for me there is a question mark at CDM.

I like Trybull's workrate and he is neat and tidy in possession but that position is vital to how we play and I think he can be a little slow and ponderous. I really hope he can step up, but I would like to see some serious competition in this area.

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If only it were that simple! Look at the chart below, only the top six had more than 51% average possession last season. Simply 'keeping the ball' will lead to more turnovers of possession by teams with better pressing, and the technical ability to punish us for those turnovers.

Capture.JPG.e74880e2ab4e726583741b7b2313accc.JPG

It absolutely does matter how good the opposition might be; to think otherwise is naive in the extreme. The only way Leicester were able to do what they did was by conceding possession and being direct on the counter. Likewise Burnley when they finished seventh.

We will need to have more defensive and more direct elements to our play in order to survive. That's not to say we will need to totally change the system to play defensive, direct football, but simply that we will have to adapt our existing tactics to be able to do that when necessary.

Edited by Feedthewolf
User error