Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

England vs Norwich (predictions)

Having had the misfortune to watch a totally inept performance from England, I was just wondering how they would fare against Norwich! Their defending was diabolical, their passing was painfully slow and seemed to prefer to pass backwards whenever they could.

By contrast, the Netherlands looked a slick disciplined unit (which they weren't, but England helped make thatĀ appearance) - they looked like they were really trying hard to play the Norwich way. With a bit more practice they could even give us a game!

If what was on display from England was the best the premier league has to offer, then I see no reason to worry. Unfortunately, a lot of what the best the premier league has to offer, doesn't wear an England shirt!

England looked completely disjointed, incohesive, toothless... how else could one describe them? Just plain old sh!t I guess!

On that showing, we'd probably get a draw at least!

I can see that they're trying to play a certain way, but the issue is that they can't do it. Some of the younger players further up the field would have had the benefit of learning a more 'continental' and technical style from when they were kids. But the guys at the back probably, for the most part, would have still been getting taught to kick and run when they were kids. And it shows. Regardless of two of them playing for Man City who play an excellent possession based game, they seemed entirely unable to put a few passes together from the back to get them out of trouble and spring an attack. You can see that's what they want to do. It just didn't work.

Hopefully things will come together a bit more by the time the Euro's roll around but, I tell you now, I bet Stones and Walker won't be starting those games!

Ben Godfrey and Max Aarons in that side in place of John Stones and Kyle Walker and we win that game last night.

And I'm not even being facetious.

The problem was no midfield, the defense had very little outs without just pumping it long. The fact we improved when Henderson came on says it all. We need a midfielder who can sit and control. We have those players but Southgate has to pick them and I don't think he likes maddison.