Rhino1

Crying out for Madders!!!!

2 minutes ago, Dame to Blame said:

Thats says it all we cant even beat a sub standard avarage Dutch side 

We're also not playing half of our best team.

I really couldn’t give a toss if it’s a “real” competition or not. I’d just like to see England win something in my lifetime! Had a golden opportunity to win be the first team to win a trophy that in years to come may well become a proper prestigious tournament to win and threw it away with ridiculous errors

England has always hedged against raw talent over the years. Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Hoddle and Gazza should have all played many more games for England. 

Instead we ended up with Carlton Palmer, Steve Hodge and Emlyn Hughes. Headless chickens that ran around a lot but offered no quality. 

Expect Maddison to end his career without having the chance to fully realise his potential. 

England started the game with Chilwell (22), Rice (20), Rashford (21) and Sancho (19). And Sterling is still only 24.

• Like 1

I'm not interested in the England team but did watch the Holland game. Maddison is certainly no worse than any of the players last night but I don't see him ever being a world class player. What England seem to lack is someone who plays in the style of Buendia or Modric. A player like that would be perfect for a team with forwards like Sterling and Rashford. England seems to be blessed with a generation of good defenders,  forwards with pace and great wide players but even in the Championship there were no really good English midfield players. 

Perhaps Foden is the answer but we'll never know as long as he's happy to sit on the bench at Manchester City. Perhaps the answer to England's problems is to send him on loan to a newly promoted side who play good quality football 🙄

Maddison will get called up as soon as he goes to one of the top 6 teams. Southgate's 'he doesn't fit into our system' reasoning will soon be forgotten.

12 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Maddison will get called up as soon as he goes to one of the top 6 teams. Southgate's 'he doesn't fit into our system' reasoning will soon be forgotten.

Bear in mind that 2 other Leicester players were in the team last night and Southgate has picked a Burnley player recently. I don't think he is remotely bothered who people play for. 

I was at the Under 21 game at Carrow Road last season and Maddison looked very uncomfortable in the role he was asked to play. 

9 hours ago, kick it off said:

Jamie Redknapp just said Madders or Foden were the missing link for England.

Said by someone who actually knows the game.

I still fume, on a daily basis. that Old Mother Hodgson never gave our Grant a chance when he was at his peak and at a time when England were a bit short of choices up front.

A run out in a friendly would have done.

Madders will surely turn out for England one day ... despite his previous connection with Norwich City.😉

• Like 1

To be fair to Southgate, he has given caps to many players outside of the top six (Maguire is a mainstay of the team) and a lot of promising youngsters (Maddison has been in squads, fyi). He is trying to implement a new brand of football, with playing out from the back. Just like Norwich, it isn't going to happen overnight, but the signs are promising. Last night, Barkley and Stones completely lost their heads, but that is a consequence of the playing style we're attempting to adopt.

I was really underwhelmed with Southgate's appointment, but have been completely won over by him. His players clearly like and respect him (just like Farke?) and he's given me optimism for the future. 

At the end of the day, we reached the semis of the World Cup, and the last four of a European competition. There are a lot of people that seem to enjoy saying they're not bothered about watching England, because it's the "thing to do". England aren't as good as the top nations, but the signs are encouraging and Southgate is trying to turn us into a better footballing side.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo
  • Like 2

England lose a game and out comes all the ridiculous OTT criticism. How shocking.

Personally, I enjoy watching them play now and I enjoy seeing young talent being given a chance in the national team too. That's all I care about really, having a national team i dont actually mind watching.

Also, hearing Allardyce on TalkSport criticise 'playing out from the back' made me laugh.

• Like 2

I’ve always watched England play with a load of mates, usually in a pub, since the 1990 World Cup, and will continue to do so even though my mates no longer do.

Absolutely cataclysmic defending. I could not quite believe how poor we were - easily could have been 5 from defensive mistakes alone.

I will always support the team and as Norwich fans we appreciate what playing from the back can do for a team. However, I think the team definitely deserves some criticism for that performance - we didn't turn up.

For me the answer is pretty simple- go back to 3 at the back.

This England team has excellent attacking wing backs, a strong focal point striker and talent in the wide forward positions. It lacks a strong defensive midfielder or someone to dictate tempo from deep ala Leitner for us.

For me a 3-4-3 of...

Pickford

Maguire, Gomez, Stones

Alexander-Arnold, Henderson, Rice, Rose

Sancho, Kane, Sterling

is a strong set up.

I think Maddison is good enough. Will he fit the system Southgate wants to play? Possibly.

Last night, we had a pretty ordinary midfield in terms of what was needed to feed a young and pacy front three. And it wasn't until Henderson came on that we restored some calmness and precision to rival De Jong.

Forget the four silly mistakes at the back. The players have been told to try it. It is now up to Southgate to reason if he has the players to achieve it. Despite the Netherlands apparent supremacy, they were VAR away from going behind again so the thought that they have the best CB partnership in football looked a little short of evidence.

My main disappointment was that Southgate thought he had to rest the seven players. There was a trophy to win and if Portugal win it, the country will go mad.

This was against Holland who didn’t even qualify for the last World Cup. Now they are better than that would suggest but it is still a reference point. 

As for Madders, the best debut season by any English player in the PL and I think the best record for assists of any player in the PL? 

What more do you want to give him a game? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I still fume, on a daily basis. that Old Mother Hodgson never gave our Grant a chance when he was at his peak and at a time when England were a bit short of choices up front.

A run out in a friendly would have done.

Madders will surely turn out for England one day ... despite his previous connection with Norwich City.😉

Needles me too Broady, Rooney was suspended for the first two games, Hodgson's choice was, Holt,second highest English scorer that season with  17, including goals against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Or Andy Carroll who'd managed 5 goals and spent most of the season sitting on the bench at Liverpool. 

I'm getting wound up just typing this....😡

Madders time will come, but I do find it a bit strange that he wasn’t called up when it was obvious the champions league folks wouldn’t play much of a part