Let's not forget - it's not just that Timmu did fantastically well for us, we did fantastically well for him too. It's a mutual thing - would he play as well elsewhere?

And I don't buy the "we're still a selling  club" hand-wringing. Obviously there is a price at which we would start to listen to offers, but that's true for any player at ANY club, even the Citehs. Staying up entitles us to an extra year of parachute payments, and makes us even more attractive to potential recruits, so you need to factor that into any financial calculations.

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Absolute madness to even consider entertaining a team of sardine catchers.

Didn't we sell Alex Pilchard ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

We spent the week just down the coast from Lisbon and went into the city most days-didn't have a single "pastel de nata" until we were in the airport on the way home 🙄

What a mistake to make 😀

Just a few observations:

Webber has said that we are ALL in this together - selling one of the best forwards we have had in years would hardly keep the fans onside - no matter how much we got for him. Keep Pukki and have fun & exciting games, sell Pukki and we potentially find ourselves back playing the Hughton way.

By selling one of the stars is likely to cause more disharmony amongst the rest of the squad in the changing room than Nelson did.

We are not a selling club - I don't think Leicester are either, but rumour has it they are looking to offload Maddison for silly money (£60m being bandied about). Well then, what price for the Champs top goal scorer. The fact that he hasn't done it in the prem is only because he hasn't played there yet! Bear in mind he has had top league experience wherever he has played and has not been shy in front of goal on the international stage!

What does that all mean - dunno - I seem to have confused myself! 🤣

Oh yes, I remember now, the cost of selling Pukki (complete with loss of goals and team disruption) can not be simply put into pounds shillings and pence. However, very silly money - and I'm talking seriously silly money - like for instance upwards of £60m then that might just help ease the pain a little.

= we will not be selling Pukki.

• Like 2

£20m plus for a 29year old has got to be considered unfortunately. What if the club feel they can bring in an under 25 player for half that who they see as the next big thing? I don't think it's gonna happen, but it's possible.

Unless they offer a ridiculous amount, or Pukki pushes for a move, which seems highly unlikely given his character and words from last season, I can not see this happening.

His last chance to prove/test himself in the best league in the world

Hes happy and comfortable here

We already need a prem quality striker so to sell pukki will mean we are likely to have to spend £40m on strikers or hope we find 2 unknowns who happen to be prem quality.

Not worried about this rumour at all, with Premier League football we hold the attraction. No ‘big’ clubs will come in and offer big money anyway, he’s too old (in the nicest possible way). Nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Got back this evening from a few days’ working in Lisbon. 

Mentioned this rumour to several Benfica fans in a bar last night whilst watching the England game - they’d all heard about the potential interest in Pukki, and all thought that if they could get him for £8-12 million, it would be good business. 

I chuckled.