I can't see anything in this. Why would we sell him to Benfica for £20 million, when  (albeit decent, but untested) players like Che Adams and Maupay have similar price tags? If he's happy here, which I think and hope he is, then a club would have to offer us £30 million plus for it to even begin to be worth even starting to consider, which isn't going to happen. (And even then, I'd want him to stay...)

Now, if he (hopefully) has an amazing season for us and bangs in 20 goals then expect one of the big Prem clubs to come waving the dosh at the end of next season. That would be an altogether more difficult offer for him and the club to resist, I suspect.

Edited by Grando

Pah!  Would need to be all of that £106M they would reputedly get from ManUre to even answer the phone to START talking to them.

Urgh... Here we go with silly season or whatever it is they call it!

I've said it before, but I can't see us letting go of any of our star performers or first teamers from last season and nor do I think that the players would want to go. Webber alluded to this in that piece about Godfrey, where he said it's almost like "why would they want to go anywhere"? Especially after such a great season, within a club that is on the up and choc-filled with team spirit.

It would seem madness and it would have to be a VERY large bid to even consider it.

Edited by BobLoz3

Giving the amount of interest in a lot of our players, I reckon there's a few big clubs who must have been gutted by our promotion.

I think if Benfica offered somewhere in the region of 40-50 mill, then the club would have to sit up and listen, but they won't be offering that much.

25 minutes ago, Grando said:

I can't see anything in this. Why would we sell him to Benfica for £20 million, when  (albeit decent, but untested) players like Che Adams and Maupay have similar price tags? If he's happy here, which I think and hope he is, then a club would have to offer us £30 million plus for it to even begin to be worth even starting to consider, which isn't going to happen. (And even then, I'd want him to stay...)

Now, if he (hopefully) has an amazing season for us and bangs in 20 goals then expect one of the big Prem clubs to come waving the dosh at the end of next season. That would be an altogether more difficult offer for him and the club to resist, I suspect.

Pukki is 29 and scored 29 league goals-Adams is 22 and scored 22 goals, Maupay is 22 and scored 25 goals. Surely Pukki is not worth as much as the other two, as he is much older.

Can't see this happening.

As @Mr Angry says Pukki's age means he won't attract the same level of bids as a younger model so I can't see anyone bidding enough to make it worth our while.

12 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Not saying there is anything in this, not saying we need to sell, not saying i want him sold.......just asking, given his age, what price would have you considering selling?........a purely hypothetical question........

As he is one of the major aces in the pack that could assist in our quest for PL survival and the consequent riches involved in not being a one season wonder once again then that is a difficult question ... very. 

I actually think his current market value could well be pitched at c£20m and any Championship club with that sort of money to spare would grab that chance whole heartedly.

However, last season could have been a 'one off,' as they say, and he is unproven at the very top level in any case.

A dozen or so games into next season and that £20m valuation could go either way, but it would be silly for City to consider selling him for anything other than ridiculous money at this moment in time as the potential, some would say liklihood, of Teemu Pukki playing a leading part in leading us to even greater success and riches is too great a factor to discard.

In other words his price tag should be way and above what he is really worth and therefore more than any club would pay.

In truth, I cannot really see that TP would currently excite much interest from any PL club because of that inexperience at the top level, his age and his somewhat patchy history in the game 'til he arrived at Carrow Road.

Start off like a bomb and they'd all be after him.

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Absolute madness to even consider entertaining a team of sardine catchers.

Blimey John, you'll have the PC brigade after you if you're not careful.

27 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Pukki is 29 and scored 29 league goals-Adams is 22 and scored 22 goals, Maupay is 22 and scored 25 goals. Surely Pukki is not worth as much as the other two, as he is much older.

To a team like us, who has to be prudent, absolutely. To a team that wants instant results, without such a financial constraints, maybe not.

(Agree that we should only consider selling if they offer >35mil, which they won't.)

Edited by All the Germans

Every player has a price, but Pukki's value to us is high, so can't see anyone meeting it this season. How much would it cost to replace his goals - megabucks.

The sale would disrupt a lot of the success from last year, ethos at the club and also I cannot think of a direct replacement. So hypothetical, it is going to be too much for a club to afford.

I do not think as a striker to another team he is worth £30 million, but that is what he is worth to what we have built.

As mentioned we would need a replacement but also some one who gets the club ethos. It would probably leave us in a very tough position although we would have plenty of £££

Also the new striker would have even pressure on his shoulders without having a season working with EMI, onel, Marco and mario.

I'll eat my hat and move to Suffolk if we sell Teemu Pukki.

He is currently our only striker fit for the premier league, well settled and a fan favourite. While we are not going to spend a fortune, we are in an incredibly strong financial position and have no need to sell anyone.

Benficas all time record signing is 20m. They are not going to break that on a 29 year old.

Benfica are about to get £106m for Joao Felix so they'll have plenty of dosh to chuck around. £30m + then I think we are in business. Pukki had the season of his life last, what will he do in the Prem? We don't want his head turned by a silly wage offer from them also. 

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Benfica allegedly interested in Teemu Pukki, personally I want him to stay, that said what price would you be tempted to say yes too?, for me it would have to be at least £20M.........

What this does tell us is that Webber is having as many discussions with existing players as potential new ones. We can't overlook that this is Christmas come early for players and agents alike. The notion that the players troop in , sign a deal with a bit more money, a bonus , and a big fat relegation clause is cloud cuckoo I'm afraid. 

When we got into our difficulties before, it was down to player power. Naismith and others signing 3 and 4 year deals , without significant reduction in their wages on relegation,  led to us being in the sticky stuff. You can be sure that if we stick rigidly to "new" financial models , there will be some casualties this close season and , almost by definition, they will be the more valued or desirable players. There was a lot in Webbers public comments on the Cantwell negotiations yesterday to warn us. 

Buendia, Pukki, possibly Hernandez, with (I assume) foreign agents will be playing hard ball. What would a mid table Prem team , like Everton, offer Buendia ? This is now the world we occupy, and it is easy to say that we made mistakes before (under McNally and Co) , and wont again. It may lead to some hard truths in competition with our rivals. 

Long way to go folks. 

Well since we know that signing a vaguely similar replacement such as Maupay or Adams would probably cost us £20m then in my view any offer would need to be north of £30m.

I have a horrible feeling though that in our new "self funding" world the club would be very tempted b anything over £20m.

44 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

What this does tell us is that Webber is having as many discussions with existing players as potential new ones. We can't overlook that this is Christmas come early for players and agents alike. The notion that the players troop in , sign a deal with a bit more money, a bonus , and a big fat relegation clause is cloud cuckoo I'm afraid. 

When we got into our difficulties before, it was down to player power. Naismith and others signing 3 and 4 year deals , without significant reduction in their wages on relegation,  led to us being in the sticky stuff. You can be sure that if we stick rigidly to "new" financial models , there will be some casualties this close season and , almost by definition, they will be the more valued or desirable players. There was a lot in Webbers public comments on the Cantwell negotiations yesterday to warn us. 

Buendia, Pukki, possibly Hernandez, with (I assume) foreign agents will be playing hard ball. What would a mid table Prem team , like Everton, offer Buendia ? This is now the world we occupy, and it is easy to say that we made mistakes before (under McNally and Co) , and wont again. It may lead to some hard truths in competition with our rivals. 

Long way to go folks. 

This will be our problem longer term certainly. We may keep the players happy for a season or so but if they perform they will get offers from clubs which treble or quadruple their wages and they will want to go, We are going to need to have a continuous line of potential replacements scouted which I hope we do.

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

But he's better!

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

He is to us. The OP's question was how much would we be willing to sell him for, not how much would other clubs be willing to pay. His value to us is unquantifiable at present. We need to ask ourselves how much it would cost to buy somebody more likely to score sufficient goals in the Premier League for us to stay there than Pukki is. Pukki has an advantage here in that we already know how well he fits into our system and culture, and also the on-field telepathy he has with others in our existing squad. Nobody knows how he will perform in the Premier League, so his value could go up or down very quickly once the season is underway. However, it is easier for us to envisage he will carry on the momentum he has built up within our local environment than for other teams to be as confident that he would slot in as effectively into theirs. Therefore his current value to us is significantly higher than it would be to potential suitors.

I wouldn't sell him for less than £40m (of course, I know nobody is going to pay that but this is a hypothetical scenario). That would allow us to buy an Adams and a Maupay and mitigate the risk that either could be pants in the Premier League.

I doubt Pukki will turn down his shot at Premier League football! Maybe next season if we fail to survive

• Like 1

Theres no way Pukki is worth (or anyone will pay) £30M,

Yes he was unbelivable last seaons, but he'll be 30 before the seasons finished.

Reports of bids around £8-10 Million for Maupay and Adams, means surely Teemu would only fetch £15-20M tops.

48 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well since we know that signing a vaguely similar replacement such as Maupay or Adams would probably cost us £20m then in my view any offer would need to be north of £30m.

I have a horrible feeling though that in our new "self funding" world the club would be very tempted b anything over £20m.

This we are in the business of selling players for money now the recruitment team would then have to prove their worth replacing him.

29 year old free transfer > 15/20+ million £ and also possibly getting xxK a week more and lets face it a lovely place to live and champions league football and some title chances.

Its a risky move Pukki is untested in the premier league unless he tears it up he wont be worth much more than he is right now given his age.

From a football perspective get lost... from a business perspective cost of replacement+risk of loosing player+ profit = x

It may very well be that they would not pay what he is worth to us (a good chance of that tbh)

Put yourself in Pukkis shoes I dont know what we are paying but this might be his last shot at a big move.  If he flops in the premier league this wont come again.

Edited by Fromage Frais

58 minutes ago, Van wink said:

You do get lovely custard tarts in Lisbon

We spent the week just down the coast from Lisbon and went into the city most days-didn't have a single "pastel de nata" until we were in the airport on the way home 🙄

Worth far more to us than any transfer fee he could command. He fits our team strategy better than any other striker near his transfer price range. His understanding with his team mates is now near telepathic, & that would probably take a long while to replicate, if ever.

In one sense Farke got lucky last year - he had all the right players but didn't immediately get the jigsaw right. Who saw Marco as a pivotal no. 10? I doubt even Daniel did.

Keep Teemu at all costs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Really? 

Yes we have a new model but we also have a very clever man in Webber making the important transfer decisions. He’s not stupid and to sell Pukki would mean we would need a top class, proven striker as well as another to compete with them to have any chance of staying in the PL. We won’t get that for anywhere near 20m.

Also Pukki has spoken of his desire to play in the PL and what a dream it has always been. Swap that for Primeira Liga and Portugal? Nah, can’t see it.

Webber has said we don’t need to sell, and to sell our best player of last season for 20m with so much at stake would be plain stupid.

Pukki is the kind of striker a club like ours should be adding to our PL squad, not selling.