Homegrown, should be able to slip into our squad with ease. Quite possibly available (Jacob loaned to Championship last season and Josh been relegated). Newcastle, if they want to keep him might see Norwich as the ideal place for him to develop, if they dont want him, should be available to buy. Cardiff might want to sell following relegation.

Im always of the view you should never go back. But both players could fit in well with our system from last season (assuming we will keep the same tactics). Josh could play the Hernandez role, Jacob the Buendia role. They're both better than Cantwell and provide pace and the ability to score goals out of nothing. We need players able to challenge or be effective alternatives to Hernandez/Buendia. We all saw how much we missed them when they were out of the team last season. With Roberts providing a challenge to Buendia, or a different option to Stipermann, I think having either one, or even both of the Murphy's back would be a decent move.

I personally wouldnt be unhappy if we reimbursed Cardiff for Josh and took Jacob back on loan. If Newcastle wanted to sell him, Id doubt his value would have changed too much. As long as we didnt overpay for him, he would be a good signing for me.

I know a lot of people would say, been there, done that, move on there are better players etc. But better fits? They're surely a pretty known quantity and fit in with our tactics and our club ethos.

Id welcome them back in a heartbeat. Anyone else?

Not for me - though neither has particularly shone since leaving so I guess they might be in our price range.  I was really surprised how much Colin raved about Josh when he signed him.

I enjoyed watching them both for us and don't think we would be in the position we are in today if it wasn't for the money we got for them. Who knows what will happen in their careers but right now I don't think they have done enough to earn a move to the premier-league with us and the money that would be required to bring them here would wipe us out. Not for me

Neither would fit into Farke's possession based, short passing and high press system.  That bird has flown.  

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The Murphys are not Farkeball material.  Josh kind of proved that in the first season under Farke.

Id argue there that Josh was a victim of the system. Was continually played as a striker, which he is not. Played when Farke was persisting with the 3 at the back and wingbacks system that never really suited. Remember players like Vrancic looked poor that season too but massively improved and flourished in a different system. Josh did well in the cups as well

Not much love for the Murphy's so far, but we probably need some homegrown players. Id struggle to name two players we could afford, who'd be interested in coming, who would almost certainly settle straight away and would fit our tactics and are homegrown that wouldnt cost more.

I think they could be useful alternatives to our existing players. Josh would be a good alternative to Hernandez if played in the same way. Both Josh and Jacob can score goals from long range and are good counter-attacking players, something a team likely to be on the backfoot in most games really needs

Josh's wages would not fit our current structure. Great lads, but no.

We are working to a different pattern and they would not fit that.

I would expect that any signings will be as has been. Players who have the potential to develop and the mindset to burst a gut trying.

We might see an 'old hand' as we have done to great effect in the past....Peters, Channon, Dublin, O'Neil to see us through the season, but I can only agree what what has been said in all of the posts above.

We were paid hansomly for their development when they moved on. The best outcome was had by all involved. 

Let's not recreate problems of old. 

36 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Id argue there that Josh was a victim of the system. Was continually played as a striker, which he is not. Played when Farke was persisting with the 3 at the back and wingbacks system that never really suited. Remember players like Vrancic looked poor that season too but massively improved and flourished in a different system. Josh did well in the cups as well

Don't think the system was the reason. The games I saw, Josh continually got caught on the ball, failed to make the right passes at the right time, shot when he should have passed, passed when he should have shot, scored one worldy that put him on cloud nine and looked unplayable for the rest of that match and then returned to normal in the following matches.  Vrancic actually improved and adapted his game throughout that season, becoming a real force by the end of it and so i don't think the system is relevant there either.

No way!

Neither of them would tackle back like our two outstanding wide players.

Both of them shirked a hard tackle . Did not like going for a 50/50 ball with any conviction.

Absolutely no comparisons.

Just proved yet again the shrewd management in place at Carrow Road. 

• Like 1

The money we got for them both was far more than they were worth. This has been proven since they have left 

no way should we take them back will never happen 

• Like 3

I agree with the majority, we sold at the right time.

We sold when both peaked and cannot see them adding to our team now.

I don't think either have improved and happy to see their careers continue. But I also believe in never going back and neither are worth even more thought.

For the money we'd have to pay to get them back, I don't think it would be economically sound. I'm oot as well.

10 hours ago, ricardo said:

Gone and forgotten.

Not forgotten by me.

Two lads who came through our academy, performed well and made the club a sizeable chunk of money. I'll always be pretty thankful for them even if I don't think we should resign either of them.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not forgotten by me.

Two lads who came through our academy, performed well and made the club a sizeable chunk of money. I'll always be pretty thankful for them even if I don't think we should resign either of them.

This

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Not forgotten by me.

Seconded........

Wish them well, but no longer fit into our squad. Never been the too keen on the idea of sinning ex players 

29 minutes ago, AJ said:

Wish them well, but no longer fit into our squad. Never been the too keen on the idea of sinning ex players 

I always quite fancied Steve Bruce though.

I thought Josh played quite well towards the end of the season for Cardiff. As others have said though, I don't think he fits the ethos that DF has instilled in the last season-though to be fair, we don't know if he would have bought into it if he'd been there, but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Never been the too keen on the idea of sinning ex players 

Sinners? That explains why we sold them then. 😁

Both are certainly good championship players and have the ability to change a match but honestly they are both far too inconsistent and have struggled with the demands of the PL, it's a no IMO. There's also clearly some attitude problems, I think our money is better spent elsewhere.

Edited by Ginja

So reasons to re-sign them:

• They're homegrown

Reasons not to:

• They're not as good as what we have
  • They don't fit into our current way of playing
  • They're paid too much
  • Going back to an old club never works
  • They don't track back
  • Not committed enough tackling
  • We sold them for more than they are worth and would have to overpay to get them back

Nuff said...

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 4