Alex Moss

Where will we finish next season - predictions.

Let's turn this question on it's head then.

Who among us right now would settle for the 17th.place position this coming season?

I would, just.

That first season might be considered the hardest to survive as after that the increased cash flow once achieved could allow a more expansive transfer policy.

Financially speaking alone it is surely creates a better base than being a one season wonder would.

The parachute money is less for a one season stay.

OK! It's all been mostly about the money and some don't like that emphasis, but it is nevertheless the harsh reality.

On the other hand Farke, his team and his squad would be all the more better equipped after one whole season in the top level.

A better outfit all-round would emerge as survivors preparing for a second term than being part of a club that has once again been ephemeral members amongst the elite, and losers to boot.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I wouldn’t, Broady. I truly think we can do a bit better than that, I believe we’ve got a mid table finish in us judging by what I saw last season in the Prem (top 6 excluded). After the transfer window, I think our squad will be that little stronger too.

If we can tighten up defensively* and avoid injuries to key players then I think with our style of possession based skilful football we can be at least mid table. 

* Defence starts from the front not just the defenders so involves tactics and discipline. 

11 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I wouldn’t, Broady. I truly think we can do a bit better than that, I believe we’ve got a mid table finish in us judging by what I saw last season in the Prem (top 6 excluded). After the transfer window, I think our squad will be that little stronger too.

We certainly can AM as we are surely to be a bit of an enigma among the Premier League also rans but, on balance , I prefer to be cautious with my ambitions though.

Our last three sorties into the land of the elite has seen us last one season (Worthy's team,) three seasons (Lambert's team) and one season (Neil's team.)

By contradiction it can be argued that, of the three, Lambert's team was the weakest of the three and the fact that survival was more prolonged really gives rise to one of the few times I, personally, am prepared to issue praise in Lambert's (and perhaps the Hoots's) direction nowadays.

His (PL's) success indicates a talent for motivating and gelling a decent squad in order to achieve more with the old adage that the 'whole was better than the  sum of the parts' (Harry Stotle) being often quoted; and additionally gives us hope in as much as Farke seems even  better at achieving this ideal.

The point now being that I would be happy for just survival for this coming season in the hope that we can, for once, achieve a base for a more prolonged existence in the stratosphere, and with financial considerations being important.

This is not to say I think we should set our sights as low as 17th. place, just that I would settle for it.

We seem to have got a lot right as a football club in the last two years let's hope the coming season proves to be no exception to this.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Not chipped in here yet, I think we'll finish 15th. But if you offered me 17th now I'd take it, on balance.

23 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Given our financial position and how strong the PL is in this era I would count finishing 17th next season the greatest achievement for the club since I started supporting in 2000. The talk of a top half finish is insane, I think we'll give pretty much every team a good game and will probably dominate a lot of games but we're vulnerable against pace and direct running on the counter, against long strikes and defending set pieces, these areas are where most of the also rans in that league are strongest and where most of their goals come from. 

We have a great footballing team, but in that league we're going to find it really tough to pick up results. I can see a lot of frustrating encounters where we come away feeling hard done by, thinking we should have won but the opposition digs us out with a cheap, low percentage goal or wonderstrike. We're going to need a lot of luck next year that's for sure. 

The voice of reason.

Maybe a shade pessimistic but there's a hell of a lot more realism here than from our fantasist Walter Mitty friend up North.