Alex Moss

Where will we finish next season - predictions.

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

Verdict: every single Canary fan should wish they were owned by Gino Pozzo instead of Delia as the latter is clueless about defence and always will be.

Considering the times you've attacked her over the years Vinnie, but she's still there, I'd say her defence is spot on.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Congratulations also to LDC for making the most ridiculous prediction in a thread where someone said we'd finish 21st in a 20 team league.

Why should predicting finishing 4th be ridiculous?  I just don't get the way people put the PL up on a pedestal so much.  Apart from the top two, the rest of the PL last season was distinctly average.  Some very good players around - some very average teamwork at times too.  The pressure gets to clubs when they are in the bottom half and that tension is what we have to exploit, not get panicky or desperate.....and that is what we didn't do this season, we never let the stress or tension get to us and that is what will help us next season. 

We have nothing to fear and after all, what is the worst that can happen?  We could get relegated - and that would not be a disaster, so next season ought to be a celebration of football for our club, to enjoy it - and with an attitude like that anything can happen.  So 4th might be pie in the sky....but then again it might not be.

So much of it comes down to Pukki imo. We aren’t a one man team, no. We’ve got others who will chip in with goals, yes. But Pukki was the difference between us winning the league and being around the playoffs.

So I’ll say if Pukki scores more than 10  next season, we’ll finish 12th. If he doesn’t get 10, we’ll go down.

5 minutes ago, Aggy said:

So much of it comes down to Pukki imo. We aren’t a one man team, no. We’ve got others who will chip in with goals, yes. But Pukki was the difference between us winning the league and being around the playoffs.

So I’ll say if Pukki scores more than 10  next season, we’ll finish 12th. If he doesn’t get 10, we’ll go down.

Rarely did Pukki score solo goals, the rest of the team created so much for him to feed off, definitely not a one man team.     12th or above!   

If we can get a quality DM, defender and striker I think we will stay up. Go with what we've got and our defence will get shreaded. Too early to predict until we see who and our relegation rivals sign.

Outside the top 6 personally I don't think we should fear anyone.

I'll give 200 quid to Nutty pups and gladly if we finish in the top 4 lakey. You willing to do the same for anything less?

Edited by Darth Canary1

4 hours ago, king canary said:

...for making the most ridiculous prediction in a thread where someone said we'd finish 21st in a 20 team league.

Yes that was me 🙂 20th, 20th, 20th - or 15th of things go well with our style of football 

7 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

15th. Will pay £20 to PUPs funds for every place above 18th.

Parma

That's a lot of money when we win the Premiership!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Darth Canary1 said:

I'll give 200 quid to Nutty pups and gladly if we finish in the top 4 lakey. You willing to do the same for anything less?

No. I'll find something to pledge for pups at some point, after all there's no point in your bet since if i am right, i wouldn't have anything to pay. 

😋

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Keep out of the bottom 3 and i will be happy.

Getting promoted again in my lifetime has already exceeded my expectations. I am happy to take whatever transpires.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Why should predicting finishing 4th be ridiculous?  I just don't get the way people put the PL up on a pedestal so much.  Apart from the top two, the rest of the PL last season was distinctly average.  Some very good players around - some very average teamwork at times too.  The pressure gets to clubs when they are in the bottom half and that tension is what we have to exploit, not get panicky or desperate.....and that is what we didn't do this season, we never let the stress or tension get to us and that is what will help us next season. 

We have nothing to fear and after all, what is the worst that can happen?  We could get relegated - and that would not be a disaster, so next season ought to be a celebration of football for our club, to enjoy it - and with an attitude like that anything can happen.  So 4th might be pie in the sky....but then again it might not be.

Mocking aside,

Was it really average? Or was it very good?

Three 'distinctly average sides' got to finals of European competitions.

I'd argue it was very good and any team from Wolves down to Bournemouth could beat (and play some really good stuff) any of the big boys on their day, then you have Southamptons new setup and Newscastle's potential sale.

Its clear we are not going to make any substantial signings, were not going to do what Wolves (or Fulham) did, so realistically its this squad vs the Premier League. 

Considering us winning the league was quite a surprise and although we ended up winning it by five points, we went four games only drawing that could have blown our automatic chance, we could easily have ended up in the playoff against a resurgent Aston Villa, so expecting us to compete with Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Wolves, Leicester, Watford, Newcastle, Leicester's seems very far fetched.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 1

I predicted 12th last season, so I'm predicting it again (In the hope the same thing happens !) 

For the attention of splendidrush and  Aggy the bit in brackets was a bit of tongue in cheek,wishful thinking !

Edited by SwindonCanary
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Anything above 18th would be acceptable on a financial level, but I can't in all honesty predict us grovelling around at the bottom of the table.  Imo the PL is overated with two teams dominating, the rest are there to get pioints off - so pushing towards the top for me. Actually, for me anything below 10th would be a disappointment - I think we are going to be better than quite a few clubs, so I'll say 4th, pushing 3rd. 

Yes, it'll be way too optimistic for most people, but no sense in being timid about what is possible imo. The aim should be to win every game, whoever it is against and with a policy of belief in ourselves, we can do very well. Third place in the PL this season was 72 points and that imo is achievable. 

I would love to agree with you, LDC and I admire your optimism. However, with no improvements in defense, we’ll be roasted every other week until we reduce the number of mental lapses that give opponents easy opportunities to score; for which we will be punished far more severely than in the Champs.

With that said, I am excited to see how our midfield play and strikers measure up in the Prem!

I’m going for 13th.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Because in the last decade I think only one team out of the current top 6 has finished in the top 4.

Because our wage budget will likely be one of the smallest in the league and wage budget and league position generally correlate pretty well.

Because our squad is almost entirely untested at this level.

You're of course free to predict what you like and more power to you but let's not pretend a prediction of 3rd or 4th is based on anything logical or reasonable rather than just pure blind optimism.

34 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Mocking aside,  Was it really average? Or was it very good?

Three 'distinctly average sides' got to finals of European competitions.  I'd argue it was very good and any team from Wolves down to Bournemouth could beat (and play some really good stuff) any of the big boys on their day, then you have Southamptons new setup and Newscastle's potential sale.

Its clear we are not going to make any substantial signings, were not going to do what Wolves (or Fulham) did, so realistically its this squad vs the Premier League. Considering us winning the league was quite a surprise and although we ended up winning it by five points, we went four games only drawing that could have blown our automatic chance, we could easily have ended up in the playoff against a resurgent Aston Villa, so expecting us to compete with Man Utd, Wolves, Leicester, Watford, Newcastle seems very far fetched.

I just think we will give all the clubs you mention a good game - they will be under as much pressure as any other team to beat what everyone will assume is a club they should beat as a matter of course.  My belief is that we could well do what we did last season - pass teams off the park, as we did in the run before Christmas, frustrate teams who will expect to dominate us and who won't be able to. Even the top teams will not have the ball as much as they are used to, creating a very similar scenario to the run last season that got us to the top of the championship. Once there our game changed a little bit, but we saw what we can do when we want to dominate posession and frustrate teams.

The key of course is if we can still score goals at the top level and of course I think we will. We are a premier league team and have been playing premier league quality football most of last season so imo we have as good a chance of doing well as anyone else in that league.  We will have to step up of course and improve, but that is part of the process that started two years ago. We will develop and we will improve!

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I just think we will give all the clubs you mention a good game - they will be under as much pressure as any other team to beat what everyone will assume is a club they should beat as a matter of course.  My belief is that we could well do what we did last season - pass teams off the park, as we did in the run before Christmas, frustrate teams who will expect to dominate us and who won't be able to. Even the top teams will not have the ball as much as they are used to, creating a very similar scenario to the run last season that got us to the top of the championship. Once there our game changed a little bit, but we saw what we can do when we want to dominate posession and frustrate teams.

The key of course is if we can still score goals at the top level and of course I think we will. We are a premier league team and have been playing premier league quality football most of last season so imo we have as good a chance of doing well as anyone else in that league.  We will have to step up of course and improve, but that is part of the process that started two years ago. We will develop and we will improve!

Absolutley zero substance to that post.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We are a premier league team and have been playing premier league quality football most of last season so imo we have as good a chance of doing well as anyone else in that league.  

There's a huge difference between 1p5wich and Man C. 

The only way we're getting into Europe is if there's a War.

I'm with the percy positives on this. Think we will finish 9th - 12th.

I would like us to get a big (Man U / Arsenal / Spuds) team at Carrow Rd very early on in the season as we may have a punchers chance. Any of the big boys we meet after the first 5 games are probably going to tear us a new one.

Edited by East Rider

12 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Absolutley zero substance to that post.

Just as much substance that says we will be rolling around at the bottom of the table when the evidence is that our level of football this season has been exceptional by any standards.   People are entitled to think we are going to struggle, as I am entitled to think that we will do well.  But don't pretend you are any more correct in your views than I am,  because at this point none of us really know what will happen next season. 

Maybe a prediction is only ok if it fits in with the "we will struggle" mentality...........

I think it will need a mighty effort to do well, but on the evidence of last season our cracking group of players, many of whom are going to do well in the PL as they develop, will show that last season was no fluke and we will cause problems for every team we will come up against right up to Man City and Liverpool. To suggest we won't is defeatism imo. 

Edited by lake district canary

2 hours ago, Darth Canary1 said:

Put a quid on it now, and you'll still be £50 in pocket if it happens (250/1 on B365)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Put a quid on it now, and you'll still be £50 in pocket if it happens (250/1 on B365)

Thanks for the heads up Chewy. Last of the big spenders but I just did : -

Norwich to finish top four

£1 Bet 365

250/1

£251.00

Norwich to finish top six

£1 Bet 365

100/1

£101.00

For PUPs🙃

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Thanks for the heads up Chewy. Last of the big spenders but I just did : -

Norwich to finish top four

£1 Bet 365

250/1

£251.00

Norwich to finish top six

£1 Bet 365

100/1

£101.00

For PUPs🙃

Maybe you should have given PUPS the two quid...

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Just as much substance that says we will be rolling around at the bottom of the table when the evidence is that our level of football this season has been exceptional by any standards.   

Our level of football against Millwall and QPR has no bearing on how we will cope against Wolves or Everton. 

Really concerned about being sliced apart with our current defenders ... love the guys at the back but need a big signing there.

Heart says 16/17

Head says 18/19

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But don't pretend you are any more correct in your views than I am,  because at this point none of us really know what will happen next season. 

You've said 3rd...he's said 17th. The average finish for a team in their first season after promotion is around 15/16. His predication would seem to be based more on real data than yours.

Maybe a prediction is only ok if it fits in with the "we will struggle" mentality...........

Any predication is fine....but it helps if it's based in the realms of reality rather than fantasy. Roughly 50% of newly promoted teams go down in their first season.

To suggest we won't is defeatism imo. 

To suggest the above is utter b0llocks imo.

As for me, I don't normally make predications until August as you need to see the ins and outs before being certain of what we can do...and I'm certainly not going to change the habit of a life time now. :classic_tongue:

OTBC

• Like 1