Alex Moss

Where will we finish next season - predictions.

Discussions on another thread have led me to wonder in what position will we finish in the league next season. I think, as long as we keep all the players we want to this close season, and with the addition of 2-3 quality signings, then we could actually do better than expected.

I’m going to go for an optimistic 10th!

Will reserve judgement until I see who we've signed and the starting XI. Will be happy with 17th.

Just now, jaberry2 said:

Will reserve judgement until I see who we've signed and the starting XI. Will be happy with 17th.

No sitting on the fence, Jaberry2 - the question is, at this moment in time, where do you think we will actually finish? - not what position you would be happy with ; ) 

I'm thinking either 15th or 21st, it really depends on how our brand of pass oriented football stands up to the athleticism of mid and lower table teams. It could go well, or we could be outmuscled every week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex Moss said:

No sitting on the fence, Jaberry2 - the question is, at this moment in time, where do you think we will actually finish? - not what position you would be happy with ; ) 

Right I'm off the fence. 17th 🙂

• Like 1

Top of a bottom 5 of

Us

Sheff Utd

Burnley

Villa 

Brighton

Think Brighton will finish with a v low points total and rock bottom, then the other 4 in any order really but hopefully with us at the top. I can't see any other clubs struggling by the end. Villa won't be as strong as many predict, Burnley I just have a feeling about and I think us and Sheff Utd will just scrape to safety. I do think we'll get off to a shaky start though while we adapt, probably bottom 3 going into the first break.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

An agonising 18th 😞

Now prove me wrong, boys!!! I want to taste my bitter words a year from now

Edited by GenerationA47
18 not 17

I think we will have to adapt our style somewhat and tighten things up a bit but it's something we have shown we are capable of doing. Definitely need a backup for Pukki and a DM which I'm confident we will bring in.

15th 

Anything above 18th would be acceptable on a financial level, but I can't in all honesty predict us grovelling around at the bottom of the table.  Imo the PL is overated with two teams dominating, the rest are there to get pioints off - so pushing towards the top for me. Actually, for me anything below 10th would be a disappointment - I think we are going to be better than quite a few clubs, so I'll say 4th, pushing 3rd. 

Yes, it'll be way too optimistic for most people, but no sense in being timid about what is possible imo. The aim should be to win every game, whoever it is against and with a policy of belief in ourselves, we can do very well. Third place in the PL this season was 72 points and that imo is achievable. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Anything above 18th would be acceptable on a financial level, but I can't in all honesty predict us grovelling around at the bottom of the table.  Imo the PL is overated with two teams dominating, the rest are there to get pioints off - so pushing towards the top for me. Actually, for me anything below 10th would be a disappointment - I think we are going to be better than quite a few clubs, so I'll say 4th, pushing 3rd. 

Yes, it'll be way too optimistic for most people, but no sense in being timid about what is possible imo. The aim should be to win every game, whoever it is against and with a policy of belief in ourselves, we can do very well. Third place in the PL this season was 72 points and that imo is achievable. 

Champions League football for us in 20/21 then, Lakey?! I admire your optimism, fair play

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Third place in the PL this season was 72 points and that imo is achievable. 

Can you post me what you're taking - I need a pick me up as my usual isn't working. Thanks.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I'm thinking either 15th or 21st, it really depends on how our brand of pass oriented football stands up to the athleticism of mid and lower table teams. It could go well, or we could be outmuscled every week. 

21st could be hard in a 20 team league :classic_tongue:

• Like 1

I think we're probably rightly among the favourites to go down. We might spring a bit of a surprise early on, so need to get some points on the board before teams work us out.

Norwich City will finish as the highest scoring team ever to wind up bottom of the EPL. For me, City have still not got to grips with the age-old problem of conceding too many goals. Including the two full-backs, they play with 8 attackers and just 3 defenders. We know in the EPL you can lose the ball in the opposition penalty area and two passes later it is in the back of your own net. To concede 57 goals as Championship winners is a very high number and unless quality defensive players are brought in this could rise to 100 in the EPL. Especially when you consider it does not take a lot of quality for City to be caught out - just a bog standard ball into the box or a ball through the middle has them at sevens and sixes. And the boy Krul is going to be a massive liability. He was not considered EPL by Newcastle or Brighton, but City give him a new contract. 

Norwich City need to follow the example of Watford. They conceded a lot of goals in the Championship when they went up (at the same time as Norwich) but then made some very astute defensive signings that summer and have never been in any serious danger of going down since.

Verdict: every single Canary fan should wish they were owned by Gino Pozzo instead of Delia as the latter is clueless about defence and always will be.

23 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Once again your pessimism is disappointing.

8 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

bottom of the EPL

You'd love that @Big Vince, wouldn't you - chance to come on here and say you were right all along after being wrong this season.

Miraculous 17th for me.......very hard season but I can't bring myself to predict anything lower

A finish between 8th and 12th was my end of season intuition. Incredibly bold I realise. But if pushed for an actual position I'm going for 9th.

I think 14th is achievable with a couple of astute defensive acquisitions.

16th.

I know we've got a good side but I remember people talking about us challenging for Europe after we went up with Worthy and we all know how that ended up.

Congratulations also to LDC for making the most ridiculous prediction in a thread where someone said we'd finish 21st in a 20 team league.

• Haha 3

We were every bit as good as Wolves were the season before, so my heart says 7th. However, this is arguably the strongest the Premier League has ever been so my head says 19th. But what does my head know? It predicted 8th last season when my heart said we could win the league. Heart 1, head 0.

58 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You never fail to deliver...

You seriously cannot believe your own drivel.

For me,

At this point there is nothing to suggest we should come above any current PL team apart from Brighton.

Villa will strengthen and will be the best equipped of the 3 promoted clubs to stay up,

Inevitably there will be a couple of clubs who under perform, so its a fight for 17th.

53 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Norwich City will finish as the highest scoring team ever to wind up bottom of the EPL. For me, City have still not got to grips with the age-old problem of conceding too many goals. Including the two full-backs, they play with 8 attackers and just 3 defenders. We know in the EPL you can lose the ball in the opposition penalty area and two passes later it is in the back of your own net. To concede 57 goals as Championship winners is a very high number and unless quality defensive players are brought in this could rise to 100 in the EPL. Especially when you consider it does not take a lot of quality for City to be caught out - just a bog standard ball into the box or a ball through the middle has them at sevens and sixes. And the boy Krul is going to be a massive liability. He was not considered EPL by Newcastle or Brighton, but City give him a new contract. 

Norwich City need to follow the example of Watford. They conceded a lot of goals in the Championship when they went up (at the same time as Norwich) but then made some very astute defensive signings that summer and have never been in any serious danger of going down since.

Verdict: every single Canary fan should wish they were owned by Gino Pozzo instead of Delia as the latter is clueless about defence and always will be.

After the first 6 games only 3 teams conceded fewer goals than Norwich. I'm going to keep repeating this every time someone falsely suggests that we were poor defensively. We have an outstanding defence when you consider our attacking style of play. You couldn't improve it without spending £10m+ on a player, which we are not going to do.

18 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

You never fail to deliver...

You seriously cannot believe your own drivel.

For me,

At this point there is nothing to suggest we should come above any current PL team apart from Brighton.

Villa will strengthen and will be the best equipped of the 3 promoted clubs to stay up,

Inevitably there will be a couple of clubs who under perform, so its a fight for 17th.

That's your point of view, as illustrated by the bit that says 'For me'

What if 'for me' I don't agree with you? Perhaps LDC's 'for me' is different to yours?

So, just let people say what they want without attacking them hey? Unless it's something clearly horrid that deserves attacking. Like racism or homophobia etc. That'd be... I dunno... 'for me'... nice.

Might not be for you.

Edited by BobLoz3