23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm going out on a limb here and suggest Todd will be in and around the first team squad. Farke is not afraid to give him an opportunity and I think he will next season too. Last season he played for the best side in the Championship and I see no value in sending him out on loan next season to that league. He'd gain nothing other than keeping fit. 

I agree.

Pointless sending him out on loan.

Cantwell's only 21 and I think he should stay. Like BigFish has said I reckon he's going to get hardly any game time this season due to Onel, Emi and the arrival of Roberts. Yes he did play a big part of the autumn, but this was only his first season playing for the first team and so I can't see him ready for the top flight. I think sending him out on loan to a championship club would at least keep his current skills going, and if we go straight back down we would at least have some cover for the loss of players.

Seems like we're split on this, I'm for sending him on loan to the Championship, only because he's not going to get games in the Premiership and a full season in the Championship will benefit him. 

Sitting on our bench all season isn't going to develop his game and he only played about half the season last year. No one knows the details of what he's been offered but I trust Webber to do the right thing for the Club. 

Cantwell is a decent and improving player who is rated by Farke. None of us know what he’s been offered.Personally I have no issue with the player or his agent holding out for a good deal providing the negotiations don’t create any bad feelings however Cantwell does need to decide what he wants without too much more of a delay.The longer he takes to decide the more likely Webber is going to need to look at players who play in the areas that Cantwell plays. If he drags out signing he may even be making getting a start more difficult for himself. I sincerely hope the club have been fair to the player more so given the importance the leadership attach to team morale. Equally one hopes the player or his agent have not overestimated his worth. Hopefully this is a storm in a teacup. Cantwell has a shot a playing Premiership football at 21. Gift horse and mouth. 

I'm not a massive fan of Talk Norwich City but i would certainly recommend watching  their interview with Todd Cantwell. It's really good.

Nobody has mentioned that attacking players normally carry a premium and it could be that the agent actually wants more than Aarons, Lewis etc. Of all the hyped young players on loan in the Championship last season,who was clearly better than Cantwell? Harvey Barnes and maybe the lad at Wigan?

4 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Nobody has mentioned that attacking players normally carry a premium and it could be that the agent actually wants more than Aarons, Lewis etc. Of all the hyped young players on loan in the Championship last season,who was clearly better than Cantwell? Harvey Barnes and maybe the lad at Wigan?

Harry Wilson?

Mason Mount?

Cantwell did well last season but he was a rotational player for most of the season.

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Seems like we're split on this, I'm for sending him on loan to the Championship, only because he's not going to get games in the Premiership and a full season in the Championship will benefit him. 

Sitting on our bench all season isn't going to develop his game and he only played about half the season last year. No one knows the details of what he's been offered but I trust Webber to do the right thing for the Club. 

Agree with this. 

He hugely benefited from a solid run of games in Holland. I think a season in the Championship as a first choice would help him immensely. Of course this is only if we can tie him down to a longer deal this summer.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

Harry Wilson?

Mason Mount?

Cantwell did well last season but he was a rotational player for most of the season.

From what I've seen and read both were good but inconsistent- which was what Todd was before his injury. Arguably you could say he had hit consistency before his injury as he was our best player in several games. I think most championship clubs will be salivating at the thought they may be able to get him on the cheap, however I'm confident he'll be staying.

11 hours ago, ricardo said:

I agree.

I totally disagree and think that he should be sent to a mid-low champs team, not because that's where his talent lies (he is clearly better than that) but because so far he has been at a team who got promoted in Holland and been in our squad last year, having a season of plying week in week out and having to really battle as one of the best players in the team for results will teach him a lot more than going to another team who are winning more often than not and being able to coast through some matches.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

From what I've seen and read both were good but inconsistent- which was what Todd was before his injury. Arguably you could say he had hit consistency before his injury as he was our best player in several games. I think most championship clubs will be salivating at the thought they may be able to get him on the cheap, however I'm confident he'll be staying.

Both were key players in a team that got to the playoff final and started the majority of games. Todd was a good squad player for us but not at that level. 

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

I agree. 

What has Cantwell done in the last 12 months to push any of our starting midfield out of the side?

Do you think he will be able to displace Roberts?

Don't get me wrong, I rate Todd but I just cant see him getting a starting spot and with his age being of critical year he needs to be playing regularly.

Mid/upper table championship side starting berth would be excellent for his development and we would be able to reap the benefits after his time there. 

The one big issue that Cantwell and his manager need to factor into their calculations is Webber ( I’m sure they have). Webber could buy someone as good as or better than Cantwell if Cantwell and his agent ask for too much. The argument that an attacking player is worth more than a defender is not applicable here as Cantwell made few goals or assists last season. Webber might actually be better off selling if Cantwell is no longer committed to the cause (which his continued refusal to sign a new deal might indicate).

Webber can use the money from selling Cantwell to fund a replacement and possibly come out with either a profit or with a better player.

Cantwell might get better terms from another Championship club or by making a move elsewhere such as Scottish or Dutch leagues where he is likely to get more game time. Alternatively he can back himself to continue improving and get a shot at Premiership football next season. It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

By rights Todd Cantwell should become a City stalwart for a long time to come, local lad, academy product, obvious talent, good head, well handled and now with a decent grounding in the game at a fairly high level.

That he is not considered ready for the lofty heights of the Premier League just yet is emphasised by the general feeling, on this forum at least, that  Farke was perhaps amiss to play him ahead of both Leitner and Vrancic when Buendia was banned.

The finer points of positioning supported the manager, but he nevertheless relented and Cantwell was dropped.

If then TC, a talent for sure who has done well is not seen as quite ready for top-level Championship football on a consistent basis then, unless he metamorphosises into a Georgie Best over the Summer, he sure as hell has fires is not ready for the Premier League.

It would be a massive pity should he be lost to the club though.

A season on loan at a decent Championship club might well bring him on that extra bit so that, if we survive, he will have a role the season after this one. If we  fail he will surely have major role to play in our next Championship campaign.

This all is, of course, the view of the idealist and before the influence of money, agents and, dare I say, young men getting ahead of themselves takes over

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Honestly I think the situation will sort itself out though ironically us getting promoted means there is a bit of uncertainty as to what Todd's role is at the moment.

All it would take would be a goal on the opening day off the bench and then a solid run of form and he would be asking for £40k a week as interest from elsewhere would quickly start arriving.

More likely, he will be a fringe/bench but still useful player or he will be back in the champs for a season.

I suspect it will be late August before he gets a new deal.

I think a whole season of starting games in the Championship would benefit him greatly. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

Problem is, he may well go on loan to the Championship, but I certainly don't think he would be starting every game. 

If we wanted to send him on loan in order to get as many games as possible playing competitive English football, I think he will have to drop a division as many of our young players have done recently.  However, I don't think Todd would be prepared to drop down to League One.

Just now, norfolkbroadslim said:

Problem is, he may well go on loan to the Championship, but I certainly don't think he would be starting every game. 

If we wanted to send him on loan in order to get as many games as possible playing competitive English football, I think he will have to drop a division as many of our young players have done recently.  However, I don't think Todd would be prepared to drop down to League One.

Why do you think that?

I saw enough from Todd this season to say he'd be a more than capable starter for the right team in the Championship. For me the bigger issue is finding a team who play decent football to send him to.

Probably wouldn't happen but I think he'd do very well from a season at Leeds...

Derby? My housemate is a Derby fan and mentioned they have quite a few upcoming youth in their system as they look to overhaul their ageing squad. Cantwell could do the loan business there?

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Why do you think that?

I saw enough from Todd this season to say he'd be a more than capable starter for the right team in the Championship. For me the bigger issue is finding a team who play decent football to send him to.

Probably wouldn't happen but I think he'd do very well from a season at Leeds...

I think he is still lightweight and lacks consistency.  He wouldn't be starting every game for Leeds.  There is no shame in a loan move to a lower league.  We've done it with loads of players recently and it didn't do them any harm. It's regular, competitive games in this country that Todd needs. 

I agree that playing for the best teams isn't necessarily the best for development.

Also, as much as we rate him - Leeds/Derby are unlikely to loan a player who scored once and got 2 assists for the best team in the league. 

I would be surprised if he gets many opportunities next season. With Roberts coming in, I think he has dropped another place in the pecking order. I reckon we might bring another in who can compete in that position too.

There is no shame in going on loan to a mid/lower table championship side. Godfrey developed hugely from a stint in the third tier - it's all about minutes, experience and good coaching at a critical part of their career. Reece James didn't have a bad season at a Wigan team likely for the drop...

That said, if Farke thinks he can step up again this year... then I'm all for it.

9 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I agree that playing for the best teams isn't necessarily the best for development.

Also, as much as we rate him - Leeds/Derby are unlikely to loan a player who scored once and got 2 assists for the best team in the league. 

I would be surprised if he gets many opportunities next season. With Roberts coming in, I think he has dropped another place in the pecking order. I reckon we might bring another in who can compete in that position too.

There is no shame in going on loan to a mid/lower table championship side. Godfrey developed hugely from a stint in the third tier - it's all about minutes, experience and good coaching at a critical part of their career. Reece James didn't have a bad season at a Wigan team likely for the drop...

That said, if Farke thinks he can step up again this year... then I'm all for it.

I'd imagine teams will look at more than just goal and assist stats when it comes to a new signing. I think any championship side looking for a midfielder who is composed on the ball, has a good range of passing and generally plays without fear could do a lot worse than Cantwell.

I agree there is nothing wrong with going to a mid level Championship. My concern is more style of play. Would a season at a team that likes to play very direct really help equip him for success here? Not for me. However if a team like to play with the ball on ground he could learn a lot.

Brentford wouldn't be a bad move for Cantwell, assuming they'd be interested of course.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Brentford wouldn't be a bad move for Cantwell, assuming they'd be interested of course.

Them or Swansea (if they keep the style from last season under a new manager) would be great shouts. Somehow hadn't thought of Brentford!

I've got a feeling we might hear about a new contract for Todd

He has posted a picture on Istagram  of him in his Norwich kit with "pending - stay tuned...."

I assume that means he's about to announce a nee contract 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest a loan out to a Championship club, to keep him playing and moving forward.

Promotion has required a rethink, as I presume player development was based on us being a Championship club this season. Similarly Idah would have been looking to step up to the first team squad, but not in the PL yet.

If Todd does sign then that is great news, however it won't mean an automatic squad place. he has time as has the club and he will develop far better in a decent Championship team than he will being part of a 25 man PL squad.

1 hour ago, Chichcan said:

I've got a feeling we might hear about a new contract for Todd

He has posted a picture on Istagram  of him in his Norwich kit with "pending - stay tuned...."

I assume that means he's about to announce a nee contract 

Fingers crossed- even if he doesn't end up fully making the grade here a new, long term deal would mean we can at least sell him for a decent fee down the line.