With all the recent discussion surrounding the need for an enhanced strike force for next season and subsequent column inches devoted to Jordan Rhodes, Dwight Gayle and others, including Adam Idah, the current situation regards Srbeny has been largely overlooked.The overall impression from the few references on here to the player seem to assume that he will have no role to play in our impending Premier League squad.

Although he failed to fire the imagination when he first arrived, and had one or two vocal critics as well, there is no doubting that the player seems to have improved a deal since his arrival at Carrow Road. He has, for sure, had some good moments on recent occasions when he has been given a chance.

Has he a place next season or should he now be moved on to more suitable pastures? He was after all a Daniel Farke pick and our manager seems to know a good'un when he sees one.

Edited by BroadstairsR

He always looks lively in his cameo appearances, and offers something a bit different. I wouldn't be too unhappy with him as 3rd choice (along with a 2nd choice around Pukki's level).

My instinct is to sell him. 

Depends on lots of unknowns, such as how he feels about not playing, the level of interest there might be in him, Norwich’s plans with bringing in other strikers etc. 

If he spends another season at Norwich doing very little then it will be hard to get any kind of fee for him at the end of it. I don’t think he really looked good enough for the Championship. 

I thought his appearances last season were all generally good - he was a little unlucky like Rhodes was with the form of Pukki or he'd have got more game time. Like above, he offers something different.

He really didn't have a long enough showing last season to make a judgment. I feel it will be, what Farke and his team see in training.

He is one of only two strikers we have in the squad with any first team experience. In addition he would be unlikely to be able to find a move that offers him anything like the opportunity he has at Norwich right now. There is no way we are going to sell him.

Did really well coming on against Birmingham in the first match, playing deeper and his direct running caused some problems for their defence and definitely helped us towards getting the result we did after being behind.  Chances limited after that of course, but did ok when called upon and seems like a player who will give his all. 

• Like 1

The continental Wilbraham. 

Would keep him for the odd 10 minute cameo when chasing a goal but I'd be concerned of he ever had to start a game.

Don't see any major reason to move him as I doubt he is on much at all. He has proven useful from the bench.

That said, we desperately need to sign another striker or two. If Srebeny is third choice in the prem, then I think we're in trouble.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Would keep him for the odd 10 minute cameo when chasing a goal but I'd be concerned of he ever had to start a game.

Talking of Wilbrahamovic... His beard and fake tan combo that he has going on right now is very unsettling.

As for Srbeny... I like him. Worth remembering he scored two goals against a completely crap Cardiff side (who were in the Prem at the time).

Actually. Forget that. It counts for very little! But I think he's got something a bit different to offer and may well stick around the squad next season.

I just wrote a piece on the Idah thread exactly noting this issue.

I believe it was Alan Pardew who said you need 4 strikers in the prem., I would agree.

The modern premier League teams first 11 also includes the rotation of many of the extended squad. Therefore If Srbeny was sold, and Oliveira left as we all expect, it would not be a good position to be in. So for me I cannot see him moving on at all.

I do not think you shoe horn Roberts, as I have seen some mention on this board, in to the striker position.

Srbeny is going to be here as 3rd or 4th striker. We need a player to challenge pukki who will actually get more game time than we think, as Farke is going to need 2 very capable strikers. The third could be a loan from a prem team or a hidden gem from overseas.

I do respect the view of not changing a winning team, but it is a squad game and we will need goals from our number 2 striker too and Srbeny may get his chance with injuries, suspensions etc.

Let's not forget Lambert bringing in Steve Morrison and I believe he and grant Holt had 20ish goals between them. I think we need the same situation this upcoming season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smooth said:

I do not think you shoe horn Roberts, as I have seen some mention on this board, in to the striker position. 

Yeah I saw people saying the same thing... Roberts is a winger/attacking midfielder.

By absolutely no stretch of the imagination should he be playing up front alone... My goodness he'd get completely bullied in the Prem trying to play him like that.

39 minutes ago, CanaryChris said:

First it was Jordan Roades and now poor Dennis has fallen victim to his name being spelt wrong...

Thanks.

Duly corrected.:classic_huh:

• Thanks 1

It is difficult bringing in hidden gems and also prem youngsters on loan if they are not guaranteed game time. So our striker, possible strikers, search is a tough one.

I think Srbeny is safe at the club and will get game time

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yep, was literally thinking of Wilbraham under the Lambert prem years when Srbeny was mentioned. Not really good enough for the division but is a little bit different and unpredictable and likely on low wages.

13 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I know this wont happen....but in premier league circles I'd actually rather have oliveira than rhodes...and obviously srbeny

As a player I can understand the argument (though I still think Rhodes is better) but after everything that’s happened, his attitude on the pitch and the fact he was frozen out completely from a squad that then subsequently won the league as a unit, not as individuals, Oliveira has no place anywhere near the club.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

As a player I can understand the argument (though I still think Rhodes is better) but after everything that’s happened, his attitude on the pitch and the fact he was frozen out completely from a squad that then subsequently won the league as a unit, not as individuals, Oliveira has no place anywhere near the club.

THIS.

No place for sentiment as we move onwards and upwards with forward planning for life in The Premiership so time to move a very very limited footballer on.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

No place for sentiment as we move onwards and upwards with forward planning for life in The Premiership so time to move a very very limited footballer on.

Will let the management team decide this one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Will let the management team decide this one.

Indeed we will but just thought i would join the other 50 or so wannabee managers and coaches who post on here. 😉

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Just because you were quite clearly proved wrong on the claim he's no better than what you see down Sloughbottom Park doesn't mean you have to be so quick to dismiss..

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Indeed we will but just thought i would join the other 50 or so wannabee managers and coaches who post on here. 😉

Wanabees ? When I looked after an under 12s team they won five and drew three out of the eight matches they played 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Just because you were quite clearly proved wrong on the claim he's no better than what you see down Sloughbottom Park doesn't mean you have to be so quick to dismiss..

Busy day at the office yet again i see hoggy. Blimey i am retried with spades of time on my hands but having a job keeping up with you these last few weeks on here and other internet forums.

Anyway my initial response to watching him play was that he was very limited in several aspects of his game hence the Sloughbottom Park reference and in my opinion nothing much has changed at all and if you think he justifies a squad place next season as we look to secure a footing in The Premiership i most certainly do not.

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Wanabees ? When I looked after an under 12s team they won five and drew three out of the eight matches they played 😁

With a record like that you are more qualified than some on here that is for sure FF. 😂

Edited by TIL 1010

Srbeny..let alone the likes of Franke, Marshall, Oliveira , Husband and Raggett, whilst we may think some/all should be moved on they all presumably have just been given a nice promotion increased weekly wage... and would be well within their rights to sit tight and do nothing

Srbeny hasn’t done anything wrong. When he’s played he’s done ok and in the game against Cardiff last year he was very good. The issue for him is game time. Either a cup run or a loan might be the best he can hope for. I don’t think he’s incapable of playing Premiership football. Cardiff were a premiership team last season. As a 3rd or 4th striker he’s fine. He could still improve.

I think most people accept that he's not going to challenge Pukki or our 2nd striker, if we get one in. 

We need a 3rd option, something different and while he's unlikely to set the Premiership alight, he's handy to bring off the bench. 

He's clearly cheap and low maintenance yet, looking back, made the occasional contribution to the cause, Brum, Cardiff and Wednesday for example. 

I think he stays, especially as we only have one other striker atm.