Alex Moss

Tim Krul signs new 3 year contract

Fantastic news.

And yes, the debate can end now. I trust (and applaud) Farke and Webber’s judgement.

It won’t take long for ’Fans’ to rant and moan again about Krul. They’re wrong.

I still worry he won’t make the step up - a good number 2 for next season but think we ought to be looking for competition

its easy to feel positive having just won the championship but he was shaky at times last season and, in my opinion, one of the weakest links in a great side 

will put on my tin hat and await the abuse..

If I was Tim I certainly wouldn’t take any grumbles from the minority personally, he’s a pro and will know the goalkeepers position is always the most heavily criticised - every keeper gets it, and I mean every keeper, no keeper is exempt at any club. Personally I think he’s a great player, and I’m always amazed that keepers in general don’t make even more mistakes. I thought Tim had a great season, am very happy to have him here, and I look forward to watching him in his prime years with NCFC.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Can we hopefully bring the Krul debate to an end, for now at least?

Absolutely not. Where would be the fun in that?😎 I am not convinced about Krul, but we shall see. In any event, McGovern is about to turn 35 while Krul has only just had his 31st birthday, so a new three-year contract doesn't mean the club see him as lasting that long as first-choice.

It could be the assumption is that at some time in those three years he will become the back-up. With any new keeper we do bring in this summer being not so much an obvious starter but someone young, willing to wait his time, for a bit anyway.

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Absolutely not. Where would be the fun in that?😎 I am not convinced about Krul, but we shall see. In any event, McGovern is about to turn 35 while Krul has only just had his 31st birthday, so a new three-year contract doesn't mean the club see him as lasting that long as first-choice.

It could be the assumption is that at some time in those three years he will become the back-up. With any new keeper we do bring in this summer being not so much an obvious starter but someone young, willing to wait his time, for a bit anyway.

Yes I don't think this contract precludes us from signing another keeper.

• Like 1

Good news. I wonder who we think we could realistically buy who would be a significant step up from him to justify the outlay? In a perfect world we stay up next season, Southampton go down / don't play him enough and we get Angus back.

At this point in time, with our stature and budget, Krul is more than capable.  The fact he was considered one of our weaker links, despite being capable, shows how good every other position has been.

All the Germans: I agree we have a strong team- and I look forward to letting them have a good go at it next year. But I do worry, just a little, that the club is planning to go at the prem a little too prudently. if we are too cheap in how we approach it then it will quickly turn sour if some of the players are shown to be not up to the standard...

Think this is a good move all round. I agree he will likely be paired with an equal quality goalkeeper for competition next season, which would be great for the club, but thats also 3 more years of him here to mentor young defenders and goalkeepers, which shouldnt be undervalued 

25 minutes ago, M the Canary said:

Still think we will sign another keeper as competition for krul 

Agreed. McGovern as one injury away from our starting lineup is suicide. Not even good enough backup for the Championship. We need a backup / starting competitor keeper. No question.

12 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

All the Germans: I agree we have a strong team- and I look forward to letting them have a good go at it next year. But I do worry, just a little, that the club is planning to go at the prem a little too prudently. if we are too cheap in how we approach it then it will quickly turn sour if some of the players are shown to be not up to the standard...

Prudence is the sensible avenue. We need to and will invest decent money in players but we need to do it in a prudent, sensible, and sustainable manner. I do not think, without blowing a significant portion of our budget, that we can improve the GK position. If we were to buy Gunn or equivalent, which, would improve this position, it would cost 10m at the bare minimum (probably more), if we did that and then couldn't afford a decent striker to compete with Pukki or midfielder for Trybull / Tettey, it would be much worse. Still need backup though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes I don't think this contract precludes us from signing another keeper.

Exactly. Although it does perhaps suggest that what I thought was likely (we would sign a youngish goalkeeper who we would be looking to make first team in a  couple years but also a potential immediate option if Krul has a rough patch) is more likely than an immediate number one replacement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

its easy to feel positive

You seem to generally struggle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very happy about this, Krul is a quality keeper whose stock is on the up. He will be right back on it next season, his injury will start to look smaller in the rear view mirror and he will start pre season somewhat more confident than last season.

Also, you just cannot fault his attitude, it's brilliant to watch him galvanise his back four and rev up the crowd.

• Like 1

Congratulations Tim, good luck for next season!

Good to see our Championship winning players being rewarded, so well deserved .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I still worry he won’t make the step up - a good number 2 for next season but think we ought to be looking for competition

its easy to feel positive having just won the championship but he was shaky at times last season and, in my opinion, one of the weakest links in a great side 

will put on my tin hat and await the abuse..

May have made mistakes but kept us in many a game last season. A cracking keeper, richly deserved new contract. No abuse. Many will have their doubts, but it has to be realised he was coming back from one of soccers most serious injuries, with little game time to boot when he donned the yellow and green. You don’t become a failure overnight, as a 2014 World Cup Keeper!!

I like Tim but it worries me that he regularly miss-kicks  balls out of play and makes an occasional catastrophic mistake 

I can't recall Angus Gunn making similar mistakes on a regular basis or even on an occasional basis 

19 minutes ago, Taylor324 said:

I like Tim but it worries me that he regularly miss-kicks  balls out of play and makes an occasional catastrophic mistake 

I can't recall Angus Gunn making similar mistakes on a regular basis or even on an occasional basis 

I think the comparison between Krul and Gunn in terms of mistakes is somewhat unfair. I know Krul made more mistakes than Gunn but we have played a far more attacking brand this season compared to last season's more defensive approach.

I admit to not knowing the shot count each faced or number of saves but just thinking about the games we played, more instances of end to end matches come to mind this season than last. 

Take out the first five games where not only was Tim rusty but the whole team was shaky and unsettled then I can only think of a few major errors that led to goals. Yes there were others that gave us all heart palpitations but nothing came of them this year and he has only gotten better as the year has progressed. If he continues this along with the rest of the team then I am very excited to see where we end up because I do not think it will end in relegation.

Gunn got beaten at his front post too easily at least two or three times. He also got beaten by a few longer range shots where I thought his starting position was fairly poor. 

Every keeper will make the occasional “clanger” but it’s also about those smaller mistakes like those above which sometimes the keeper doesn’t get the “blame” for but actually the keeper is just as much at fault for. 

Watch the Pinkuns shows ‘The champions’ for a full comparison to Gunn (and Ruddy).

Yes Krul has had more errors leading to goals (however as mentioned, in a much more attacking side)but in every other area, Krul comes out on top.

Has had a fantastic season, crucial to our success in many ways and was free. Not sure what fans expect. 

He also knows the PL, has a full season of football following a long spell out, will get a full pre season and is at a perfect age for a gk.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Taylor324 said:

I can't recall us paying 15 million for Krul either, which is what we'd have to pay to eradicate those mistakes, regular or otherwise. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Watch the Pinkuns shows ‘The champions’ for a full comparison to Gunn (and Ruddy).

Yes Krul has had more errors leading to goals (however as mentioned, in a much more attacking side)but in every other area, Krul comes out on top.

Has had a fantastic season, crucial to our success in many ways and was free. Not sure what fans expect. 

He also knows the PL, has a full season of football following a long spell out, will get a full pre season and is at a perfect age for a gk.

All of this.

14 hours ago, Taylor324 said:

We will never know but I suspect with Gunn in goal we would have finished mid table. Tim organised 4 young players and gave everyone complete confidence to play the Farke way, with no worries of how he was perceived by the fans. He became better game by game, showing he is moving back to his prime. At Villa he looked immense catching anything launched high in our box.