Sign in to follow this  
wcorkcanary

For anyone interested in watching Adam Idah play.

Nice one. Could be good to watch. I see Ireland are already leading? Half time so not sure what the score is.

He just tucked away a penalty - cool as a cucumber (hate that phrase, already regret typing it).

Idah for designated penalty taker next season!

• Like 1

Do we think Idah is ready though, really, for the first team? Like, even for a spot on the bench?

I would suggest that the answer is no. Farke and co haven't even sent him out on one of these loans yet, that they tend to do with a younger player when they think they'll break through. On the other hand, could be that they just feel he needs to stay around the team, as he's done so well in the U23's.

It's a weird one.

6 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Do we think Idah is ready though, really, for the first team? Like, even for a spot on the bench?

I would suggest that the answer is no. Farke and co haven't even sent him out on one of these loans yet, that they tend to do with a younger player when they think they'll break through. On the other hand, could be that they just feel he needs to stay around the team, as he's done so well in the U23's.

It's a weird one.

A lot depends on our business over the summer, will we get another front line striker in? Will Dennis be moved on? Does Rhodes still have a future here?... yes there's certainly potential there but he's very young and he'd be better off on loan for a season, if we can spare him. 

I've said before, if he were to go on loan I would of thought it would happen in January. I'd think he was either considered too young for a loan or they wanted him to stick around. Will be interesting to see if his name is included on the preseason fly sheet.

A lot will come together in the next month

Can't see Rhodes coming back due to a combination of him being overpriced and questions about his pedigree at the highest level; Srbeny clearly isn't going to be Premier League quality and I'm certain will go out on loan or move on this summer; we'll definitely bring in one more player to provide competition for Pukki and I believe Patrick Roberts can play up top if we were pushed by injuries so I suspect that may be it in terms of incoming forwards - It would definitely be good to have a young striker on the bench who could potentially come on if we were either well ahead or (hopefully not often) impossibly far behind in a match and get some experience, at least in the first half of the season. He'll be 19 by the time the winter transfer window shuts and at that age if he's not made his senior debut yet then surely he's going to be asking questions about whether he wants to stay, especially if he comes out of this U21 tournament tipped for big things.  I'd keep him around personally and then look to loan him out for the second half of the season if he's not getting any game minutes. 

A lot will depend on what kind of loan move Norwich could potentially find for Idah. I can’t imagine any Championship clubs will want him, and debatable if a League One club would take a risk on him. 

Would Idah gain much from going to League Two or the National League and getting kicked about for a year? Maybe he should go to Dortrecht as their seems a good link there. 

As he only turned 18 a few months ago, I don’t think another year in Norwich U23s would be the worst thing for his development. A bad loan would certainly be worse. 

• Like 1

Aarons made his debut at 18 so it's not beyond the thinking that an 18 year old can come and play in the first team.  Sometimes I think players are molly coddled too much and I hope Idah will not be loaned out and continue in the u23s, be in or aound the first team squad and even on the bench sometimes - and get his chance in cup games where he will show if he is ready or not. 

To be sure Farke will bring him in as soon as he thinks he is ready to step up.

Aaron’s is a great example, didn’t go out on loan and was put into the team when it was deemed he was ready.

I'm sure Farke will give Idah a chance in pre season if he is anywhere near the first team

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Aarons made his debut at 18 so it's not beyond the thinking that an 18 year old can come and play in the first team.  Sometimes I think players are molly coddled too much and I hope Idah will not be loaned out and continue in the u23s, be in or aound the first team squad and even on the bench sometimes - and get his chance in cup games where he will show if he is ready or not. 

To be sure Farke will bring him in as soon as he thinks he is ready to step up.

I’d say a season in the U23s is more ‘molly coddling’ than being sent out to play senior football in the lower leagues. 

Every player develops differently and development is non-linear, so some will go up and down or have sudden bursts of improvement. 

No coach could claim with certainty what is the best route for each player. Some flourish while on loan, some don’t. Aarons and Lewis were both fine being dropped straight into then Norwich first team, Cantwell and Godfrey both benefitted from loans. 

Idah can show case himself with the Ireland U20s team this summer. If Norwich get some good interest in loan deals then that might be the best path for him. 

I cannot recall which manager it was, I believe it was Pardew, but he noted you need 4 strikers in your premiership squad.

I think it makes a fair bit of sense and for me shows how tough this summer is as if pukki loses form or gets an injury we are in a terrible situation.

I would keep srbeny here as 3rd of 4th* choice meaning we need at least 1 more senior striker. Last season Farke did not rotate and stuck to, you keep the shirt when you are in a winning team. It is a great philosophy but in the premier League he can also look to other managers who rotate as their first 11 really is a first 17. We cannot afford to have a striker who would be on the bench at number 2 coming on for the last 10 minutes and being told he is number 2. The second striker position is critical for us this season but it would also seem we would be short on strikers even with 1 addition. Srbeny cannot go on loan or be sold due to him now being Pukkis back up.

Idah is a player I would love to see in and around the squad and maybe he will be. We just need to make sure we are not light in numbers upfront in this division.

* I mention 4th choice as in an ideal world we would be able to attract that 3rd choice striker. Maybe another prem loan or a hidden gem. But I do feel even our second striker would be a hidden gem and finding a few hidden gems is a hard thing year after year.

Edited by smooth
Change string to striker

23 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Every player develops differently and development is non-linear, so some will go up and down or have sudden bursts of improvement. 

No coach could claim with certainty what is the best route for each player. Some flourish while on loan, some don’t. Aarons and Lewis were both fine being dropped straight into then Norwich first team, Cantwell and Godfrey both benefitted from loans.

Sometimes the only way you know if a player is ready is by putting him straight in there.  It's the same with most performing professions - a young person can have all the skills in a job but be deemed by his elders as too young, not ready, inexperienced, etc etc - but in reality, quite often it is the older people holding the person back too long and the opportunity is then gone for a young person to shine - they can lose interest/confidence/belief if they are held back too long.

I'm not saying Idah is ready, I wouldn't know, but if it was me, I would be looking to give him an opportunity as soon as is possible - give him a taste of first team football and see how he reacts.  If he does well (as Aarons plainly did in those cup games) then you know you have a young player who can contribute.

You could send him out on loan and although he would get some competitive experience, would he be a better player for it? Not necessarily. It's difficult as a striker to prove themselves - wherever he went he would be young and inexperiened and not guaranteed starts. If he failed to score straight away, he could be deemed as not good enough and most of the time stuck on the bench, whereas at Norwich he would have an everything he needs to push on to the first team and we all know Farke would give him every opportunity to progress to the first team and as a striker. 

With us needing (imo) 4 strikers, he could well fill that fourth slot, get time from the bench in cup games for experience, maybe some starts in the cup if deemed up to it - and keep him in the mindset that he is going to achieve at the highest level. 

40 minutes ago, smooth said:

I cannot recall which manager it was, I believe it was Pardew, but he noted you need 4 strikers in your premiership squad.

I think it makes a fair bit of sense and for me shows how tough this summer is as if pukki loses form or gets an injury we are in a terrible situation.

I would keep srbeny here as 3rd of 4th* choice meaning we need at least 1 more senior striker. Last season Farke did not rotate and stuck to, you keep the shirt when you are in a winning team. It is a great philosophy but in the premier League he can also look to other managers who rotate as their first 11 really is a first 17. We cannot afford to have a striker who would be on the bench at number 2 coming on for the last 10 minutes and being told he is number 2. The second striker position is critical for us this season but it would also seem we would be short on strikers even with 1 addition. Srbeny cannot go on loan or be sold due to him now being Pukkis back up.

Idah is a player I would love to see in and around the squad and maybe he will be. We just need to make sure we are not light in numbers upfront in this division.

* I mention 4th choice as in an ideal world we would be able to attract that 3rd choice striker. Maybe another prem loan or a hidden gem. But I do feel even our second striker would be a hidden gem and finding a few hidden gems is a hard thing year after year.

Pardew played with 2 strikers, teams that only play 1 don’t need 4 in the squad. That just leads to having a Becchio who never gets a game, costs decent money and grumbles. 

• Like 2

I agree bethnal, with 1 upfront you can go down to 3. But I still think it is a risk when goals are so important in this league.

I would expect our 1 and 2 striker to get most game time and 3rd striker to get limited time unless injuries to either striker 1 or 2.

I was an advocate of Pukki, Another, Rhodes, Srbeny or Idah but as that seems a stretch for Rhodes, it makes it difficult to see how we can afford 4. Unless we believe Srbeny and Idah can both be of help in the prem squad.

It is unlikely we will have 4 but I do see the benefits of 4 in our situation and for me an ideal situation would be Pukki, a new striker from Europe, Srbeny and 1 Loan premier League youngster or another hidden gem.

But as I have noted hidden gems are hard to find and to bring 2 in is difficult and bringing in a loan with no guarantee of first team action will turn a few prem clubs off

2 minutes ago, smooth said:

I agree bethnal, with 1 upfront you can go down to 3. But I still think it is a risk when goals are so important in this league.

I would expect our 1 and 2 striker to get most game time and 3rd striker to get limited time unless injuries to either striker 1 or 2.

I was an advocate of Pukki, Another, Rhodes, Srbeny or Idah but as that seems a stretch for Rhodes, it makes it difficult to see how we can afford 4. Unless we believe Srbeny and Idah can both be of help in the prem squad.

It is unlikely we will have 4 but I do see the benefits of 4 in our situation and for me an ideal situation would be Pukki, a new striker from Europe, Srbeny and 1 Loan premier League youngster or another hidden gem.

But as I have noted hidden gems are hard to find and to bring 2 in is difficult and bringing in a loan with no guarantee of first team action will turn a few prem clubs off

A 4th striker is pretty pointless in my opinion. Any player Norwich could get to fulfil that role would be not good enough to actually worth having on the pitch. I’d rather the club jus play Stiepermann as a striker (a role he has played before) rather than spend money on someone who is never going to play. 

No club would loan a young player to be 4th choice and no player of sufficient quality would want to be 4th choice. 

I don’t believe there would actually be a need for a 4th choice striker. To have 3 strikers all injured/suspended at the same time is highly unlikely. I heard that the chance of a third choice keeper getting a game is 0.03%, while strikers are more likely to be rotated etc. I’d imagine a 4th choice striker getting game time in a team that starts with 1 striker every game is going to be almost as unlikely. 

Yeah it seems fair in regard to our tactics and with our current stock of strikers.

With our current striker crop (with the exception of Oliveira) of pukki, srbeny as senior strikers on the books it makes sense for one more key striker and hence with the funds we have concentrate on 1 addition in this position. Will Morris and, to a point, Idah develop next season so in 2020 we see them bridge that gap? That will be a great side story to watch next season.

With the lack of funds and shopping list of more important positions, we can leave this position till next year.

Right now, Defensive midfield position upgrade is critical, with right back and goalkeeper cover. With a good look at another potential number 10.

It feels to me as though had we stayed down Idah probably would have been involved next season and also that we are going to have to play him or get him some good regular game time somewhere sooner rather than later or he may start to get a bit frustrated. He's scoring all the time for Ireland at whatever youth level he plays. I really hope we can find him the right loan - I must confess I was a bit surprised we sent that highly rated young centre back out on loan to such a low level the other day and don't see that being right for Idah.

I did hear a whisper that we were trying to keep him as low profile as possible and get him on a longer contract so that may be why he has not gone out on loan to date and he sort of disappeared from the U23s for a few weeks last season - the cat seems to be largely out of the bag though. 

I wont try to predict Adam Idah's future but i can relate to his past. i have watched him since he was 11 or 12 at every level, Club, County/League, Schoolboy International and now at u21, he has met all challenges head on, to be fair , he's bit of a cool dude, took his pens the other day as if they meant nothing.( making it 4 goals in 2 u21 apps.). Stephen Kenny, Irelands u21 manager, who will become senior manager once the Euros are done( the plan for him to succeed Mick McCarthy has already been announced) thinks very highly of him. Our Clubs handling of him must be spot on as we have a big, strong,fast bundle of talent in him.

Small piece of follow up info Ireland U21  4th in Toulon tournament after losing 4-3 on pens(0-0) to Mexico. Idah scored his penalty(again).He didnt start the game as the Manager wanted to give game time to lads that hadnt played much.