Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Felix Passlack

29 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He was the captain of the German Under-17 team four years ago, and has since represented them at Under-18, 19 and 21 level. He may not have progressed much in the last couple of years, but if he had developed as people had hoped then he wouldn't be available to join a club like Norwich.

The talent is clearly there and has been recognised by top coaches, and bearing in mind that he only turned 21 last week, time is certainly on his side. If we can get him on the cheap then surely he's worth a punt.

It’s a no brainer for me, Wacky. 

From another point of view - I can't really see him being interested in coming back. He knows he is at a vital point in his career after not playing many minutes in the last few years.

I am not sure he would back himself to get the minutes he needs after how far away from the team he was last year.

2 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

From another point of view - I can't really see him being interested in coming back. He knows he is at a vital point in his career after not playing many minutes in the last few years.

I am not sure he would back himself to get the minutes he needs after how far away from the team he was last year.

But how far away from the team was he in all honesty? Sure, started off behind Marshall and Pinto, but pretty sure as the season progressed, he became number 1 in line to come in for Aarons should he get injured/suspended. Of course, that never happened and the rest is history as they say.

Also, wasn't on the bench as much as he probably would have been due to the homegrown rule in the champs, we had too many foreign starters ahead of him. In the prem the rules are more relaxed so I would expect to see him on the bench (and then come on as a sub) more often since he can play in at least two positions...

9 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

But the idea he should be discounted because he couldn't usurp two quality, quality full backs from their starting berths in the previous two seasons is a nonsense. 

It isn't that he couldn't usurp Aarons.

It is that at the start of the season he couldn't usurp Ben Marshall

Then when it was decided Marshall wasn't the best fit at right back Farke hapilly went with an unproven 19 year old over him.

Then even when we had to reshuffle the defence in December due to Lewis being out, Farke preferred to have Pinto on the bench over Passlack.

And even as the season came to a close we persisted with two central defenders on the bench over him.

8 hours ago, jk147 said:

Now now that’s not what I said. All I meant was that your appraisal that he wasn’t getting into hoffenheim’s team therefore isn’t good enough is probably harsh.

That also isn't what I said- the Hoffenheim loan would be totally irrelevent if he'd come in and done well here. Instead he's spent two seasons being farmed out on loan and has a sum total of 10 appearances to show for it.

8 hours ago, Bill said:

Exactly, and I would imagine his time here this season was to progress his development rather than be an automatic choice.

It might not to have been an automatic choice but I'd bet you they were expecting him to achieve more than he did here.

9 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I've no idea if he'd be a good signing, but if Webber and Farke think he can do a job then I'll be pleased we've filled a need position with a free transfer. 

Yeah sure- but Farke has spent an entire season with Passlack and at no point thought he was up to it in the league so I'm not sure he's suddenly going to think he's got it in the Premier League.

8 hours ago, jk147 said:

There are a few players who haven’t played much for Chelsea I’d have. Would you say they’re not good enough? Finished 3rd this season. 

There is also a few players who haven't played much for Sheffield United this season- want to sign them? 

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

But how far away from the team was he in all honesty? Sure, started off behind Marshall and Pinto, but pretty sure as the season progressed, he became number 1 in line to come in for Aarons should he get injured/suspended. Of course, that never happened and the rest is history as they say.

I honestly think quite a way off. He only made the match day squad for 6 league games last season and made one appearance for 6 minutes.

He would have to be incredibly optimistic to think he will get substantially more minutes next season. Which is why I could see him wanting to go somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

His WAG is simply stunning he must be signed up

Let others judge my friend.

image.png.8d3395a88e485c930be255d1045d810c.png

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah sure- but Farke has spent an entire season with Passlack and at no point thought he was up to it in the league so I'm not sure he's suddenly going to think he's got it in the Premier League.

Pure and lazy speculation. You've no idea whether Farke didn't feel he was up to it. We only know he felt Aarons was the better option for the majority of the season. His omission from the bench probably had more to do with the homegrown rule than Farke lacking faith in him. 

We'll see I guess; if Farke and Webber pass up the opportunity (assuming he's willing to come here and fight Aarons, which is no given) then they obviously don't think he's up to it. If we sign him then they obviously do and it's shrewd business filling in a hole in the squad for free and saves more of our limited budget for other acquisitions. 

But again, using his limited opportunities here and at Hoffenheim as a reason to dismiss his worth, when you assess the context of their respective squads, isn't sensible analysis in my untrained eyes. 

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Pure and lazy speculation. You've no idea whether Farke didn't feel he was up to it. We only know he felt Aarons was the better option for the majority of the season. His omission from the bench probably had more to do with the homegrown rule than Farke lacking faith in him. 

We'll see I guess; if Farke and Webber pass up the opportunity (assuming he's willing to come here and fight Aarons, which is no given) then they obviously don't think he's up to it. If we sign him then they obviously do and it's shrewd business filling in a hole in the squad for free and saves more of our limited budget for other acquisitions. 

But again, using his limited opportunities here and at Hoffenheim as a reason to dismiss his worth, when you assess the context of their respective squads, isn't sensible analysis in my untrained eyes. 

A good point well made but what is your view on the quality of his WAG? 

4 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

This^^^

He was always going to be a developing player to start with and not an automatic first choice, we had Marshall and Pinto - experienced and supposedly up to the job players. He and Aarons were next in line,  Aarons was deemed further ahead, enough to be given the shirt.

So Aarons kept him out of the team, simple as that. Was Passlack a key cog in the machine? Yes, of course, if Max had been injured/suspended he would have been there as back up. 

Will he be wanted back?  Will he want to come back?  Two questions we don't know the answer to, but there is no reason to suppose he wan't good enough to play, just that he didn't get the chance to establish himself as a first team player because of who else was in the squad ahead of him.  A development player, still developing, he knows the club, he is familiar with what is expected and if it works for him and the club, we should welcome him back.

• Like 1

He asked to leave Norwich in December due to not getting enough minutes.

I can’t see why he’d now want to sign permanently for the club. 

Also, he wouldn’t be free. The Pinkun reported that, but I haven’t seen it anyway else - so with two years on his contract there would still be a fee due for him. Probably not huge, but Passlack has a good reputation in Germany still and I can see a club there paying a few million for him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

there is no reason to suppose he wan't good enough to play, just that he didn't get the chance to establish himself as a first team player because of who else was in the squad ahead of him.

What on earth are you on about Lakey ? Pinto was not fancied throughout last season by Farke, Marshall was pants and was moved out on loan at the first opportunity and a rookie got in ahead of him for goodness sake. He had a chance early on in the season in the Carabao cup games to claim a spot in the squad and again if i recall correctly in January in the FA Cup but after all those games he disappeared again off the radar. Plainly not in Farke's thinking at all.

Edited by TIL 1010

My concern would be that a young lad, that has hardly played in this country, and lacking in physicality, could be thrown into a Premier League season if Aarons got injured. Max was phenomenal last season, and took to professional football like a duck to water, but not every youngster is going to be the same. And, if Passlack did struggle, the pressure of the situation could really hamper his development. For me, he looks like a player that if he was already on our books, we'd be trying to send him out on loan to the Football League to aid in his development.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

What on earth are you on about Lakey ? Pinto was not fancied throughout last season by Farke, Marshall was pants and was moved out on loan at the first opportunity and a rookie got in ahead of him for goodness sake. He had a chance early on in the season away at Wycombe to claim a spot in the squad and again if i recall correctly in January in the FA Cup but after both games he disappeared again off the radar. Plainly not in Farke's thinking at all.

To be fair, I can see what LDC is getting at, but therein lies the problem - could we throw in a rookie right back into a Premier League game? He got hardly any game time last season, and was hardly ever on the bench. Farke obviously didn't fancy him, and how would that change if he continues getting no games for us?

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This^^^

He was always going to be a developing player to start with and not an automatic first choice, we had Marshall and Pinto - experienced and supposedly up to the job players. He and Aarons were next in line,  Aarons was deemed further ahead, enough to be given the shirt.

So Aarons kept him out of the team, simple as that. Was Passlack a key cog in the machine? Yes, of course, if Max had been injured/suspended he would have been there as back up. 

Will he be wanted back?  Will he want to come back?  Two questions we don't know the answer to, but there is no reason to suppose he wan't good enough to play, just that he didn't get the chance to establish himself as a first team player because of who else was in the squad ahead of him.  A development player, still developing, he knows the club, he is familiar with what is expected and if it works for him and the club, we should welcome him back.

What nonsense.

"A key cog in the machine?" FFS.

4th choice right back, behind Ben Marshall a right midfield who has since been loaned out.

A ageing Ivo Pinto who has been allowed to leave for free

And a lad who had never played a professional game.

"He was always going to be a developing player to start with and not an automatic first choice?" Like Dortmund would fancy that.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm using the evidence in front of me. 

In my opinion he had two obvious chances to win the starting right back spot- at the start of the season and when Marshall was dropped. In the first instance Farke preferred an out of position midfielder and in the second he preferred an untested 19 year old. Neither of these things scream that Farke felt he was up to it. Yes it is speculation but I don't think its hugely far fetched to use 'getting picked to play' as a measure of how highly a manager rates a player.

25 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

"A key cog in the machine?" FFS.

4th choice right back, behind Ben Marshall a right midfield who has since been loaned out.

A ageing Ivo Pinto who has been allowed to leave for free

Yes, a key cog in the machine.  Marshall and Pinto were given the chance to show what they could do with Passlack waiting in the wings. Marshall and Pinto weren't good enough and it was only Aarons' development, which must have taken everyone by surprise that pushed back Passlack, who would have originally been third choice - there would have been no other. And then needed for back up if Aarons had been injured/suspended. So yes, a key squad member - otherwise he would have been allowed to return to his home club.  

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, a key cog in the machine.  Marshall and Pinto were given the chance to show what they could do with Passlack waiting in the wings. Marshall and Pinto weren't good enough and it was only Aarons' development, which must have taken everyone by surprise that pushed back Passlack, who would have originally been third choice - there would have been no other. And then needed for back up if Aarons had been injured/suspended. So yes, a key squad member - otherwise he would have been allowed to return to his home club.  

Jesus wept.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

So I assume Brian McGovern was also a key cog in the 01/02 playoff season?

And Keith Briggs in 03/04?

And Oli Johnson in 10/11?

You all bit. 

I'm keeping my troll toll for the next bridge.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The delusion continues.

He played 6 minutes of league football all season (according to Transfermarkt). Absolutely key. Vital, some might say. 

Tell us again about how much better you are at motivating a squad of players than Pochettino and Klopp...

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

You all bit. 

I'm keeping my troll toll for the next bridge.

You gotta pay the troll toll

To get into this boys soul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, king canary said:

If he hadn't failed to get in the team at Hoffenheim the loan wouldn't have been terminated early...

Harry Kane's loan with us was cut short due to circumstance too... he did alright after that.

Gotta be an option though hasn't he? It's about fitting the right skill sets. He clearly has the potential. Perhaps one for the u23s development squad?