Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Felix Passlack

Can join us on a 'free'.

Thoughts are that until the transfer window closes we have no guarantee that any of our current squad will be here.

The question is he up to what's needed as cover and could he develop as have so many others.

For my part I would say yes to signing him.

• Like 1

Yes me too. We need right back cover and he has plenty of potential. DF will know how much and if he's worth the risk I'm sure.

hard to say without seeing him play too much! if Farke and Webber think he's good enough that's enough for me, no secrets that we need a right back and if he knows the club and is a good fit it could be a good deal for everyone.

Edited by jk147

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not sure I actually saw him play, but if DF/SW liked what the saw of him last season then I guess it’d be a no brainer.

I can’t see how any of us can form a view having hardly seen him kick a ball in a game, it’s a judgement for DF and SW who will know how he trained and interacted with the group.

Edited by Van wink

He looked ok, and I sure it was Aarons progress that kept him out of the squad

However he will need to be able to step up to PL standards, not simply be a 'spare' and signed because he is cheap(er)

Watching him did suggest he could play further forward in a more 'midfield' role

But it is really about his ability not simply the cost

42 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Isn’t that effectively what I said?

Agree

Yep, let's sign the guys who's spent the last two seasons failing to make any impact on loan and who couldn't get into the squad over Ivo Pinto this season.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yep, let's sign the guys who's spent the last two seasons failing to make any impact on loan and who couldn't get into the squad over Ivo Pinto this season.

eh ?

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

eh ?

His season before this was spent on loan at Hoffenheim which was cut short as he couldn't get into the first team.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

His season before this was spent on loan at Hoffenheim which was cut short as he couldn't get into the first team.

or in reality it was ended at exactly the same time he joined City

and given his age (20, two days ago) he doesn't have to be named as part of the 25 man squad

he is younger that Cantwell, Godfrey and Lewis yet you are talking about him as some seasoned pro who has failed

signing him would seem to fit in perfectly with the club's long term aim

Obviously technically gifted. And was previously highly thought of. No idea where his expectations are on playing time and wages.

I do think we can do worse as a secondary right back.

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

or in reality it was ended at exactly the same time he joined City

and given his age (20, two days ago) he doesn't have to be named as part of the 25 man squad

he is younger that Cantwell, Godfrey and Lewis yet you are talking about him as some seasoned pro who has failed

signing him would seem to fit in perfectly with the club's long term aim

'On 30th August 2017, Passlack extended his contract with Borussia Dortmund and was loaned out to Hoffenheim for two years. The loan spell at Hoffenheim was terminated early in July 2018.'

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

'On 30th August 2017, Passlack extended his contract with Borussia Dortmund and was loaned out to Hoffenheim for two years. The loan spell at Hoffenheim was terminated early in July 2018.'

and as stated he signed for us on 2nd July 2018

coincidence ?

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

and as stated he signed for us on 2nd July 2018

coincidence ?

If he hadn't failed to get in the team at Hoffenheim the loan wouldn't have been terminated early...

1 hour ago, king canary said:

bit harsh maybe? he's only 21. 

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

If he hadn't failed to get in the team at Hoffenheim the loan wouldn't have been terminated early...

What?! A teenager who couldn't break into a Champions League team?! And he couldn't even push a player like Max Aarons, who's probably only the brightest prospect to come out of our academy since Bellamy or Eadie, out of the starting eleven. 

Must be sh*t. 

Edited by canarydan23

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

In fairness, Hoffenheim finished 3rd in the Bundesliga the season he was there, so not entirely shocking that he wasn’t getting too much game time.

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

What?! A teenager who couldn't break into a Champions League team?! And he couldn't even push a player like Max Aarons, who's probably only the brightest prospect to come out of our academy since Bellamy or Eadie, out of the starting eleven. 

Must be sh*t. 

Or he couldn't get in the starting xi over Ben Marshall. Or the 18 over Ivo Pinto when Lewis got injured.

He might go on to be a good player. I'm just baffled people think a player who wasn't trusted to play in the Championship will be good enough for the Premier League.

4 minutes ago, jk147 said:

bit harsh maybe? he's only 21. 

Loads of players are only 21, isn't an argument for signing him.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

and that is why no one is putting that argument forward

1 minute ago, Bill said:

and that is why no one is putting that argument forward

As far as I can see nobody has out forward any argument for signing him. 

Easily one of the best players on the pitch against Bournemouth last season. Aaron’s was outstanding in the league so no problem with Felix not breaking into the side, that’s totally understandable. Really hope he comes back here - I’ve a feeling that this isn’t the last we’ve seen of him.

The reasons people felt he was the next big thing at Dortmund don't vanish because he played second fiddle to a Czech international right-back worth millions and an incredible English talent whose fans fear could be snaffled by a Champions League side. 

I've no idea if he'd be a good signing, but if Webber and Farke think he can do a job then I'll be pleased we've filled a need position with a free transfer. 

But the idea he should be discounted because he couldn't usurp two quality, quality full backs from their starting berths in the previous two seasons is a nonsense. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

The reasons people felt he was the next big thing at Dortmund don't vanish because he played second fiddle to a Czech international right-back worth millions and an incredible English talent whose fans fear could be snaffled by a Champions League side. 

I've no idea if he'd be a good signing, but if Webber and Farke think he can do a job then I'll be pleased we've filled a need position with a free transfer. 

But the idea he should be discounted because he couldn't usurp two quality, quality full backs from their starting berths in the previous two seasons is a nonsense. 

Exactly, and I would imagine his time here this season was to progress his development rather than be an automatic choice. His pedigree up to now is of the highest with international appearances at most levels up to this season.

One of our successes has been finding players who have 'lost their way' a bit, and then getting them back on rack.

Pukki had dropped away after Celtic, Krul rattling around in Brighton's reserves with both Trybull and Leitner having similarly fallen away.

Had anyone really heard of Onel, Buendia or even McLean before they joined us. Or Zimmerman, Vrancic and Steiperman ?

Passlack looked good when he did play. he won't be a big financial gamble if he does sign, and will not take up a place in the 25 man squad. Sign him, and maybe let him out on loan to a Championship club until Xmas to get game time and see where we are then.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Now now that’s not what I said. All I meant was that your appraisal that he wasn’t getting into hoffenheim’s team therefore isn’t good enough is probably harsh. There are a few players who haven’t played much for Chelsea I’d have. Would you say they’re not good enough? Finished 3rd this season. 

Says a lot that marshall was allowed to be shipped off. If there was no use in passlack being here why did the club and Dortmund keep him here until the end of the season?

think dan is spot on.

Edited by jk147

He was the captain of the German Under-17 team four years ago, and has since represented them at Under-18, 19 and 21 level. He may not have progressed much in the last couple of years, but if he had developed as people had hoped then he wouldn't be available to join a club like Norwich.

The talent is clearly there and has been recognised by top coaches, and bearing in mind that he only turned 21 last week, time is certainly on his side. If we can get him on the cheap then surely he's worth a punt.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1