Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Mouras

On 02/06/2019 at 14:31, Hoola Han Solo said:

Exactly. A boring old fart from Cumbria knows much better than a world-class manager who’s been in football for 30 years. Levy is now on the phone to LDC offering him the job.

First signing Borussia Dortmunds Felix Passlack who played a key role in Norwich Citys promotion to the Premier League.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CDMullins said:
On 02/06/2019 at 14:31, Hoola Han Solo said:

Exactly. A boring old fart from Cumbria knows much better than a world-class manager who’s been in football for 30 years. Levy is now on the phone to LDC offering him the job.

First signing Borussia Dortmunds Felix Passlack who played a key role in Norwich Citys promotion to the Premier League

Oh, so he wasn't part of a promotion winning squad then.  Silly me. 

I get it, only players who are seen to do the business on the pitch are allowed to take any credit for the promotion, so there is nothing in the "we're all in it together" approach the club have been pursuing.....so in that case, the other squad players might as well not be there.....

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I get it, only players who are seen to do the business on the pitch are allowed to take any credit for the promotion, so there is nothing in the "we're all in it together" approach the club have been pursuing.....so in that case, the other squad players might as well not be there.....

You called him a 'key cog.'

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Kane at his best is a top striker, but when he is not on it, he is one of the least effective there is - he had a barren spell a while ago where he looked like he would never score again.  

Eh? Ignoring the rest because others are already making you look a little silly, but Kane is one of the best CF's in the world. When he's not scoring he still stays in the team because he is good at holding the ball up, has great link up ability, good movement and decent physical presence too.

Club goals scored by Kane in last four seasons: 128

Club goals scored by Moura in last four seasons: 49

Pochettino has no idea what he's doing.

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Missed a key word out there haven't you old boy. Literally

Just now, lake district canary said:

And so he was. If he wasn't an important part of the squad he would have been allowed to leave when he asked to.

digginghole.jpg

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

And so he was. If he wasn't an important part of the squad he would have been allowed to leave when he asked to.

No. No he wasn't.

If Felix Passlack had not been at NCFC last season, it would not have made even the slightest of difference. To claim he was an important back-up player is fiction because he literally played less than ten minutes in the league. A key player is one whose absence makes the squad or team weaker - that was definitely not the case with Passlack.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Kane at his best is a top striker, but when he is not on it, he is one of the least effective there is - he had a barren spell a while ago where he looked like he would never score again. 

Eh? Ignoring the rest because others are already making you look a little silly, but Kane is one of the best CF's in the world. When he's not scoring he still stays in the team because he is good at holding the ball up, has great link up ability, good movement and decent physical presence too.

Funny, I thought his main reason for being in the team was to score goals.......

So most of you are saying that a non match fit Kane is better than a fit and confident player who scored a hat trick in the semi-final and who must be full of confidence.  I see.  Your opinions are valid and I understand them, but there are plenty of people who thought it was a wrong decsion to play him, me included.   

7 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

If Felix Passlack has not been at NCFC last season, it would not have made even the slightest of difference. To claim he was an important back-up player is fiction because he literally played less than ten minutes in the league. A key player is one whose absence makes the squad or team weaker - that was definitely not the case with Passlack.

The whole point of how well we have done is that everyone is important. It is enshrined in the philosophy of the club.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

The whole point of how well we have done is that everyone is important. It is enshrined in the philosophy of the club.

I totally agree with all that you've said there - however, that doesn't make Passlack a key cog.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Which fundamentally makes the term 'key' utterly meaningless. If everyone is key then nobody is key.

If we'd have terminated Passlacks loan spell and instead kept Ben Marshall there would have been zero difference. That isn't key.

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Why is Tottenham dross being discussed on this forum.

Don't really know.  What comes out of it for me is that Kane is seen as some super hero of a player who should play at all costs, when for me he has always been a bit one dimensional and when not in goal scoring form is not offering much more than a link role to midfield and little or no goal threat.   So if he wasn't totally match fit and sharp and not going to score, who was? It was agamble to play him and "hope" he would be the man to inspire Spurs.

He wasn't.

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Image result for dig hole deep

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Which fundamentally makes the term 'key' utterly meaningless. If everyone is key then nobody is key.

If we'd have terminated Passlacks loan spell and instead kept Ben Marshall there would have been zero difference. That isn't key.

Pukki, key

Passlack, key

Buendia, key

Odusina, key

LDC, surplus to requirements

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Which fundamentally makes the term 'key' utterly meaningless. If everyone is key then nobody is key. If we'd have terminated Passlacks loan spell and instead kept Ben Marshall there would have been zero difference. That isn't key. 

Yeah, I don't know why people got so hung up about the word "key" - and you are right - they were all key parts of the squad.  So why don't people like the thought that Passlack was important...is it because they think he wasn't good enough? Again, if he was thought not good enough, he would have been allowed to leave.....

Edited by lake district canary

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Don't really know.  What comes out of it for me is that Kane is seen as some super hero of a player who should play at all costs, when for me he has always been a bit one dimensional and when not in goal scoring form is not offering much more than a link role to midfield and little or no goal threat.   So if he wasn't totally match fit and sharp and not going to score, who was? It was agamble to play him and "hope" he would be the man to inspire Spurs.

He wasn't.

164 goals in 253 Spurs appearances. 

Roighto, have stayed out of this as didnt want to join in disagreeing with LDC, there's enough already doing that. We kept Passlack for some reason, not sure why, probably as the management wanted to monitor and develop him, could be something as simple as his fitness levels, maybe not, but if we hadnt wanted him he would have gone back, he didnt. As far as the future goes if SW/DF feel he is worthy of a place in the squad then fine by me.

Now to Harry Kane  ( National Treasure),  decent all round centre forward in a very decent team.  Didnt look 100% fit in a must win game against a better team. I am using my Masters degree in hindsight to deduce that it was a mistake to play him. Will Gareth Southgate play him v Holland on Thursday ? given that VVD had him 'in his pocket' in  CL final...... i don't know, but he'd be very brave not to, which may turn out to be wise or may not.  A fully match fit Kane is an obvious starter but f he's not at 100%  (which is doubtful given time out, lack of recent playing time etc), then its a no from me. Just checked the stats and Vardy (retired) and Sterling ( not really a CF) are as prolific as Kane this season. Callum Wilson is the next in line (on PL goals) followed by Glenn Murray !! so not a wealth of choice from them, suspect that if not Kane, it will be Rashford at CF.

51 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yeah, I don't know why people got so hung up about the word "key" - and you are right - they were all key parts of the squad.  So why don't people like the thought that Passlack was important...is it because they think he wasn't good enough? Again, if he was thought not good enough, he would have been allowed to leave.....

People get hung up on it because words have meanings.

If you'd said he was a 'cog' in the machine nobody would have batted an eyelid. Key is defined as 'of crucial importance' (or 'a small piece of sharp metal inserted into a lock to open or close it'). 

If Passlack was 'key' then wtf was Pukki? It can't be key because then you're saying they were of the same importance which is clearly nonsense.

59 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He wasn't.

**** me.

If Kane is one dimensional that is a hell of a dimension.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

He wasn't.

I gave my reasoning for agreeing Kane should start which were based on their record once he got injured, playing with a false 9 or a central striker (Llorente). I really don’t understand why some think it was the wrong decision to pick one of, if not the best striker in the PL in the last few years. Thoughts LDC?

Also you mention Farke and playing players in form. Absolutely he has shown he will keep faith with players. He’s also shown that some players will come straight back in when fit and ready...Buendía and Pukki. You can’t compare our situations by saying Rhodes is the equivalent of Moura in the scenario as one is a striker and the other a midfielder.

Without Kane or Llorente in the team, Spurs were playing with a false 9, which simply didn’t work. With all players fully fit (only Kane himself would’ve known how ready he was) why on earth would they continue to use a formation that has contributed to them losing recent games (including to Bournemouth and West Ham) rather than revert to the formation that won them the vast majority (if not all, can’t be bothered to check) games in the PL this season.

Forget Kane’s inclusion, the question should be should Moura have started ahead of either Ali, Eriksen or Son? 

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

I gave my reasoning for agreeing Kane should start which were based on their record once he got injured, playing with a false 9 or a central striker (Llorente). I really don’t understand why some think it was the wrong decision to pick one of, if not the best striker in the PL in the last few years. Thoughts LDC?

Also you mention Farke and playing players in form. Absolutely he has shown he will keep faith with players. He’s also shown that some players will come straight back in when fit and ready...Buendía and Pukki. You can’t compare our situations by saying Rhodes is the equivalent of Moura in the scenario as one is a striker and the other a midfielder.

Without Kane or Llorente in the team, Spurs were playing with a false 9, which simply didn’t work. With all players fully fit (only Kane himself would’ve known how ready he was) why on earth would they continue to use a formation that has contributed to them losing recent games (including to Bournemouth and West Ham) rather than revert to the formation that won them the vast majority (if not all, can’t be bothered to check) games in the PL this season.

Forget Kane’s inclusion, the question should be should Moura have started ahead of either Ali, Eriksen or Son? 

Your knowledge of Spurs tactics/players is better than mine.  My attitude is more instinctive - a player being out for eight weeks cannot be fully sharp and match fit.  Kane is not a super human player - he is as prone to having not scoring spells just the same as any striker - and if he isn't scoring, he looks distinctly ordinary.   Given that a striker needs to be totally on top of his game to be at his best, having had so long off and this was his first game back, then to rely on that as your main weapon was always asking for trouble. 

Also, pychologically for the team it is saying "it's ok we have Kane back you'll be ok" which makes them think they rely on him, rather than saying to the players "I trust you and you are good enough to do the job, Kane or no Kane".

Kane would have - imo - made more of an impact coming off the bench, not having to play the whole 90 minutes and perhaps boosting Spurs at a time of the game when they really needed a boost. Just my opinion of course - but it seems to me as if Pocchetino got it wrong, both in terms of the game, the message it sent out to his players and particularly to Moura, who spurs fans are saying they will be surprised if he doesn't ask for a move after that.  

Pocchetino set the team up around a player that had been off for eight weeks. Not a good idea.....even if it was Kane.  He may be a prolific goal scorer, he may even inspire the players, but imo it was a naive decision, based on hope and sentiment rather than common sense.