Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Webber man of integrity

It makes a very welcome change that in this world of money, highly inflated transfers and cheating players that we are led by a man of total integrity, always says it as it is!!! Best reassurance we could have had !

I’m not sure Huddersfield would say the same. 

Wagner was quite public of his criticism of Webber. The quote was something along the lines of ‘he could have left through the front door, but he chose another way out’. 

Wagner was also miffed that Webber had arranged the new contract for Wagner, to be activated on promotion. In the negotiations Webber had talked about how he intended to stay at Huddersfield for the next couple of seasons, only to then walk out. Which is kind of what Webber said he wouldn’t do to Farke. 

Webber is great at his job and Norwich are massively fortunate to have him. But he is also an expert with the media and knows what to say and when. Which is one of his big strengths. I just wouldn’t take anything he says too literally. 

• Like 1

Even a man of integrity can have one mistake - I judge him based on what we have directly seen, we don’t know the Huddersfield context, the draw of actually being with your wife may have played apart! 

Didn't Huddersfield cut back on their Academy from Category 2 to Category 4, which puts more emphasis on the older age groups? In other words they want somebody else to do the investing at the younger age range. Wasn't this part of why Webber left?

Why are we always looking for leaders to be paragons of virtue?

He is doing a great job. I don't need him to be the Angel Gabriel too. 

• Like 1

There were very valid reasons for Webber to leave Huddersfield - I’m not arguing against that. I’m very, very glad he did leave. 

It was that the club and Wagner, were both unhappy in the manner in which Webber left. I felt that knowing how he’d fallen out with Huddersfield in the past made his comments in the interview clip released today more interesting. 

It seems Wagner got over the initial disappointment and him and Webber still get along. But his quotes just after Webber left were still interesting as you don’t normally get such a quote. 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It was that the club and Wagner, were both unhappy in the manner in which Webber left. I felt that knowing how he’d fallen out with Huddersfield in the past made his comments in the interview clip released today more interesting. 

Could be that he learnt from that and would make sure any exit he made in the future was better executed.

I actually think the one thing Webber would need to  work on if he ended up somewhere like Man U would be his PR and media. I imagine his 'if you didn't enjoy that you should go and support someone else quote' would have been a much bigger deal at a club like Man U.

Having grown up supporting Norwich in the chase era , to date the sun shines out of Webber’s —se for me! He will go at some point but he hasn’t hid that - but let’s enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

He's a top, top man. I can't wait to see what he brings and I do genuinely believe that he wants to be here this season, at least, to see what else we can achieve. His stock will only rise with this latest Premiership experience, so we should enjoy him while he's here.

BYG is completely right though. He's fantastic with handling the media and I would expect that his approach in that regard is filtering down throughout the club too. All part of why we don't have this 'disconnect' so much now between the fans and the team.

Anyway. He's made no secret that he'd like to move on, but what would be more impressive than going to a club which already has the glory and all the money he could ask for? Helping in establishing us as a proper top flight team and eventually pushing for higher positions in the Prem.

I don't know how you can leave by a back door and not the front.  Wagner might have been miffed because Webber didn't say anything to him about it beforehand, but then that happens in all sorts of job changing situations.

Huddersfield brought on his leaving themselves - and to his credit Webber wasn't sucked in to thinking he had made it just getting to the PL.  He wanted more than just that - he wanted the club structure to be right and Huddersfield did not do that.

You do get the impression that he has more say over what happens at Norwich and that he will be able to shape things how he wants more than he was allowed to do at Huddersfield - and that must be appealing to him and likely to keep him here longer. 

He will go eventually, but no reason to think he will be chasing money or status for the sake of it. For him to want to leave, either the conditions would have to have changed here and any job offered to him from elsewhere would have to be having full control, as he has here.

Speculation will happen - it is a positive thing - it shows we have an exceptional person as Sporting Director.

• Like 2

Webber is going to walk out on us eventually, whether he remains for 1 season or 10, when he leaves he will be criticised by many and called Judas and greedy, but he's just ambitious.

In regards to leaving Huddersfield, he was given the chance to work with his wife, so was just as much a family decision I think.

And Wagner walked out on Huddersfield too, at least Webber left them at the top, not bottom.

Football is all about 'right place, right time' however long that is. 

The important thing Norwich have established is a clear identity. 

The last time we had that we brought in Chris Hughton who tried to play his way with the wrong players and against fans expectations. 

Whem SW goes the philosophy must remain and we must recruit to it just as we now do with players who fit the personality mould. 

I genuinely can't tell if he is a man of integrity or not and to be honest o don't really care as long as he does a decent job and is at least not lying when he talks in terms of not leaving us in the lurch. My first thought on seeing that interview yesterday with the various heavy hints dropped about waiting to stay for a while is that he may be eyeing an improved deal himself at the club and not adverse to using the Man U speculation as part of that process. I don't really have a problem with that as its how football works.

Said it on other thread but while I agree it was a good interview by Webber, the standout thing for me is confirmation there has been no contact from Man U. If there had been a serious interest the story might be different. It’s very easy to say the things he said when there’s no serious interest from a bigger club.

Maybe Salford City showed interest in Webbo?.....Once he's proved himself there, it's just a short trip to Manchester Utd.... 😉

Fact is no one can tell if he is a man of integrity, until after he leaves.

Only then we we be able to judge.

It will all depends on the terms and conditions that he leaves under.

Perhaps at the end of his reign only Delia and Michael will be able to answer that.

But by his recent statement all seems good for the more immediate future, and that’s all anyone can say in football.

Integrity is very much about saying it as it is - as city fans we cannot deny he has done that from the start - most transparent we have ever had, which has helped build our connection to the club. No doubt he will leave in 1 to 3 years, and as long as he does it in the same ‘ honest’ ‘transparent ‘ way we cannot have anything to moan about. Just a couple more seasons please!!! 

15 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

Integrity is very much about saying it as it is - as city fans we cannot deny he has done that from the start - most transparent we have ever had, which has helped build our connection to the club. No doubt he will leave in 1 to 3 years, and as long as he does it in the same ‘ honest’ ‘transparent ‘ way we cannot have anything to moan about. Just a couple more seasons please!!! 

That's...not what integrity means.

16 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

No, that isn't integrity. And Webber's plain-speaking is sometimes pretty obviously motivated by self-interest - making out he inherited a total shambles when that is questionable - and not always to be trusted.

On 31/05/2019 at 03:11, Ramrod said:

Why are we always looking for leaders to be paragons of virtue?

He is doing a great job. I don't need him to be the Angel Gabriel too. 

Amen to that!

• Haha 1

Much like Farke I expect him to be here for a few years yet. Farke won't go in the next three years unless he's sacked or has a massive fallout with the owners

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, that isn't integrity. And Webber's plain-speaking is sometimes pretty obviously motivated by self-interest - making out he inherited a total shambles when that is questionable - and not always to be trusted.

If he inherited a total shambles does that imply the Delia and Michael were not involved ?

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

He did inherit a total shambles, both on and off the pitch. A first team that had 3 number 10’s but only one full back, an ageing squad living off what they achieved 2 years previous, a bloated wage bill, a financial position which meant the club wouldn’t have been able to meet its liabilities, a training ground that once was state of the art but by that point was out of date despite 4 years of premier league money, a scouting network Thad seemed to letch from one misguided strategy to the next and a complete disconnect between the club and supporters.

Sounds like an utter shambles to me 

41 minutes ago, Essex_Canary said:

Thad seemed to letch from one misguided strategy to the next and a complete disconnect between the club and supporters.

If the scouting network was letching when it should have been scouting, I'm surprised they weren't arrested.

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

If he inherited a total shambles does that imply the Delia and Michael were not involved ?

Depends whose weather house you consult...

Integrity is demonstrated in many forms, doing what you say you will, speaking with openness and honesty are just one of them!!!!

5 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

If the scouting network was letching when it should have been scouting, I'm surprised they weren't arrested.

Perhaps Bielsa could have used this excuse when his spies were caught in the bushes......😱

11 hours ago, Essex_Canary said:

He did inherit a total shambles, both on and off the pitch. A first team that had 3 number 10’s but only one full back, an ageing squad living off what they achieved 2 years previous, a bloated wage bill, a financial position which meant the club wouldn’t have been able to meet its liabilities, a training ground that once was state of the art but by that point was out of date despite 4 years of premier league money, a scouting network Thad seemed to letch from one misguided strategy to the next and a complete disconnect between the club and supporters.

I agree it doesn’t sound good, although you are “doing a Webber” and deliberately painting a negative view. It could also be described as a club that had backed its previous managers and chief execs. In my limited knowledge of other clubs, it is  no worse than many of its peers, and indisputably better in terms of end results.

12 hours ago, Essex_Canary said:

A club with no internal debt. A club with no external debt. A club that could and did meet all its financial responsibilities. A club connected well enough to the supporters that a multi-million pound bond issue was sold out within days, with would-be investors missing out. A club owning its ground. A club owning its training ground. A club with a Category One academy. A club with a scouting network and the kudos to get stars in the making such as Maddison, Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis. If those crucial essentials had not already been solidly in place Webber would not have joined the club, and he would not have been able to address the less fundamental problems there were.

• Like 1