We've just come out of a long championships season where we've only really used 2 strikers, I think Srbeny played in midfield as much as he did up front.

I think we'll go in with 3 out and out strikers plus a player like Roberts who can cover there.

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That seems a bit unrealistic to me.  We have had Pukki and Rhodes on the pitch at the same time at various times this season, usually when chasing a game - and we are quite likely to have to do that more next season. So with two strikers more often going to be needed on the pitch, to have just one other striker looks a bit thin, with possible injuries/suspensions.

Would you go into a season with just three centre backs in the squad when two are needed each match?

Very different situation with centre back and strikers. Norwich started every game with 2 centre backs. Norwich never started with 2 strikers. 

So if you play a formation with 2 centrebacks, most teams would want 4 players who can cover that position in the squad. If you play with one striker, most teams will want to go with 3 players in the squad.

Added to that, strikers are the most expensive players, in wages and fees. Any sensible squad management means you don’t sign one to be around but never really make the bench, let alone the pitch.

As King Canary so correctly points out, Norwich did this season with 3 strikers and Srbeny barely got a touch. With the tight budget Norwich have I can’t see them wanting to add an additional player to that area. 

4 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Perfectly appropriate word when you attempt to renegotiate (note the difference in meaning in contrast to 'negotiate', which you have used here) a previously agreed figure. 

If there was a clause in a contract stating the 7m agreement, we could not renegotiate and would simply have to abide by it. If it was inserted as an option (for one of or either teams) then the very key word here is option. In any business, if there is an option and your circumstances change, you are well within your rights to walk away. Equally, if your circumstances have changed but you still have an interest you may try to make it work by exploring different avenues. Nobody is holding hostages or pointing guns at anyone, it is an entirely reasonable and widely used business practice, in every industry. To suggest it is shameful is naïve, at best.

(All of the above entirely ignoring the fact that Webber has now said there was never anything related to the 7m and working on the premise this may have been the case)

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

That fourth could be Srbeny I suppose

What point is there having a 4th choice who offers something different, when they never get on the bench, let alone the pitch. You can't send them on to change a game by being different, if they are not on the bench.

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 1

The discussion here is now about whether we need three or four strikers for next season in the PL. From other posts, my understanding is Rhodes is a sixth choice striker for them as an average Championship club. Sixth choice! And they still claim he’s worth £7m. How much must the other five be worth? The rest of the squad must be absolute garbage to finish where they did in the league with five strikers worth over 7mil banging in goals for fun. 😂 

Plainly a completely outrageous evaluation with Wednesday trying it on because we got promoted. Webber has stated no price was agreed which is good enough for me. I’ll take Webbers word over Wednesdays on this one any day of the week. 😉 

He said he wants him though. I suspect Wednesday are playing hardball and will hope a Championship club will part with serious cash for his services and Rhodes can be convinced.

If not, I wouldn't rule out Sheff Weds blinking first and accepting much less than they want to get his wages off their books. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Very different situation with centre back and strikers. Norwich started every game with 2 centre backs. Norwich never started with 2 strikers. 

So if you play a formation with 2 centrebacks, most teams would want 4 players who can cover that position in the squad. If you play with one striker, most teams will want to go with 3 players in the squad.

Added to that, strikers are the most expensive players, in wages and fees. Any sensible squad management means you don’t sign one to be around but never really make the bench, let alone the pitch.

As King Canary so correctly points out, Norwich did this season with 3 strikers and Srbeny barely got a touch. With the tight budget Norwich have I can’t see them wanting to add an additional player to that area. 

That is all fair enough and I agree....up to a point.   We do need competition for Pukki though, so another striker is a must.  How do we get a second striker in who knows he won't get much game time because Pukki is the main man?  And where does that leave a third striker?   If we keep Srbeny, he is ok to come on to add a bit of directness to the play as a third choice, but that still leaves questions about a direct competitor for the main slot. 

Rhodes probably isn't going to do that, but if we get in someone as a second striker who is an unknown quantity and who doesn't gel with the team for some reason, or who gets injured, we are going to be relying on Srbeny for cover.  That doesn't seem right to me, nothing against Srbeny, but someone like Rhodes as well may be better than having just Srbeny as cover.  Or get a third striker in from somewhere else...and who would want to do that, knowing they wouldn't get much game time?  Rhodes fits thast scenario too......

Edited by lake district canary

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That is all fair enough and I agree....up to a point.   We do need competition for Pukki though, so another striker is a must.  How do we get a second striker in who knows he won't get much game time because Pukki is the main man?  And where does that leave a third striker?   If we keep Srbeny, he is ok to come on to add a bit of directness to the play as a third choice, but that still leaves questions about a direct competitor for the main slot. 

Rhodes probably isn't going to do that, but if we get in someone as a second striker who is an unknown quantity and who doesn't gel with the team for some reason, or who gets injured, we are going to be relying on Srbeny for cover.  That doesn't seem right to me, nothing against Srbeny, but someone like Rhodes as well may be better than having just Srbeny as cover.  Or get a third striker in from somewhere else...and who would want to do that, knowing they wouldn't get much game time?  Rhodes fits thast scenario too......

I’d have Rhodes as third choice, if a reasonably priced deal can be struck. Srbeny should be sold back to a German club. 

I don’t think Rhodes is good enough for 2nd choice, but I don’t think it would be tricky to convince someone to take that role - 2nd choice striker at a Premier League club is a pretty desirable role still. 

I would look to someone who has some flexibility so they can play other roles as well though. 

Webber said something in the interview about even if Norwich sign Rhodes they still need another striker and stresses how he was second choice in the Championship. To me this suggests they are looking at him to be third choice and getting someone else in as well. 

Ultimately Norwich are playing hard ball. They know that Rhodes wants to come to Norwich and that Sheff W really need he to go. Don’t think Norwich would be too concerned if the deal doesn’t get done right until the end of the window as Rhodes already knows the club and isn’t playing a pivotal role in the team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

If there was a clause in a contract stating the 7m agreement, we could not renegotiate and would simply have to abide by it. If it was inserted as an option (for one of or either teams) then the very key word here is option. In any business, if there is an option and your circumstances change, you are well within your rights to walk away. Equally, if your circumstances have changed but you still have an interest you may try to make it work by exploring different avenues. Nobody is holding hostages or pointing guns at anyone, it is an entirely reasonable and widely used business practice, in every industry. To suggest it is shameful is naïve, at best.

(All of the above entirely ignoring the fact that Webber has now said there was never anything related to the 7m and working on the premise this may have been the case)

What point is there having a 4th choice who offers something different, when they never get on the bench, let alone the pitch. You can't send them on to change a game by being different, if they are not on the bench.

Well it seems there was no option agreed and definitely no price agreed so I'm delighted to take back my earlier comments. Would still like Rhodes to come to us mind. Plenty of summer left for them to come to an agreement so you never know. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ultimately Norwich are playing hard ball. They know that Rhodes wants to come to Norwich and that Sheff W really need he to go. Don’t think Norwich would be too concerned if the deal doesn’t get done right until the end of the window as Rhodes already knows the club and isn’t playing a pivotal role in the team. 

I know you don't have any specific inside knowledge or anything on this deal BYG, but given you're better connected than most and certainly better versed in the footballing world, is your instinct that Rhodes ends up at City before the window "slams shut"?

18 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I know you don't have any specific inside knowledge or anything on this deal BYG, but given you're better connected than most and certainly better versed in the footballing world, is your instinct that Rhodes ends up at City before the window "slams shut"?

Norwich want to sign Rhodes, Rhodes wants to come to Norwich and Sheff W want Rhodes sold. 

Seems very likely that he’ll be a Norwich player before the first game of the season.

The main caveat on that is whether another club gets involved, but it seems Sheff W are very hard to deal with, so whoever it is, is probably going to face the same issue as Norwich regarding Jordan’s fee. 

Apologies if a repeat. From Webber interview:

First of all, we never had the option to buy him, in writing. We couldn’t agree that last summer so we didn’t have it. It was just a straight forward loan. So it’s not like we’ve tried to renegotiate that, it never existed.

It’s a difficult one with Jordan because he did so well for us, on and off the pitch. When we talk in terms of the cultural architects within the group, which we’ve spent a lot of time developing, that’s so important, that people get what we want to be.

He was an unbelievable leader in that and people will never – unless you’re in the building every day – appreciate what he gave to this club – in terms of other than the important goals he scored, which were there for all to see.

So if there was a way we could bring him back that would be great but at the same time, he’s 29, he’s got two years left on his contract at Wednesday, their valuation of him last summer was outrageous and that will be pretty high again. So it’s a really difficult deal for us to do. 

We’ve got a really small budget and to go and spend a lot of that on a 29-year-old who has a pretty high salary, which is well documented, that would be tough – for someone who was a number two striker, in the end, in the Championship.

We could be signing him and potentially another striker for the Premier League and then you’re thinking, does it make economic sense?

So it’s a tough one, a real tough one. We would love to bring Jordan back because of what he brings and we truly believe he would score goals in the Premier League. The goals are the same size and the thing with him is he knows how to score, he knows where to stand and somehow when the ball gets delivered he’s always there.

The way he supported Teemu (Pukki) and Dennis (Srbeny) was unbelievable but I think it’s a long shot for us, if I’m honest – and it pains me to say that.