TCCANARY

Patrick Roberts & the NCFC model

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I seem to remember David Bentley being pretty good for Norwich that season. 

Roberts has almost 100 senior appearances already in his career, about the same amount as Ravel Morrison has now. Although Scotland isn’t the best league in the world the pressure of playing for Celtic, especially as a young player, can be overwhelming. He seemed to excel in that environment. 

I think he can make a good contribution, but if not then it isn’t going to cost Norwich a huge amount of cash. 

Tale of two seasons with Bentley.

Spent the first half of the season trying to score 25 yard screamers without any consideration for the team- felt like the definition of 'not a team player' and much more focused on scoring worldies to make Wenger take notice.

After Worthy booted him out of training he seemed to knuckle down and improved in the second half of the season.

• Like 1

The management think he's worth a go so I suggest we wait and see. They don't all come off by any means but if you don't spin the wheel you don't win the prize.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Interestingly he's also signed a new two year deal with Man City, I'd assume they are protecting their investment.

I think Marcus Edwards was also dubbed the "English Messi"...

But whereas where Edwards was loaned out to Norwich in an attempt to get his head screwed on better, Roberts has already demonstrated that he is a good pro with 4 years solid first team experience.

Very excited to see him play - hopefully there is an option to buy in January in case he does too well and gets snapped up by another team.

• Like 1

Straight out of the Football Manager textbook this one! Get using that pl loan market before the others get involved for a quality player without spending £20m+

If he can avoid injuries he is a hell of a talent, up there with Maddison who took to the prem like a duck to water.

David Silva wont have long at the top level left either so big chance to show Pep he can make it at Man City as well as catch the eye of Southgate ahead of Euro 2020. The likes of Lingard and co are hardly shoe ins to make the squad.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

Interestingly he's also signed a new two year deal with Man City, I'd assume they are protecting their investment.

I wonder if that's 2 years on the end of the current one or effectively just a one year extension? Either way, much as bethnal predicted...

3 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I wonder if that's 2 years on the end of the current one or effectively just a one year extension? Either way, much as bethnal predicted...

2 years on the end apparently- so he's signed up to 2022. 

I imagine this is with a view to selling him if he has a good season with us.

Good signing. Just the kind of player you would want.  We really do have a great set up and one which will encourage the best young players to come here, whether on loan or as purchases - and this will create good  competition for wide positions generally. 

4 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

This guy seems to fit the mould.

Good pedigree > overhyped > fell away.

They come here get mega fit and get rebuilt in a supportive environment.

Looks to have outstanding technique but that only gets you so far in the premier league which is full of very strong and very fast 6ft + athletes.

They have seen something in him though maybe another x% they can extract with fitness and mentality.

Have you not seen Raheem Sterling?

Now it is sealed, I am relieved to hear that we have been following him. That is good news and not just a move for the sake of it.

7 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Written off prior to signing as pub league experience, lack of ambition, couldn't cut it elsewhere...steadily wins miserablist fans over...becomes firm fan favourite and player of the year, fans all then proclaim "I always knew he was going to be good". :classic_rolleyes:

Very much like Pukki. 👍😂

Apples

Are people writing him off?

Meh. Looks like a poor man’s Marco Stieperman to me. 😉

Rather have Audrey Roberts (has anyone done this one yet?).

Someone needs to explain the difference between a manager and a head coach to him. Obviously.

37 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Meh. Looks like a poor man’s Marco Stieperman to me. 😉

Rather have Audrey Roberts (has anyone done this one yet?).

Please, I thought we had all grown out of that sort of stuff.

32 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Please, I thought we had all grown out of that sort of stuff.

What “stuff”??? Do we need to have the emoji conversation again?

the comparisons to Bentley... he was actually a good signing for us I thought and had a successful career. If he turns out as good as Bentley esp the Blackburn one, I will be happy enough.

The fact that Man C. have extended his contract suggests that they think that they have a player on their hands and a good season with us would make him a valuable asset. 

If it doesn't work out for him, they can move him on and still get a fee. The fact that they've gone down this road, as opposed to just selling him means we've got serious potential through the door for very little money. 

Watching the interview with Webber, given they tried to sign him last year and Citeh have extended his contract, this really does seem a good signing.  The excitement builds, who else is arriving?

It is pleasing to see that once again Man City are happy to send one of their promising youngsters out on loan to us; look how well Angus Gunn did when he came to Norwich. You only have to look at the Man City squad to understand why the majority of their homegrown youngsters are unlikely to make it to the first team. I think a lot of managers in the Premiership would like to have Buendia, Hernandez, Cantwell and Roberts in their squad.

• Like 1

If there was a photo of him holding a Sheffield Utd shirt we’d be saying how we’d missed a trick not getting him here so I’m pleased with this

Th

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

If there was a photo of him holding a Sheffield Utd shirt we’d be saying how we’d missed a trick not getting him here so I’m pleased with this

True and this could turn out to be another Webber/Farke masterstroke.

Citeh are quite careful with placing their youngsters when considering loaning them out it would seem (Cue: praise for the importance of Neil Adams' role at Carrow Road.)

This signing has therefore no serendipity about it.

Our splendid playing style last season and the feelgood factor surrounding the club..

Our subsequent promotion.

Our success with young Gunn.

Farke's growing reputation as a coach and handler of men.

Must have all come into consideration when sending him to Carrow Road.

Good deal all round. Roberts will be well looked after and, injuries aside, seems bound to progress in line with his parent club's plans. 

That these plans could well involve, for the most part, wishing him then prepared for a healthy sell-on income just goes to emphasise the rarefied atmosphere that that club now exists in, the massive gap between the top six and the also rans and the difficulty of the task facing NCFC next season.  

We can only do our best and moves like this seem to suggest that this best is pretty sensible.

• Like 1

Lovely early doors business. But he will have to fight to earn a place. 

One will be hard to shift because he is so physically strong and that suits him to the EPL. 

Likewise Stieps is classic EPL build. 

Emi is too class. 

Todd Cantwell has a big challenge. This will make or break him. 

He is a solid signing;  low cost, low risk potentially high reward if it comes off and fits the home grown rules (8 of  the 25 still I think).   That is one of our two (domestic) loans sorted, I am assuming we will be seeking another as they are usually cost efficient.

Will be interesting to see if we also seek any loans from overseas clubs;   as long as they are not as expensive as the mbokani one they too could work for us - not sure what the limit is there.

Roberts clearly has talent but needs to be injury free and want to show his worth,  I am sure his honesty in recognising Girona was a tough season hints he is made of the right stuff. If he can do that he will be a great option that strengthens the depth of a squad that missed a spark when emi wasn't starting.