TCCANARY

Patrick Roberts & the NCFC model

On 30/05/2019 at 10:08, Bill said:

be prepared to be blown away

(best turn your sound down)

picks a through ball like Hoolahan, scores like Steiperman and runs at defenders like Onel - if we get him he will be one of our signings of the past decade or more

He looks good. But Im wary of signing strikers who wear green and white hoops and look good in youtube videos of their expolits in crappier leagues... Bad memories...

• Haha 1

On 30/05/2019 at 13:35, BobLoz3 said:

Don't really think that Bentley is a good comparison.

He got fed up of the game and retired. Perhaps his heart was never really in it.

I read once that Bentley didnt start playing football until he was 14. If that's true he had a meteoric rise. I got my kids into professional training as soon as they could kick a ball. But abandoned it because, well, they were sh*te and werent particularly into it. Proves the talent and interest has to be there to be able to teach it. Bentley not playing before he was 14 shows he probably wasnt that interested in football.

Wasnt in Benoit Assou-Ekotto who said he didnt even like football? Hasnt Danny Rose made similar noises?

On 30/05/2019 at 14:11, PurpleCanary said:

This could be chicken and egg! Perhaps Bentley got fed up because he wasn't having the career he thought he would have, and that others envisaged. And/or if his heart had never really been in the game that would be a factor as well. I wasn't saying this was the case with Roberts. If anything the comparison was with Ravel Morrison, who by all accounts was fantastically gifted, but...

Think Alex Ferguson called him the most talented youngster he'd ever seen. And he had Ronaldo as a froglet

On 30/05/2019 at 09:58, Old Shuck said:

Well he's been compared to, else likened to Messi in recent years (just Google Patrick Roberts/England's Messi or similar) into Google, that's all he needs!!

He shone at Celtic. All very well calling it a pub league but pub league or not, if you're crap and play in a pub league, then you look crap. I did and was.

He is coming off that same 'generation X' as the lad we signed from Spurs, Ravel Morrison (now playing in Sweden) and Phil Foden. Big season for Foden coming up 19/20, he's pushed on a little last time out and Man City are adamant he isn't going anywhere on loan but if he doesn't break into their 1st team soon, he might want away-but then does he become another Jack Rodwell or Scott Sinclair?

Remember Ched Evans when we had him on loan? Looked the real deal and then some-but whatever it was he had, he threw away.

So many young players explode onto the scene and everyone hangs their hats on them. Aaron Lennon was another. Some fade away, some do OK, some implode.

Roberts has, at least, been a little bit under the radar in Spain-maybe not quite so much expectancy and hype as there could have been had he gone to  a Prem team after Celtic?

Hope we sign him, he could end up being POTS this time next year-or he maybe another David Bentley. Them's the risks. But the fact we have chosen to put our faith in him and have faith he'll work into our club culture is encouraging.

Pochettino dubbed Marcus Edwards 'mini-Messi'. Lets hope his loan is more successful

On 30/05/2019 at 15:12, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I seem to remember David Bentley being pretty good for Norwich that season. 

Roberts has almost 100 senior appearances already in his career, about the same amount as Ravel Morrison has now. Although Scotland isn’t the best league in the world the pressure of playing for Celtic, especially as a young player, can be overwhelming. He seemed to excel in that environment. 

I think he can make a good contribution, but if not then it isn’t going to cost Norwich a huge amount of cash. 

Maddison seemed to improve after his stint at Aberdeen. It could be argued however he may have developed at least as well if given game time for us instead

On 30/05/2019 at 15:26, king canary said:

Tale of two seasons with Bentley.

Spent the first half of the season trying to score 25 yard screamers without any consideration for the team- felt like the definition of 'not a team player' and much more focused on scoring worldies to make Wenger take notice.

After Worthy booted him out of training he seemed to knuckle down and improved in the second half of the season.

That's how I remember him too. Before I read your post I was wondering if I'd misjudged him all those years ago. But probably not.

I hated how, for many (particularly Arsenal fans, understandably) our season became about how Bentley was doing

Cover for Emi, Hernandez and Steipermann presumably.  Very exciting prospect. Has good passing stats, creativity and can make line breaking dribbles. Hopefully he stays fit. Webber and team have done well to sign him.